Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
A few years ago my friend croaked on me who I used to pound steel with. He crafted my ammo that we used and had the implements to do so. Since I've cavemanned my own and it's confusing as hell with die sets, expanders, measuring implements and gouges and all the bits and bobs. I slum blackpowder some but it's still a mystery to me. Why does this have to be so tool and time intensive? Even some of my new current reloading book have errors in them I've caught and it just makes things worse. I wish brass didn't have to be so far out of shape, wish things were simpler. I get by but it's not fun at times and there's some frustration. Anneal, trim, Guage, measure. Does anyone find it a pain and share in frustration?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
A few years ago my friend croaked on me who I used to pound steel with. He crafted my ammo that we used and had the implements to do so. Since I've cavemanned my own and it's confusing as hell with die sets, expanders, measuring implements and gouges and all the bits and bobs. I slum blackpowder some but it's still a mystery to me. Why does this have to be so tool and time intensive? Even some of my new current reloading book have errors in them I've caught and it just makes things worse. I wish brass didn't have to be so far out of shape, wish things were simpler. I get by but it's not fun at times and there's some frustration. Anneal, trim, Guage, measure. Does anyone find it a pain and share in frustration?

There’s a learning curve but once you pick up the fundamentals it’s mostly following a cookbook from that point as far as loading. There’s always something to learn as far nodes and learning how to dial in a load for a given rifle as quickly as possible.

If you’re brand new to handloading make sure your brass is well lubed before running it into a die!😂

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I guess the tooling has been the biggest hurdle for me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s funny you mention it buddy. I have been hammering away since I was 13, 44 now.

I’m moving houses, my reloading gear is packed away and I have zero interest of rushing into a new reloading set up at the new place. My fix, I bought a plain Jane 7mm Rem Mag, I’ll mount a good scope in good mounts. I bought 3 different types of factory ammo I’ll try in the gun. I’ll pick the one that shoots best, zero at 250. Then I’ll order 100-200 rounds and just have fun shooting this summer without the worry of messing with brass prep, loading, dribbling powder, etc.

If I really get the need to load something I’ll go to my brothers and load something on his press but I don’t see it happening.

Sometimes there’s a little fun in just shooting and not worrying about a 1/4” or 50 FPS…. At least that is what I’m telling myself now.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess the tooling has been the biggest hurdle for me
I thing that’s true for everyone. It’s a PIA but like anything it’s trial and error go slow and overtime it’s still a hassle to set up but gets way less frustrating. If you load for several cartridges having a few presses makes life easier.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You're over thinking it, it ain't rocket surgery unless you make it so. Anymore, I don't get a big thrill out of reloading, it's a means to and end.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started loading fired 9x19 with a Lyman 310 tool and a scale, no powder measure, and sometimes decapped with a finishing nail and a hammer 50+years ago in the earliest days.

These days I have a Hollywood Universal Turret with small and large die holes (Elmer Keith wrote that it was the very best), a Hornady Progressive with a case feeder, a Harrel's 4 position turret and a Load Anywhere portable , a CoAx and a Redding T7. RCBS Casemaster, Redding Instant Indicators and Wilson case gages and Wilson micrometer case trimmer to go with a Forster case trimmer and a power setup using a drill press. A variety of powder measures with a full set of Little Dandy rotors and all the rest. I thought that each and everything I added would make my handloads easier and better. Just maybe the additions did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There must be a million different perspectives on handloading. Personally, I enjoy the experimentation. I apply it to hunting because I enjoy that too, but to me the journey is about more than just what happens in the field. To each his own, and enjoy.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Reloading isn't really hard at all, especially if you have
a knowledgeable mentor that isn't FOS
A good many of the pinheads on yoofloob that
profess to be expert reloaders are extremely FOS, and
it's a devine miracle they still have all their fingers and
both their eyeballs
As far as saving money, I don't think reloading saves
any money in 2022.
If I had to start fresh in 2022 with no tools or
components, I believe I'd as soon buy case lots of
ammunition suitable for my firearms and call it good.
One thing I will say. Powder and bullet manufacturers
spend no telling how much for R&D, and want you
to keep buying their products, so the likelihood
that they'd steer you wrong as far as data is low

