Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe it's been all the fake brass receivers they do. Maybe it's how friggin ugly the steel Big Boys are. Well actually most of the stuff they make look like the the car designers for AMC in the 70's finally found new jobs. I have a hard time taking them seriously. But do they make durable, quality stuff?

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I had an early Goldenboy in 22 mag for several years and never had any issues with it, other than the brass wanting to tarnish, accuracy was very good and it was smooth as butter.

I've had a BBS 16" carbine in 32 for a few years now, and I have love/hate relationship with it. The accuracy is good, and it handles/shoulders extremely well, but it feeds like garbage... really hiccupy and prone to jamming.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Tell me one manufacturer that does not have any issues at some point with one or any of their firearms?

My BBS has a very nice stock and fit and finish is fine. Works quite well, maybe the newer versions are a little better than older ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t own one. But I think I would like the tube magazine loading access by the muzzle. That they have in the 45/70 .

Wonder if I guy could modify a marlin ?

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/16/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a lawyer friend with a dozen and he swears by them. And I see them all the time at my club range and the owners say good things about them. Henry customer service is supposed to be really good. And yet, I can't get past how damned weird looking they are.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I have a lawyer friend with a dozen and he swears by them. And I see them all the time at my club range and the owners say good things about them. Henry customer service is supposed to be really good. And yet, I can't get past how damned weird looking they are.
I'm right there with you

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They be made in Wisconsin.

The state that gave us the cheese heads!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by wytex
Tell me one manufacturer that does not have any issues at some point with one or any of their firearms?

My BBS has a very nice stock and fit and finish is fine. Works quite well, maybe the newer versions are a little better than older ones.

Fit and finish are good one mine, as well. The wood isn't bad at all, and the bluing is fine, and wood to metal fit is very good.

The problem with mine is mostly the cartridge, or more the fact that the action isn't scaled down to the cartridge at all. The feed tube and elevator are absolutely huge for that skinny litttle case, so it has a habit of them getting fed cockeyed onto the elevator, then it picks them up crooked and hangs up or jams.

It's deadly accurate, though, and absolutely levels squirrels and rabbits without tearing them to shreds using cast loads, so like I said earlier, I'm very love/hate with it. If it fed better it would probably be my favorite rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by wytex

Fit and finish are good one mine, as well. The wood isn't bad at all, and the bluing is fine, and wood to metal fit is very good.

The problem with mine is mostly the cartridge, or more the fact that the action isn't scaled down to the cartridge at all. The feed tube and elevator are absolutely huge for that skinny litttle case, so it has a habit of them getting fed cockeyed onto the elevator, then it picks them up crooked and hangs up or jams.

It's deadly accurate, though, and absolutely levels squirrels and rabbits without tearing them to shreds using cast loads, so like I said earlier, I'm very love/hate with it. If it fed better it would probably be my favorite rifle.
What cartridge is yours chambered in?

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
32 - 327 Fed, 32 H&R Mag, and 32 S&W Long all work through it. I do most of my shooting with 32 S&W Longs, but it shoots all 3 cartridges very well. I mostly shoot cast with 32L and 32H&R Mag, and jackets and monos in 327 Fed.

Surprisingly 327 Fed feeds the worst; usually it's opposite with pistol cartridge levers and cartridge lengths.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Like you, I can't take them seriously. Then again, I can't take any Wins/Marlins with safeties on them, seriously either.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a 22 mag that is not accurate at all. Don’t much care for it. Then, for some reason, I decided I needed a 45-70. A gun I never even considered until now.

won with a good price (on GB) a Henry X and now I’m all in on this gun. It shoots. I mean, this thing is accurate! 325 grain Hornady shoot well, 350 grain Berrys are incredible. 1.5 down to .88” with a 4x scope.

Subsonic is where it’s at though. I have a Hybrid 45 on it and the 415 grain Hornady Sub-X are the best thing since pockets on a shirt! (They just arrived at Midway last night, so I bought more).

This gun is the real deal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh cool. Gives you a lot of choices

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i still sell afew new rifles with my FFL license some people really like the 22 LR levers ,i won one also and its pretty and does shoot ok but this 22 LR just is not as accurate or functions as nice as my Marlin 39 A`s do . i would like to get a S.S. PLASTIC Stock all weather 357 Henry lever rifle someday to play with. i own a Marlin 45-70 s.s. guide gun but that rifle is just miserable to shoot so i think a 357 /38 would be much more fun and cheaper to shoot also.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I have the Guide Gun too. I love it but I love it best with Trapdoor loads

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Henry is a great company but I am not a fan of their centerfire rifles but I love their rimfires.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never owned a Henry that didn’t have a problem. The Big Boy Steels I fixed myself but it’s frustrating as hell. I had a single shot 30-30 that the trigger weight and pull was so bad I had the gun less than 24hrs. I had an Evil Roy 22 that I beat to death on an iron beam.

