Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Leftybolt
Been reloading for 30 years. Never deburred a flash hole in my life. Never had a problem finding sub MOA loads on every rifle I’ve owned…many of them sub-1/2 MOA.

Just my experience.

Leftybolt

We all load "sub 1/2 moa" loads. Shouldn't even be brought up as a criteria. Just the funny thing is you all say it, but no one can prove it.. ha ha.. However, at least checking the flash hole should be a something a good handloader does.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had a critter stand there and laugh, "HaHa, you didn't deburr your flash hole!".

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I do it with one cartridge, my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle--but have never actually tested whether it made any difference. After all, a primer's flame is a LOT longer than the flash-hole, even one with a considerable "ridge" around it.

But quit doing it with all other rifle cartridges years ago, due to finding too many grouped extremely well without it, including light big game rifles that would put 5 shots into half an inch or even less at 100 yards, not just 3 shots. Would deburring the flash holes reduce those groups significantly? I doubt it.
Try it with sub par brass and past 500 yards thats the true test, the farther you shoot the more things matter

Why would anybody use "sub par brass" if they intend shooting big game past 500 yards?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Never had a critter stand there and laugh, "HaHa, you didn't deburr your flash hole!".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i agree with what Mule Deer does , my bench rifles i always check new lapua brass , i do also check my long range hunting new brass i use on big game, not all of this brass is Lapua because Lapua does not always make what cartridge brass i need like 257 Weatherby brass so then i have to check and deal with each piece of brass and it can be very tedious and boring as heck. but doing this type of inspection and working with each brass case you decided to keep you can have some very good brass to use to hunt with confidence for that one shot. here is a short story about a buck antelope i shot ,i knew the distances of this big alfalfa field in Wyoming i crawled up this small hill and when i got to the top of this grassy hill , i could see at least 75 -100 antelope and one very nice antelope buck with big cutters standing at 625 - 650 yards so with my rifle laying down with my short Harris bi-pod i got ready for the shot with my rework silver plated Federal brass that was weighed and neck turned too. this rifle had a custom Lilja barrel with machining done by Jerry Siminson including the 257 Weatherby mag chambering , i did all the stock bedding work and trigger set at 1 1/2 lb. with a 6 1/2- 20 x50 leupold this Remington 700 shot very fine . i knew i only would get one decent shot , i had been practicing out to 700 yards . so i took the shot with this rifle this bullet was a 100 gr. Nosler Partition velocity was 4,000 + check with my conograph too. buck went down so fast and all the rest ran away very fast. this buck had 7 inch cutters and was 14 1/4 long best i ever have taken . so its possible to inspect regular brand brass and end up with some good brass but Lapua brass is still the very best made.

Last edited by pete53; 06/13/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Vital if you just so happen to be OCD and A-R...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have read that it is more important to deburr & uniform flash holes if you are using ball powder... So i now do it if ball powder will be used... Dunno if it makes a difference or not... But i at least check all flash holes for problems...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Puddle

Yep! But I am OCD and A-R enough to have compared the results with the same big game loads, with and without deburring the flash holes, and never could find any difference, even in super-accurate rifles, whether factory or custom. The reason for that? I handload more than most hunters, and am very happy to save bench-time by NOT doing stuff that doesn't make any difference....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It all depends on what brass you are talking about and what condition the flash hole is from the factory. If its real rough and not a nice clean flash hole, I'll "debur" it. If it doesn't have burrs, don't waste your time. I've seen some schidt factory flash holes that had to be deburred and also hit from the inside with a tool as well. New Winchester brass comes to mind. One of the reason I don't buy the chidt anymore. Lapua: no you don't have to mess with the flash hole.

Agree on Lapua - also Nosler and Peterson

RP and Win definitely get deburred.

20 cases can be done in 10 minutes and it only needs to be done one time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Puddle

Yep! But I am OCD and A-R enough to have compared the results with the same big game loads, with and without deburring the flash holes, and never could find any difference, even in super-accurate rifles, whether factory or custom. The reason for that? I handload more than most hunters, and am very happy to save bench-time by NOT doing stuff that doesn't make any difference....

