Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The fact is that non-FFLs CANNOT request a background check on a potential buyer, nor can they get 4473 forms. So how can "universal" background checks work?

Then there's the problem with "transfer" of firearms. Technically, under the proposed law, if I hand you a gun to inspect it, that's a transfer - and a felony. You could not even touch a gun that's not under your name. The whole concept is illegal and unworkable.

In Colorado at gun shows, they have folks set up all they do is transfers. A non-FFL sells a gun you go over to the folks doing FFL transfers with buyer and they do the transfer, the buyer pays the fee. I bought a rifle from a guy on 24hour from Colorado when I was stationed there. I told him I had a ffl to do the transfer. He drove down from Denver, and we did the transfer. I'm not advocating universal background checks but it is not as complicated as folks make it out to be.

Exactly how Kommiefornia has been doing it for 30 years. I'm lucky enough to have a gun store about a mile away that I've done dozens of private transactions at over the last 20 years.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

C
Caplock Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, that went over like a turd in the water can. What I was proposing was an alternative to the stringent regulations that loom before us. If a simple showing of a CCH card can help me avoid all kinds of red tape from proposed new laws(notice that circumvention of the law is not the intent) then I'm all for it.

And yeah, I am smoking a pipe but its Cavendish and Burley mix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The fact is that non-FFLs CANNOT request a background check on a potential buyer, nor can they get 4473 forms. So how can "universal" background checks work?

Then there's the problem with "transfer" of firearms. Technically, under the proposed law, if I hand you a gun to inspect it, that's a transfer - and a felony. You could not even touch a gun that's not under your name. The whole concept is illegal and unworkable.

Well Rocky I have been dealing with this since 91. Nebraska rules.

Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 69-2403: May not receive transfer of a handgun without first obtaining either a handgun certificate or concealed handgun permit, both of which require a background check.

No background check requirement for private sales of rifles or shotguns.

Neb. Rev. Stat. § 28-1206: May not knowingly transfer firearms to anyone who is prohibited from doing so under state law.

Now since that time the general rule for private transfers of handguns was to write down the weapon serial # along with Name, DL# and purchase permit, or (CHP# now) and expiration date. Put this away for your own protection.
If the law ever came knocking it was proof that you did your due diligence for proper sale, even at gun shows. There was no mandatory mechanism for BC by private individuals.
People at gun ranges it was generally safe as they all started requiring proof of handgun certificate or CHP to be a member. Immediate family excluded.
What they want is every transfer to go through an FFL.

Swifty
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is how it might go down. They will clump all semi autos into NFA class 3. The current AR's out their will be grandfathered, but any new sales one will have to troop down to the gun store. Select their AR then submit paperwork for the tax stamp. Just like buying a suppressor. In 70 days, you get the call and go get your AR, also with that AR can no longer be sold to individuals unless you they go through dealer. After arranging with the dealer, it is then necessary to get approval for the transfer from the ATF. This is done by submitting an ATF Form 4. The cost to process the transfer is $200 and requires the applicant to submit identifying information. Approval for the item will come back in the form of a "tax stamp." Once the ATF approves the transfer, the buyer can then complete the transaction with their NFA Dealer. They also could give all current owners of AR's 1 year?? to submit for their tax stamp. if you have a chit load of AR's better get ready to pony up some cash. All you out their with a calculator take 15million times that by $200. Let me know what you get.

Last edited by 79S; 06/07/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never give up or concede any right willingly, ever.

Originally Posted by Caplock
Well, that went over like a turd in the water can. What I was proposing was an alternative to the stringent regulations that loom before us. If a simple showing of a CCH card can help me avoid all kinds of red tape from proposed new laws(notice that circumvention of the law is not the intent) then I'm all for it.

And yeah, I am smoking a pipe but its Cavendish and Burley mix.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So now we're supposed to have a CCP to buy or sell a long gun or shotgun? I don't think so.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.