No more for me.

I’ve had the 410 lever, Big Boy Steels, single shots, and 22’s.

I will say the 44 Big Boy Steels I had after they were fixed, they were reliable. I actually like them better than a marlin 94.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 06/17/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just purchased a BBS carbine (16.5" barrel) in .357 Mag. It feeds .38 Special well as well as .357. Accuracy wise, it cuts holes at 50 yards with a 158 XTP and 16.7 gr H110 for 1,710 fps. I haven't found a complaint based on the function of the rifles.Fit and finish is good. My only complaint is that I wish they did a better job on the bluing. It does not have the rich bluing that Marlins came with back in the day.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My .22 mag shoots really well for a lever gun and has given me no trouble.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
which rifle, they make quite a few models. I haven't owned one, but I prefer winchesters when it comes to 30-30's just because they are trimmer and weigh a half pound less. the henry is basically a 336 type action. the loading gate was a huge plus for them to add to their guns. the rimfires I am not interested in because the receivers are pot metal. yeah I get it, it makes them cheaper, I wish they offered a machined steel option like the 94/22's in which case that is what I ended up buying.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
My .22 mag shoots really well for a lever gun and has given me no trouble.
Yeah I have a Golden Boy and it's fine. I'm mostly talking about the centerfires

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
From everything I have seen , they make no junk. I am not a fan but style is what I don't care for.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never owned one but, have looked at some. I personally don't like the magazine tube loading on centerfire calibers. I know the original Henry 1860 had that but, was changed later on to a loading gate, when Winchester got going good.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, their rimfires are indeed potmetal

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Our local Scheels had and 'Original Henry' 44 WCF in the display case and it looked well put together, above average blue and wood finish. I just couldn't get myself to break loose the money for it.

He went over yonder way
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Long Ranger in 223 / 5.56 and a Big Boy Steel in 327 Federal Mag. Both shoot well and have nice wood that is well fitted. The BBS is an absolute hoot with 32 S&W longs. My biggest complaint is they are on the heavy side.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Does anyone actually have the Model 1860? I hate the polished look but wouldn't mind owning one.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The two Henrys I own are great rifles. So far, not a hint of shoddy worksmanship and excellent components.

Medics bury their mistakes..
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Around 10 years ago I had the H001 .22LR. I never had any issues with it but cannot really comment on accuracy as I mostly used it with shorts and just used it to plink tin-cans. Fast forward to when the lever 410s came out....my dad had to have one. It had issues at first with extracting fired cartridges, but out of nowhere it just started working and hasn't hiccuped since. No idea.

I sold the 22, still have dads 410......last week my father in law retired and the company gifted him a special edition wildlife something or other long ranger. His shooting days are mostly over and he gave it to my wife and I to put up and or use.....I'm not a fan of flashy or anything engraved but after looking at it for a few days....it's growing on me and it seems nicely done. Action is smooth, trigger isn't horrible for a rifle like this, and it points very well. I may have to use it on a meat doe this year. I doubt I ever scope it or reload for it so its not likely I'll ever know the true accuracy potential of it.

Crappy pics but you get the idea. This one is in 243, and the magazine is a detachable box so being able to use a spitzer type bullet is nice.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like the look of the Long Ranger rifles, and they appear to be high quality. I would give one a run for sure.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Ky221,
That treatment on the receiver is pretty. I am kind of interested in their long ranger. Probably in 308W. It would be interesting if they offered it in 338 Fed. or 358Win.
I have to say I think the stock has a 'clubby' look to it. I have never handled one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have seen and owned a few. They have a reputation for being well built with quality, fit/finish etc.
In these times, with demand so high, etc, they seem to be around the same as everyone else. I had some that were very tight, others that had wood fit like an early remlin. Some with good triggers, others with horribly gritty actions that I was very surprised.

Basically, I wouldn't rate them any lower or higher than anyone else. If you can handle it in person that would be ideal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H010 and H010CC 45-70s. Both excellent rifles with zero issues.