Good Luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been at it more than 50 years. I either enjoy it or I'm a glutton for punishment.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just keep doing it. Repetition brings on muscle memory, especially brain muscle. Read how others do it, with regard to the mechanics. Then try it yourself. There are some good loaders here on the campfire. Barsness(Mule Deer) literally wrote the book(s). His articles, columns and posts are worth adhering to.

If you see something brilliant posted that seems to apply to a problem you have comment on it. Have a problem with no solution, ask guidance. There are some AH personality types here but many more willing to help, sometimes even the AHs. But keep doing it. The only mentor I had was 4 hours away. But I got the basics down working with him. In 2010 I built my bench and jumped in. Made some mistakes and learned from them. Right now I don’t know nearly as much as I thought I did back in 2010. But it has become a pleasing experience for me. And new stuff keeps popping up. Good luck to you.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like reloading and it's a hellva lot better than laundry, toilet and dish cleaning, and vacuuming . . .

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The good thing is I only make up ammo for personal consumption and not any competitive pursuit. It's been good to me as per getting more proficient with my 270 and 308win. I'm very happy with the results at 400 and 500yd, it's paid off but the case prep is a pain. I can't say the same about straight walled cases as I'm still slumming those together and I know it can be done with better discipline and construction. There's certain dies and buttons and expanders and such that make no sense to me. The bottle neck cases seem easier with my tools

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Richard Noggins that talk the loudest either are trying to impress,
or know nothing.

You force a case into a die to size it, it's adjustable for length, and primer punch.
Read the die directions.

Seat a primer.
Read the press or tool directions.

Set your scales.
Read the directions

Dump powder charge.
Press the bullet in using the seating die.
It's adjustable for bullet and crimp amount/no crimp.
Read the directions.

A bit harder than that, not much.
Find a guy who you know reloads, but doesn't brag about it like
he is building the Eifle Tower while painting the Sistine Chapel.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The good thing is I only make up ammo for personal consumption and not any competitive pursuit. It's been good to me as per getting more proficient with my 270 and 308win. I'm very happy with the results at 400 and 500yd, it's paid off but the case prep is a pain. I can't say the same about straight walled cases as I'm still slumming those together and I know it can be done with better discipline and construction. There's certain dies and buttons and expanders and such that make no sense to me. The bottle neck cases seem easier with my tools

Anything in particular you would care to mention? There are a lot of good members here and unless you've tangled with something quite exotic you can probably get an explanation from someone in a short time.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
One of the worst things I don't do right is neck tension and case tension of straight walled cases. There's also videos I've watched about expanding such cases and this is one that's a bit of difficulty. That is adjusting for minimal brass working and such. Then there's these terms like "bumping a shoulder" and it seems some chambers are not within spec. Lots of issues that can come up and some terms are difficult to find in print. Fact is some terms are actually not correct yet widely used so that's an added bunch of jargon

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does anyone find it a pain and share in frustration?

Not me, I've been doing it since '72 and thoroughly enjoy the pursuit.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Reloading, there’s not must of a gray area. Your either a reloader or your not.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Does anyone find it a pain and share in frustration?

Not me, I've been doing it since '72 and thoroughly enjoy the pursuit.

The cost of a nice setup like Dillon with the necessary accoutrements costs about what a new car cost in 1972. 😁. The amount of options and crossover compatibility for a newcomer is daunting.

Like mathman said though, there are countless great guys here like yourself SoG with years of experience that are always willing to share their tips and tricks….one of the GREAT things about this place in my opinion. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is what makes it a satisfying pursuit. But it doesn't have to be so complicated that you can't get started and enjoy it. Buy a Lee Classic loader and make some ammo!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.