-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was in my 20s, my cousin from Iowa came to Virginia with his fiance who had never been to the ocean, and thought seagulls were very exotic animals. She was literally in a sense of wonder and awe when we took her though the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. She had never been "underwater" in a tunnel with ships passing above.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never saw the Indian Ocean.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Born and raised in the Rocky Mountains, don't remember the first time i laid eye's on ocean, but it was on the west coast, i was more impressed with riding the train across The Great Salt Lake, now that was impressive to a 6 yr. old. I've been to Europe, And the Orient, crossed both oceans, don't care if i ever see the ocean again, and i can stand on a brick and see the Gulf from here, don't care. when i go some where it's to the Rocky Mountains. Rio7

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
My mother-in-law will be seeing the ocean for the first time at the end of the month and she is 95 years old. cant imagine..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got a neighbor who is 72 and claims he's never been more than 50 miles from where he was born. He has no teeth and can eat a steak or corn on the cob like he has a month full of teeth.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cert... Nice pic!

Rog... Nice Sail!

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve got a buddy whom had never been on a plane or seen the ocean.
He works for the navy base here and they sent him to Australia for two weeks. I don’t think he could have been more impressed if he had been to outer space.
He was completely blown away.

Me, I’ve seen the Pacific, the Atlantic, and the Gulf of Mexico. Couldn’t really care less if I ever saw an ocean again. Just not my thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not hard for me to imagine.

150 miles to Baltimore. (The Chesapeake)
250 to the Atlantic.

There are a lot of people right here who have never seen the ocean,
A whole lot more who have seen it once. And either just crossed that
of a list, or just plain had no desire to see it again.

Water, that you can't see across.
Wind, and sand.
And an assload of people.
That's not a big draw for everyone. Heck, I know of some folks who
have a Delaware farm a couple miles from the ocean, they never go.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Before I was 8 I had crossed the Atlantic by boat FOUR times, the pacific by air Twice...

One Atlantic trip was on a 230' Freighter, mom says it was not a fun trip, took almost a month, left Southhampton UK, and stopping at a bunch of ports from NYC down the coast to FL.

Again the Atlantic on the SS United States... coming home from England.

The Pacific was a combination of Commercial and military flights, CA, HI, Midway, Wake, Guam.... one leg was on a Lockheed Constellation...

I never thought that odd..

What was strange to me, I worked with a guy in Miami that went to CO for a hunting trip or some such, mid 80s IIRC, he met a guy that worked on the 'ranch' that questioned him re: Black people............... he had never seen one!!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Got a neighbor who is 72 and claims he's never been more than 50 miles from where he was born. He has no teeth and can eat a steak or corn on the cob like he has a month full of teeth.

Does he go by “Beaver10?”

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Worked with a dim-wit whose family was moving to Washington.
He quit a week before the move to spend some time at the Jersey shore because, and I quote,
"There's no ocean in Washington State."

Oh, the people I have worked with! crazy

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wet my feet in 4 of the 5 oceans. I’d like to see the Antarctic but probably not going to happen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you live near an ocean or lake, you will be much better off than somewhere that's not walking distance in an SHTF scenario. I would never starve living where I do.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Born in the desert but just a few hours from the Pacific or Baja, I'm as comfortable on the ocean as in the desert or mountains. Worked in Hawaii for the company here on a building project, the house they had for us workers was on the North shore, snorkeled the reefs every day after work to get away from the crew I worked with all day, slept on an army cot in the carport for the same reasons. Experienced some really cool chit out in those reefs. I've spent a lot of time in the Colorado rockies also, a bunch of time down in Mexico fishing fresh or salt water.

What I've never done is gone west of Texas and I was only in Texas once in '79 for company training, Sherman Texas and bumped up to Oklahoma one evening to a bar, as wherever I was at was dry.

Never say never but I doubt I'll ever go back east.

Often when I discover an 1000 year old indian ruin out in the desert, I look around at what their world was, where the water was, where the food sources where, what their whole life involved. Most were born and died within a few miles of that ruin, a few might have traveled out to hunt and even trade... but what you could see was their entire world.

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Gross.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not I, next Friday our plan is to fly to Boston.

A teabag in the harbor, a ride on a tall ship, game at Fenway, church at the Old North Church.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian. They're not at big as I thought

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hardway
I was reminded of my own naïveté today… Wife and I are in OKC visiting for a few days and I was chatting with a 50ish year old fella at the gas station…. He claimed he had never seen an ocean in his lifetime…. Crazy to hear living in Cali my whole life less than a couple hours from the pacific….. So let’s hear it…. Who has never seen the ocean?

Ps…. Apologies if Wabi has already asked this 🤣
I saw three years of it in the USN.. laugh laugh Loved it then - still do..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not I, next Friday our plan is to fly to Boston.

A teabag in the harbor, a ride on a tall ship, game at Fenway, church at the Old North Church.
Prepare yourself!

What's the occasion?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Saw Lake Huron for the first time when I was about 8. Told parents I didn't know we were so close to the ocean. Not an ocean, that's the lake they said. No way! I said.

A couple years later I saw the Atlantic...wow! No questioning that sucker.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (Amos63, akrange, APTXBROWN, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.