Deer and Bear killers they are! smile

Bought Winchester and Browning levers the last two purchases...but I'd buy another Henry for sure.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I dont know, do know that guy is my favorite yankee manufacturer, gotta hand it to a guy living in a gun/2nd amendment hating chithole hell shoving it in their faces manufacturing American made weapons, being very visible with commercials and appearances 24/7/365, good luck and keep up the fight Mr. Imperato.

I haven't owned any Henry rifles, but have bought a couple for gifts, have heard no complaints.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Solid rifles. I just don't care for their looks. Just a personal preference

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few of the rim fires and enjoy them. I really like the smooth bore “garden gun” and use it around the house more than I thought I would.

I also have the Lone Ranger in 223 and I find it shoots and cycles really well.
I would but the Lone Ranger in 7mm-08 in a heart beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little off topic, but just received this in an email from a friend. This is a direct, copy/paste quote from his email:

here's a quick story for you: a few years ago, Hunter and his boys were at NOLA watching a Ferrari Challenge race....Hunter started talking to a guy in the pits and it turned out to be Anthony Imperato, CEO of Henry Arms....he offered to make the boys single shot .22's with the last 4 digits of their SS#'s as serial numbers...a few weeks later, the free rifles were at the local dealer.

Says something about the man running the company, I think!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had been wanting a lever for years and began desiring a Henry because I actually like the looks. Finally bought the Big Boy rifle in 44 cal.
20 inch barrel and the large loop lever.
It’s not the side gate, but I love my rifle.
I’ve only shot one deer with it at 100 yards. Drt.
I’d like to buy another with side gate in something other than brass to hunt with.

As for as killing power?
I’ve probably killed 40 deer with a 50 cal muzzleloader using 240gr bullets.
I imagine my Henry 44 is not much different in ballistics and force.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard a Henry firearm advertisement on AM 770 radio Seattle this week.

They MUST be making money.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Take a henry apart and see what's inside. I'd be curious what is inside their centerfires.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Maybe its their cheap used car selling type infomercials....

Last edited by killerv; 08/24/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have only owned the single shots, but those are made quite well, though the design is quite simple.

Gavin Toobe, the Ultimate Reloader on YouTube, and his sidekick Guy, Cascade here, have been playing with a couple of the lever actions. I’m not a big fan of their looks, but they seem to work and shoot well. It also appears to me that they’ve been refining the looks. They don’t seem quite as “square” as they once did.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Only been around the rimfires and dont have any desire to go out and buy one

I look at the long ranger and think that If I wanted a gun that looked like a browning BLR. I would go out and buy a browning BLR.

The others look awfull Marlin to me. Same outlook on those.

Not much use for a tube fed rifle either.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Only been around the rimfires and dont have any desire to go out and buy one

I look at the long ranger and think that If I wanted a gun that looked like a browning BLR. I would go out and buy a browning BLR.

The others look awfull Marlin to me. Same outlook on those.

Not much use for a tube fed rifle either.

The Long Ranger bolt system is very similar to a BLR. The trigger guts don't drop with the lever, though.

I've got a BBS carbine, and the internals look very similar to an older Mossberg 472, except for the elevator setup.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have a Henry 22 LR and I have had zero problems. I have put 2000-3000 rounds through mine. They make quality rifles and are suppose to have excellent customer service.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Henry puts too much lipstick on their rifle.
Cuts down on my interest…

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Henry's. BB steel in .45 Colt and BB classic in .357, both with 20" barrels. Fit and finish are excellent, bluing is good and accuracy is very good.
No complaints on my end. BTW, I don't mind the tube fed deal, I'm not running from marauding Indians.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a steel frame 44 mag that has killed several deer, only picadila has been feeding unless straight up and down

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by blanket
I have a steel frame 44 mag that has killed several deer, only picadila has been feeding unless straight up and down

That's the rub with my steel 327. It's a great rifle other than the fact that it feeds like garbage... which is sort of a big issue for a lever.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They upgraded the trigger on the single shots a few years ago. Very nice now. They will also fix the old ones I believe. Great company

