W
Will it work?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it’s alive. U bet.

I have had great luck using it for catfish. Dead ones.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks, The bait shop in Wabigoon gets, $$$$ for minnows.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There are some rubber tails for jigs that are killer for Canadian walleyes. Not sure anyone needs live bait other than leeches maybe?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus1895
If it’s alive. U bet.

I have had great luck using it for catfish. Dead ones.
Saw a kid catch a walleye on a dead shrimp fishing for catfish.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have used Berkley GULP shrimp for smallies....doubt walleye would be any different.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Why not just trap your own minnows? 20.00 trap and a handful of dog food or chips and your set.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Osky
There are some rubber tails for jigs that are killer for Canadian walleyes.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

If ya gotta go live, stick 1/4 of a crawler on the hook along with the rubber tail.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can you not do any good dragging plugs Wabi? We caught 14 yesterday trolling cranks. And other than the occasional bottom bouncing or popping a jig head with crawlers trolling is really the only way we catch them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ontario won't let us Yankees trap our own minnows. The lakes we fish are rock bottoms, plugs get lost.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ontario won't let us Yankees trap our own minnows. The lakes we fish are rock bottoms, plugs get lost.

Right now you shouldn't be dealing with much in the way of rocky bottoms. We always hit the inflow and outflow areas this time of year. In the lakes we fish.........that's 3-8 feet of water and sand/mud bottom.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm dealing with too many doctors until late June to go fishing.

Melanoma behind my right ear, a torn meniscus in my left knee, and I need cataract surgery on both eyes, other than that I'm in great shape. laugh

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
How are you fishing your minnows, under a bobber? If it’s too rocky to drag plugs or pull bouncers id probably have to just pitch jigs and deal with losing some. If you’re fishing flats with a relatively consistent depth I suppose you could fish jigs under a slip cork set to keep them right above the rocks.

Interesting to me to hear how others work around conditions and obstacles in their area.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
How are you fishing your minnows, under a bobber? If it’s too rocky to drag plugs or pull bouncers id probably have to just pitch jigs and deal with losing some. If you’re fishing flats with a relatively consistent depth I suppose you could fish jigs under a slip cork set to keep them right above the rocks.

Interesting to me to hear how others work around conditions and obstacles in their area.

If it’s too rocky a bottom and maybe 6’ deep or better ( depending on water clarity ) be patient and park over top of them and jig vertically. You don’t have to let your bait down onto the bottom, just close. Lift up and down gently. Fish see upwards just fine, they will come and get it.
Vertical jigging like this it won’t make much difference what you tip the jig with.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried shrimp for catfish a couple times. It may have worked except the turtles would be on that shrimp almost immediately. I would end up catching a turtle as an unintended catch before a catfish could bite almost every time.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we go up in August we fish a whole different program. THEN we're fishing the rocky bottoms.

3-way swivel with a bottom-bouncer sinker off one and a "Little John" type spinner and beads (3 or 4 foot leader) with a crawler or minnow on the other. Backtroll that in (generally) 12-25 feet over rocky bottoms.......wherever we find the fish.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Same issue I had with trying dead shrimp... turtles, and I hate catching turtles. Well, actually more that I hate getting them off the hook... especially the stupid softshells with that longazz neck. 🙄

I did get some catfish, but I got way more turtles than I have with any other bait.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
You can still bring nightcrawlers across the border into Canada. In my experience, they work just about as good as leeches for walleye. I use about half a crawler on a hook and slip bobber rig.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.