Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by akasparky
It's obviously not his strong point.
102 miles @ $7 per mile = $714.00

Gas @ $5.00 gal. @ 20 mpg @ 102 miles = $25.50

Electric =
Originally Posted by badger
13.7 cents/mile

OR $14.00 for 102 miles with AC cranking..

Don't forget to add your or your employee's salary into the extra 20Min worth of down-time vs. 2-3min gas/diesel fill. Figure anyone making over $60K is falling behind financially. 2080hrs in a "work year". For easy math, call it 2K hrs in a work year. That means .50/hr = $1K/yr. So, @ $60K, you're making $30/hr, There are 3 20-minute portions of an hour so $30/3 = $10. Add that $10 to the $14 the charge cost you and you're @ $24, pretty darned close to the $25.50 paid by someone getting 20MPG.

Moot point, Simon is retired.

Not a moot point for anyone considering an EV who ISN'T retired.

I'm not pro nor anti EV, I don't have an agenda at all regarding vehicles. I drive ~70K Mi/yr and have for over 20yrs, so I go through them fairly quickly and I buy what meets my needs for comfort, longevity, MPG, etc. I'm not really "brand loyal", I'm "service loyal" in that I buy from dealerships who've taken good care of me and my vehicle service needs in the past.

I like the idea of 100% Tq from a stand-still. I LOVE the idea of true AWD with a motor at each corner. I've put untold hrs on bow-mount electric trolling-motors on several boats and other than a wire-brush to the battery connections once and a while, they're basically maintenance-free an electric motor that spends it's entire working life under water with zero maintenance, I hope someday there's an EV to meet my needs and budget.

I talked w/a buddy the other day who owns a small-town plumbing business. They rarely get more than ~30Mi from the shop. He's going to buy an electric van as soon as Ford opens up 2023 ordering and builds one for him. 50-100Mi/day and back into the shop every night to charge, makes sense for him, or he's willing to find out anyway. I'm really looking forward to his evaluation after he puts one into service.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds like a legitimate, solid, and wise investment.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My brother and I drove to Hickory yesterday. In 95 degree weather, you lose 40 percent of your mileage due to a/c. When we left home the Tesla computer said we had 265 miles in the tank, but in fact we could only go 159 miles.

The Tesla Supercharger is fast. In 22 minutes we put enough juice in to travel the 102 miles to home. Cost $14.

This was at a big new Sheetz gas station on I40. They have 8 Tesla Superchargers.

There is no slot for your credit card. You don't pay the cashier inside. You just plug in. Tesla knows who you are and they bill you.

So, what I take from this is; if a man isn't a candy ass and leaves the ac off, he could save 14 bucks and travel further. Maybe retro-fit that thing with an ac system which is gas powered. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's a big fight in Idaho right now about a proposed "Lava Ridge Wind Project". It's proposed to cover 73,000 acres of BLM land. Here are some of the specs:

The proposed project includes up to 400 wind energy generating turbines, up to seven new substations, approximately 198 miles of 34.5 kilovolt (kV) collector lines, 34 miles of 230 kV transmission lines, 18 miles of 500 kV transmission lines, 381 miles of access roads, 47 miles of temporary crane walk paths, a battery energy storage system, three operations and maintenance facilities, five permanent met towers, and construction-related staging yards. Engineering is preliminary, but the turbines may have a maximum height (including the rotor) of up to 740 feet.

This is favored by Biden and has his support. What it is is a huge giveaway of our public lands. While this land isn't the greatest hunting area in Idaho, it sets a dangerous precedent for private companies getting permanent control of our property.
At the same time, there are several huge solar projects in the works in Idaho but they're all on private land.

But yet somehow the Keystone pipeline was going to be too damaging to the environment??LOL

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know several guys that own Teslas. They all like ‘em. But these are pretty high income folks that own other toys (Porsche GT4, ie). They use them as commuter cars and have their own charging stations. The Tesla S I drove will pin you to the seat, but it doesn’t handle well. The 918 GT4 is an absolute hoot to drive, very fast and sticks to the road like it’s on rails.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a link to a very interesting article on the true environmental costs in order to use "clean energy" electric vehicles. I can't verify any of the information in the article; however, the author seems to be a credible source.
https://www.cfact.org/2022/06/07/is-it-ethical-to-purchase-a-lithium-battery-powered-ev/?s=03

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just did some research on this a few weeks ago at work.

In cold weather, you lose about 41% of your range when you run the heaters full blast. You also lose about 20% of your range at 75mph. So driving 500 miles in a day in subzero temperatures probably isn't even possible.

The hydrogen fuel cell vehicles look more promising for folks that live in cold areas, especially when you have to drive long distances. Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai all make them but there are no commercial hydrogen refueling stations in the US outside of California and Hawaii.