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a brass frame 44 mag that’s been accurate and reliable but I don’t have a huge number of rounds through. It’s very slow to load and the magazine tube isn’t polished anywhere near the level of the barrel. I sent an email to Henry after buying the gun to complain about it but they never responded. I keep it’s magazine loaded but chamber empty in my safe as my home defense gun, hopefully the 9 shots on board would be sufficient to repel boarders.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Have an H010 here. 45-70. I personally like the tube feeders. In 45-70, 4 in the tube and one in the chamber is PLENTY. They are well built rifles and mine seems to have very good wood to metal fitment. Overall, its leagues ahead of my Remlin guide gun in 45-70. For the record, with all the love for side gates, and Henry going that way too, I will say that I don't fit the mold. I find side gates finicky and slow, and often scratch the shiat out of my brass in larger calibres. IF, on the rare day, I want to plug a few more holes in a target, I simply single load into the loading port with ease. I also owned a Henry single shot 12 gauge, but it had corrosion on the buttplate and a gouge on the forearm. I sent it back the same day. For a lighter pistol caliber, like 327 or 357, I would opt for another Henry with a side gate, just to "stay in the game".

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I've liked every henry I've ever handled. I owned a long ranger for a bit and the only reason I sold it was that it was a 6.5 creed.

You can never have too many hashbrowns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Maybe it's been all the fake brass receivers they do. Maybe it's how friggin ugly the steel Big Boys are. Well actually most of the stuff they make look like the the car designers for AMC in the 70's finally found new jobs. I have a hard time taking them seriously. But do they make durable, quality stuff?

How much more can be said about a Henry? Next to a Handi Rifle, they could be one of the best looking guns made…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=shrapnel]
How much more can be said about a Henry? Next to a Handi Rifle, they could be one of the best looking guns made…

LOL, that's funny

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In all fairness, that single shot is butt ugly. LoL shocked

Their all-steel levers in the larger calibres, however, look pretty damn nice to me. At the end of the day, few levers on the market, with the possible exception of some of those fancy Italian makes, are working tool guns. Looks are secondary to fit and function.

Last edited by Kurgan; 07/18/23.

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kurgan

Their all-steel levers in the larger calibres, however, look pretty damn nice to me. At the end of the day, few levers on the market, with the possible exception of some of those fancy Italian makes, are working tool guns. Looks are secondary to fit and function.

John Browning and Andrew Burgess would not agree…

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Kurgan

If I'm going to spend what they want these days, it damn well better look good and shoot good or it ain't comin' home.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have three or four Henry, every one is just as good as my JM Marlins, Rossi, I like scopes on Henry’s and Marlins, open sights on Rossi of course. I have shot Winchester in the past too, I shoot some hot loads in Henry’s with no problems, functions perfectly and very accurate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My lust for lever guns has been mostly covered by Marlin, Winchester and Savage. I’d buy a Henry, maybe if I could find one chambered in 357 Mag or 30-40 Krag at the right price.
I think that Henry lever guns look fine. I like the option of feeding ammo in the magazine tube like we’ve all done with 22’s.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
My lust for lever guns has been mostly covered by Marlin, Winchester and Savage. I’d buy a Henry, maybe if I could find one chambered in 357 Mag or 30-40 Krag at the right price.
I think that Henry lever guns look fine. I like the option of feeding ammo in the magazine tube like we’ve all done with 22’s.
The Henrys seem to sell out quick.
It took me about a year of looking to find a Henry .44Mag sidegate.
Had to buy it online.
Damn nice rifle.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good quality materials and workmanship.

I'd buy 6 MORE Marlins before ever buying a Henry.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... now that Ruger has taken over and judging by the two new Marlins I checked out this summer Marlin is making real guns again ... Henry ruled the roost during the Remlin years but Marlin is back and Henry will make a respectable runner up

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not sure what I like the most about them……..the high quality silver or gold plating or the rolled engraving. Would make the guys that used to work in Winchester, Marlin, or Remington’s custom shops really proud of American craftsmanship. Certainly to each their own but I will pass.

PennDog

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have several lever action rifles from Japan, Brazil, Italy and the USA.
I own 3 USA made Henry's, a Long Ranger in .308, a BB steel in .357 and a newer Color Case BB in .44 magnum.
They are extremely nice rifles with smooth actions, good wood to metal fit, great triggers and fine exterior metal finishes.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I Have two Henry's the single, and a lever in .41mag. They build a good gun, they've had a couple recalls, and they tend to be pricey, especially the Single. I got mine at a bankruptcy auction, otherwise would never had thrown the coin. Rebounding hammer takes a bit getting used to. I'ld prefer a half cock.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pricedo
... now that Ruger has taken over and judging by the two new Marlins I checked out this summer Marlin is making real guns again ... Henry ruled the roost during the Remlin years but Marlin is back and Henry will make a respectable runner up

I'll take ANY JM over a Ruger. The only thing I congratulate Ruger on is getting rid of micro groove. Was every JM off the line perfect? Hell no. And mark your calendars, there will be a Ruger recall. Its what they do. When was the last recall on a JM ? Anyone? Buhler?