There ya go MD spouting logic and common sense. Out of the hundreds of millions factory big game ammo that’s produced and sold have the flash holes deburred? I am sure that Hornadys American Whitetail ammo which all laud as superbly accurate have to have each and every flash hole hand inspected and deburred.

🤣

Complete waste of time.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I do them for the hell of it, probably makes no difference at all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I do it with one cartridge, my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle--but have never actually tested whether it made any difference. After all, a primer's flame is a LOT longer than the flash-hole, even one with a considerable "ridge" around it.

But quit doing it with all other rifle cartridges years ago, due to finding too many grouped extremely well without it, including light big game rifles that would put 5 shots into half an inch or even less at 100 yards, not just 3 shots. Would deburring the flash holes reduce those groups significantly? I doubt it.
Try it with sub par brass and past 500 yards thats the true test, the farther you shoot the more things matter

Why would anybody use "sub par brass" if they intend shooting big game past 500 yards?
When theres nothing else available thats why.
I started shooting 6.5x300wsm over 15 years ago and had to prep the crap out of Win. 300wsm brass to get rid of unexpected flyers.
Now that I shoot ADG 300wsm in it not a problem.
This is why my original statement was depending on brass and intended purpose.

Last edited by sherm_61; 06/13/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Total waste of time. Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It is a thing that bench rest shooters do and I believe it serves a purpose for that game. For anything else , no . If it were really needed it would be done at the factory. I do it on all of my bottle neck cartridges with the exception of Lapua, Sako, and Norma which are manufactured with no burr . I don't really need to do it but I have the tool and it is no big deal time or labor wise .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I do it for peace of mind. Do all you can for CONSISTANCY. It does not take long to do, and you can feel some that are really bad. Does it make any difference? I like to think so. Good shooting.

Peace of mind is why I do it too. I usually load 100 cartridges at a time, so it doesn't take long to debur those case and once done, it doesn't ever need to be done again. I don't know that doing this improves accuracy, but it doesn't seem to hurt accuracy, and it is part of my process, like trimming all cases to the same length. Being retired for almost 1/3 of my life has provided the time to over-do some things that a person with less free time might choose not to do.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I get a new batch if brass, whether brand new or once fired I generally trim to the "trim to" length, chamfer the necks, ream the flash holes and uniform the primer pockets.The last two are a one time type of task so why not? Does it do any good? Damned if I know. I like to think it does, so I do it. It does eliminate some of the variables.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, Johnny's right on again. I DID experiment with several uber-accurate varmint rifles and deburred flash holes made no difference at all ... at least, within statistical bounds.

Sometimes we work ourselves silly trying to achieve better results. Often it works, but almost as often, it doesn't.

Blessings to all,

Steve

PS. To those who care, I'm still fighting the bad stuff and apparently not winning. COVID-19 vaccine killed my auto-immune system and it's been the fourteen months from Hell. Honestly not sure I'm going to make it. S.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You said uber accurate varment rifles, ive got dozen or so varment rifles also that I dont deburr flasholes either.
But when you start in with LR hunting and BR rifles little things matter so there is a difference in rifles and intended purpose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do them, as I usually do them when the wife is watching something on tv I don’t like. Honestly as BSA mentioned good brass doesn’t need it.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I only do it for a couple of my most accurate rifles with small capacity cases such as a 22 Hornet and a 221 Fireball.

If you’re gonna do it you have to make sure you’ve got a good reference for the cutter. Mine is a Lyman and it has a cone shaped, length stop. With it, I do it right after trimming to uniform length. That way I have the cone bearing on a 90 degree edge on the inside of the case mouth as a reference.

I uniform one case to set the stop and then mount it the tool on my case prep machine along with in/out chamfer cutters and go to it. It only takes a couple of seconds and I’m not loading for a ground squirrel or PD shoot.

I don’t think that it makes enough difference but it makes me think I’ve eliminated all variables on the little ones

. Example of one…I did a test with one of my 308 40-XBs. I uniformed the flash holes of 5, uniformed the primer pocket of 5, uniformed both flash holes and primer pockets on 5 and five I loaded with no modification.

I marked each batch but for whatever reason, it was a while before I fired them so it was sorta like a “blind test”. The winning group (200 yds) was one with the “stock” brass. 😳 oh well….

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.