With a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, you can get about 350 miles out of a 5 minute refuel. The standard right now is a tank that holds 4kg of hydrogen at 10,000psi. You can make hydrogen gas anyplace that has water and electricity but the government doesn't seem interested in incentivizing a hydrogen infrastructure.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My take away on the plausibility of much widespread everyday use of electric vehicles is we are multiple decades away from having anywhere near the power grid coverage to continue supplying reliable, uninterrupted service to existing needs PLUS 24/7/365 recharging of millions of electric vehicles, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My brother and I drove to Hickory yesterday. In 95 degree weather, you lose 40 percent of your mileage due to a/c. When we left home the Tesla computer said we had 265 miles in the tank, but in fact we could only go 159 miles.

The Tesla Supercharger is fast. In 22 minutes we put enough juice in to travel the 102 miles to home. Cost $14.

This was at a big new Sheetz gas station on I40. They have 8 Tesla Superchargers.

There is no slot for your credit card. You don't pay the cashier inside. You just plug in. Tesla knows who you are and they bill you.
Is this the part where if you drive too much they unplug you?...wtf is the point behind not paying with cash or credit card?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In the last 15 years, I've made approximately 150 one thousand mile round-trip runs on interstate highways in the mid and deep South for business and family reasons. I have NEVER seen an electric vehicle on the interstate during those 150,000 miles of driving. They simply are not the proper tool for the job of moderate to long distance automobile travel.

RS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You have to stop about every 130 miles down South on a hot day, to charge up. We knew we would run out if juice at 159 miles, but there aren't all that many charging stations, so in fact you will stop on a day like this about every 130, maybe 140 miles.

Bad deal to run out of gas in the Tesla on I 40 on a hot day in Dixie.

I would like to know how it would do in real cold weather.

lol. sitting a few hours in a traffic jam in 100 degree weather and you're still 80 miles from a charging station. does one carry a few blister packs of AA's in the glove compartment for emergencies?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cross

In cold weather, you lose about 41% of your range when you run the heaters full blast. You also lose about 20% of your range at 75mph. So driving 500 miles in a day in subzero temperatures probably isn't even possible.

The hydrogen fuel cell vehicles look more promising for folks that live in cold areas, especially when you have to drive long distances. Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai all make them but there are no commercial hydrogen refueling stations in the US outside of California and Hawaii.

With a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, you can get about 350 miles out of a 5 minute refuel. The standard right now is a tank that holds 4kg of hydrogen at 10,000psi. You can make hydrogen gas anyplace that has water and electricity but the government doesn't seem interested in incentivizing a hydrogen infrastructure.

drive a Toyota or Honda hybrid. not rocket science

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Cross

drive a Toyota or Honda hybrid. not rocket science

Hmmm, reliability and long[er] range.
Notice Toyota isn't hawking full EV on the boob-tube all the time.
They know what they have and it works.

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks not to be ready for prime time to me. Seems like a lot of issues to overcome.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RipSnort
In the last 15 years, I've made approximately 150 one thousand mile round-trip runs on interstate highways in the mid and deep South for business and family reasons. I have NEVER seen an electric vehicle on the interstate during those 150,000 miles of driving. They simply are not the proper tool for the job of moderate to long distance automobile travel.

RS
I run up and down I-65 between Louisville and Nashville, and I see a Tesla every now and then, but that's a pretty short drive in an ICE. I am now seeing a few Teslas on the road, but none of the Chevy Volts at all. The wife just got a RAV4 Hybrid, which I think is the smarter way to go at this point. It gets 39MPG on the road, and about 41 around town, using mostly it's electric motor. I was pretty skeptical of the hybrids at first, but my sister's family had three Prius' and they liked them a lot. They more or less sealed the deal when the wife was ready for a new ride. I am considering one, myself.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JB in SC
I know several guys that own Teslas. They all like ‘em. But these are pretty high income folks that own other toys (Porsche GT4, ie). They use them as commuter cars and have their own charging stations. The Tesla S I drove will pin you to the seat, but it doesn’t handle well. The 918 GT4 is an absolute hoot to drive, very fast and sticks to the road like it’s on rails.

does it snow 6 months out of the year where you live?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Y'all are missin' the point with your comments about goin' on long trips. Like slummy goin' to the beach.

In the Good Ol' Days, ya' didn't take your own horse on a long trip. You took the stage or the train, then went to the Livery if'n ya' needed to get to Uncle Jasper's outside town to tell him that Ma died personal like, so's he didn't have to get the news in a telegraph letter or from Millie the operator if tha town had the newfangled tellyfone thingie.

Now, if'n your electrical car don't got the juice to make it all the way to Uncle Jaspers, just get on the public transportation and call a Uber when ya gets there to haul your ass out to the Uncle's ranchito.
That's probably pretty close to the Progressive wet dream - nobody owns a vehicle, you just rent one on a trip-by-trip basis. Yes, even trips to the grocery store. Get on your cell phone, hail a ride, and an autonomous vehicle pulls up to your doorstep.

Good luck with the autonomous part too.

Politics is War by Other Means
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Giving away blm, insufficient grid, low range. If you think that line at Costco is slow wait until everyone is waiting for a charging station.
There is about a quarter or half section of former wheat land east of me fullof panels. Oh well, we can get wheat from Ukraine

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 25 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.