The Rag Writers kicked around Marlin pretty good unjustifiably. That's their job. Hype sales. ANYTHING new is always the greatest in their eyes, look who pays them. Remington is who damn ruined the brand. Put the blame where its due

Marlin is not back. There is no Marlin anymore. Its Ruger.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its the original Marlin round bolt 1894 II. They shoulda kept with it rather than caving to nostalgia, and going back to square bolt.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Take a henry apart and see what's inside. I'd be curious what is inside their centerfires.

MARLIN PART REPLICAS

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like my browning and savage lever guns. Don’t have any interest in a Henry. I’m just not interested in a tube fed centre fire rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Henry rifles the wood stock rifles really do look good .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Henry doesn't make anything from scratch, save for 2 the 9mm Carbine, and that absolutely abysmal revolver. Everything else is s variation of someone elses design. That may or may not tell you something about the Company. Tony is a nice enough guy, the fit finish and quality of materials I find on par or better than most

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have sidegates , and both

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes they do

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll let you know. I have a Big Boy X 44 inbound. I’m more traditional, as are my 357 levers, but as I age, the bigger holes and optics options are just more fun.
Search of you’re looking for on, because folks on GB just run the prices and there’s less expensive “new” guns online.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a Henry .45 and a stainless Rossi .454. I had a JM .44. I don’t like to fret over scratches and such, so once I got the Rossi slicked up, the JM was sold. To be honest, I think most that love their JMs do so for sentimental reasons. Don’t get me wrong. They’re a quality piece, but I think modern prices are a bit much for the way I’d treat it.

The Rossi matches my utilitarian needs (light, accurate and dependable), so its my favorite. It gets strapped across the handlebars, thrown in the truck, leaned up against trees goes out in the rain (all uncased).

The Henry is an art piece….a heavy art piece. It was my pa’s, so it stays. If It were between a new Henry and a JM, I guess I’d go with a stainless JM for the reasons explained. At that price point, however, I cringe at every ding or scratch.

Just my 2 cents.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Picked up the X model in 45 Colt yesterday. Went with the X because I wanted a handgun cartridge carbine in a model that I wouldn't worry about scratching up the wood.

For now, my impression is it's a smooth nicely finished rifle. Decent trigger that I may have cleaned up before the season starts. I'm hoping to use it iron sighted, but will use a scope if I have to. I will use a scope for the near future as I work up a load for it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by pricedo

I'll take ANY JM over a Ruger. The only thing I congratulate Ruger on is getting rid of micro groove. Was every JM off the line perfect? Hell no. And mark your calendars, there will be a Ruger recall. Its what they do. When was the last recall on a JM ? Anyone? Buhler?

The Rag Writers kicked around Marlin pretty good unjustifiably. That's their job. Hype sales. ANYTHING new is always the greatest in their eyes, look who pays them. Remington is who damn ruined the brand. Put the blame where its due

Marlin is not back. There is no Marlin anymore. Its Ruger.

Agree 100%. My son just bought a NIB Ruger 1895 SS Big Lever 45-70. It has more trigger creep and trigger weight than any Marlin or Remlin I've handled. NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL especially for the price!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I recently bought an 1895 GBL 45-70. I liked the fit and finish. However, the trigger was nothing short of horrible. I wouldn't even take it to the range to shoot it until my gunsmith did a trigger job on it. He did an outstanding job. It went from a heavy, gritty 11 lb. trigger with a lot of creep to a smooth, crisp, creep free 4.5 lb trigger. When I first tried it, I thought the pull was about 3 lbs. until the smith put the trigger gauge on it.

At the range, I was able to put four of five shots into a ragged hole.

The Henry X model mentioned above has a smooth and relatively light trigger compared to the GBL. It does have creep that I'll probably have cleaned up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger revolvers almost always need trigger work and I'm not surprised to hear their interpretation of a Marlin does too.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not surprised at the horrible triggers on the new Ruger made Marlins. I've come to view any Ruger as a semi finished, fully assembled kit gun.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not surprised at the horrible triggers on the new Ruger made Marlins. I've come to view any Ruger as a semi finished, fully assembled kit gun.

Yeah Ruger has never been synonymous with good triggers. On anything

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

80% gun with a serial number and a 110% price.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.