Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Me? I'd start with a can of Hunts, add green pepper, onion, garlic, anything that strikes your fancy

Gag me.

Start with real Italian tomatoes or fresh ones from the garden.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Irish spaghetti. https://www.midcenturymenu.com/the-...etti-a-mid-century-recipe-test-and-tale/ Its how we’ve made it for 50 years. It’s a creamy, spicy sauce w ground beef in it. We cut the onion back by about 25% of this recipie and add the seasonings after browning the meat. Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Its easy and delicious.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 07/30/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, dvdegeorge has a really good recipe, pm him.

See it's been posted, I have made it a couple of times and freeze what I don't use right of way.

Last edited by stxhunter; 07/31/22.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife makes and cans her own recipe of spaghetti sauce. It's about a 5-6 hour process. We use our own tomatoes and green peppers, add onions and some spices. The stuff has to cook down from raw quartered up tomatoes, 25 pounds worth, to where it is then put in quart jars and processed in the canner. All that work is for about 7-8 quarts worth. But, it's good stuff, and she likes doing it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gave up long ago on making sauce, and just buy something on sale in a jar at Publix. Don't even keep some in the pantry. I probably don't eat pasta with tomato sauce more than two or three times a year anymore.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muskrat2090
Tag
Me too

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by srwshooter
None. I hate tomato sauce. There are no good ones!

White clam sauce?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None, put anything but tomato sauce on noodles

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hunts.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Basic sauce. But you can spices it anyway you want to from there.

2 Yellow Onions pealed and dice
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons dried herbs (Basil, oregano, rosemary, Thyme)
½ cup red wine
12 cups plum tomatoes washed and processed in food proposer (12 cups measured after processing)
Sea salt to taste (½ tsp to start)
Black pepper to taste (½ tsp to start)
½ tsp Citric Acid powder per quart (if canning)
Water bath 55 minutes (if canning)
You’ll do:
In a large skillet over medium flame, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook slowly, until they start to caramelize and soften, add garlic and dried herbs cook for 5 minutes. deglaze the pan with the ½ cup red wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Add to the tomatoes and their juice in large, deep stock pot and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook on low, stirring occasionally for at least 2 hours, or longer depending on the water content of the tomatoes. The sauce should be thick with much of the water evaporated to concentrate the flavor (sometimes I let it cook 4-5 hours over a very low flame). Add salt and pepper to taste.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I make several different sauces for pasta, two of them tomato based. One type I make for making big batches and freezing it, and then using it mainly for things like eggplant parmigiana, but it's also good for pasta.

Then there's the tomato sauce I make specifically for a delicious plate of pasta.

Here's how I make the latter kind:

One serving: Take three very ripe, medium sized, Roma tomatoes and split them in half lengthwise. Cut out the white stem part and discard. Take one skinned medium yellow onion and cut it in half, then cut each half three ways. Peel three medium garlic cloves.

Put three or four tablespoons of EVOO in a skillet and set stove to medium.

Toss in the onion wedges and brown them on two sides, then break up and keep cooking.

Lower the heat a bit and add the garlic. Saute some more, tossing from time to time, till the garlic is browned and the onions are cooked.

Remove all the onions with a set of kitchen tongs and either save for snacking or something else, or discard. They've done their job of infusing their flavor into the oil. Leave the garlic in the skillet with the oil.

Take the tomato half spheres and place them in the oiled skillet, flat side down. Add three quarter cup of white wine to the skillet, cover tightly (make sure you have a tight fitting cover for that skillet) and turn heat up till the wine is boiling, then down to medium heat for five minutes of a slow boil.

Remove the cover and use the tongs to push down on the tomatoes, then lift up the skins, and discard. Use the tongs to break up the tomatoes and garlic cloves, both of which should be pretty soft now.

Add a tablespoon of tomato paste and stir.

Add 1/8th teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of black pepper. Mix together.

Let it cook another five minutes without the cover, turn heat off, then add a handful of fresh, washed, basil (no stems, just leaves) and stir it in till it wilts. Taste and adjust salt if needed, then serve over your favorite pasta, topped with some fresh grated Romano.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,384
Posts18,527,611
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.