Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yes it was definitely great condition in the original configuration. I am not a fan of plastic and have no idea of it's value.

The Mcmillan stocks new are about $600. Used I've paid $350-$400. So, the "plastic" is worth something. Most times about what an original (wood stock) is worth.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yes it was definitely great condition in the original configuration. I am not a fan of plastic and have no idea of it's value.

The Mcmillan stocks new are about $600. Used I've paid $350-$400. So, the "plastic" is worth something. Most times about what an original (wood stock) is worth.

Well said. The days of just giving away a McM are over.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1911a1
battue, McMillan no longer sells that stock. My son ordered one, they were out of stock said they would call when they made another run, then several months later called and told him they were no longer going to produce them for pre 64s. Gave him the number of a ex employee who buys blanks and fits them to what ever rifle you have.

I other words that Mcmillan stock has some value for sure now.

They only inlet for the Model 70 Supergrade, everything else is flat top. Just got off the phone with them.l

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What's a McMillan? grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Well said. The days of just giving away a McM are over.

Some of these guys scoff at a good stock and don't realize their value. You and I are still young enough we use them. I get the idea that a lot of these guys just sit their rifles in the back of the safe and they never get used. That's their prerogative, just as it is ours to actually use them. That's why most of them turn their noses up to the rifle I recently bought that had a Mcmillan. I paid $900 for that rifle and then sold the scope and rings and bases that were on it for $575. Now I'm into the rifle for about $325.00... That rifle is still worth a grand with the Mcmillan. Battue probably thought some of us were going to say his rifle wasn't worth anything with that stock, but some of us know better...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
battue, McMillan no longer sells that stock. My son ordered one, they were out of stock said they would call when they made another run, then several months later called and told him they were no longer going to produce them for pre 64s. Gave him the number of a ex employee who buys blanks and fits them to what ever rifle you have.

They only inlet for the Model 70 Supergrade, everything else is flat top. Just got off the phone with them.l

Call them back and tell them they need to inlet the trigger guard better. I'm getting tired of fixing their fu ck up!!! You can see on Battue's rifle that his isn't right either. That's my main gripe with mcmillan..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They can;'t help me with any stock they offer. Will look elsewhere.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They can;'t help me with any stock they offer. Will look elsewhere.

Which stock do you want?

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Winchester Hunter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can you order a flat top and have a smith inlet?

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Let me be clear. I know the value of synthetic stocks in monetary and field use. The fact that I called it plastic should let everyone know that I am not a fan and not swayable. Carbon fiber is very strong and expensive, but it is also synthetic.

I like nice blued or stainless steel and quality wood stocked guns. I get so sick of looking at flat black and plastic guns. They are all that is on the "new" gun shelves in the shops and also in the magazine articles.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Can you order a flat top and have a smith inlet?

Absolutely but I have gotten quotes on that stuff. Its not worth it .

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Battue probably thought some of us were going to say his rifle wasn't worth anything with that stock, but some of us know better...

This was my third McMillan purchase...I know what they are worth. However, lately it seems they are not as popular as previously. The common reference was to the Pre64 caliber....

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Flat top?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A stock that is fully formed but needs to be inletted fully for your gun.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No problem PJ. I’ve been doing it that way for a few years. Weaver does a great job fitting them.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No problem PJ. I’ve been doing it that way for a few years. Weaver does a great job fitting them.

What is he charging for something like that?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can’t remember. I think 250 for the whole job but he’d be the man to ask.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I asked him about an inletting job on an AG composite for my 6 lug mk V and it was over 1k

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.