Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depends a lot on where you hunt. Where I hunt in north Idaho its usually heavy timber and thick. I have taken over a dozen elk and I don't think any of them were over a hundred yards.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Depends a lot on where you hunt. Where I hunt in north Idaho its usually heavy timber and thick. I have taken over a dozen elk and I don't think any of them were over a hundred yards.
I'm at the other end, in southern, ID where it's often wide open and you can see for miles. Even at that, my longest shot on a couple dozen I've shot was 350 yds. There's always a way to get closer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tired subject at best.

It’s your story, tell it like you want to…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

And what you hunt with. It's been my experience that very few bowhunters or muzzleloaders take 300 yard shots.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John Janovy junior told me in a lecture.

There are stupid questions

One u already know the answer too.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have killed 16 elk, 14 bulls and 2 cows, most killed with a 300 Weatherby with a 3.5-10 Leupold shooting 180 Nosler Partitions. My longest shot was 512 yards (300 BEE) and my shortest was 150 it ards with a 6.5 GAP 4S.

My go to rig now is a Gunwerks RevX in 7mm RM shooting 168 Bergers and a 5-25 Nightforce ATACR. I wish I could get shots at elk closer, they all seem to be 400 yards plus.

I've never had an elk get up after being knocked down with any of the cartridges I've used to kill them (300 and 7mm BEE, 270 WSM and 6.5 GAP 4S). I shoot a lot and regularly practice from 300 to 1000 yards. My shot distance limit is 500 yards and I prefer them much closer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895

Who is John Janovy?

Was that a stupid question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John Janovy would have been the lecturers father.

Yep

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

It’s called “stump the instructor” or “stump the speaker”.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to be confused with

Stump Broke 🤠

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by MOW
I've have 2 elk to my name, both under 50 yards. 2 years ago when I went with some friends, we tagged 5 elk, all under 100 yards. Four were shot with 308s and one with 300 mag. What's my point, match your gun and scope with where you are hunting. There is no need for high power scopes and magnums in the thick timber where we hunt, but our 308s and low power scope would be challenging in wide open, cross canyon type hunting.
But what if you stalk thru the black timber all morning looking for gleaming eyeballs, then come to the edge of enormous canyon, and all your elk are now on the opposite slope 600 yards distant? Then what?
Remember that a bloodspot is very hard to find after crossing a large canyon to start tracking your wounded elk.
Even if the Elk falls right there, it will be tough to find if your alone.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MOW
I've have 2 elk to my name, both under 50 yards. 2 years ago when I went with some friends, we tagged 5 elk, all under 100 yards. Four were shot with 308s and one with 300 mag. What's my point, match your gun and scope with where you are hunting. There is no need for high power scopes and magnums in the thick timber where we hunt, but our 308s and low power scope would be challenging in wide open, cross canyon type hunting.
But what if you stalk thru the black timber all morning looking for gleaming eyeballs, then come to the edge of enormous canyon, and all your elk are now on the opposite slope 600 yards distant? Then what?

What is your point?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My longest was 450 on a spike in OR, shortest was a cow in the Timber at maybe 15 steps outside Sheridan. I practice my butt off to be proficient at as long a distance as I can shoot all summer, which is usually around 800. Our group has a mess of elk around the 250-275 with a few as far as 675 yards.

Everything has worked great from a 270 up to a 338 Win Mag.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by MOW

What is your point?
Just poking fun at this thread! Elk hunting and cartridge/rifle discussion that never ends.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Anaconda
It's my opinion that 90% of elk are harvested at under 300 yards.
95%+ at under 400 yards.

A .308, 30-06 or .270 with a 4X scope is more than enough.
A cup & core bullet of reasonable weight will do the job.

If you want a 20X scope on a .300 magnum, that's fine but you don't need it.

I have 5 elk under my belt, all taken at under 100 yards.

So how many of you actually take elk at 500+ yards, and what percentage of you elk were at longer distance.

Elk brings out the best and worst of hunting stories. Easy/hard, it doesn't matter.

I have killed my share, but I will also wager that 90% of the elk killed year to year are killed by the same 8-10% of the hunters that do it over and over. I really don't care what people use, but I do get tired of the continuous brag of killing them with small calibers and extreme distances. Sure it can be done, but is it really responsible hunting?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shrapnel, what do you consider to be the minimum cartridge for bull elk?

For Big Mike Werner

243 Win

Lol

🦫

PS

SLM, say’s you’re still a ball bag

😳

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
John Janovy would have been the lecturers father.

Yep

Is he related to Jon Bon Jovi?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I propose Mule Deer said it best when ….

And I paraphrase:

I came to realize no cartridge was gonna change my life

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm in it for the tasty dinner. Cow elk, or a spike at most. I use whatever cartridge I'm currently not bored with. I've used from .257 Roberts to .400 Jeffery.

Now my brother is a different story. He's a head hunter. What's on his Wall Of Dead is never good enough. Pretty sure his scope has a built in tape measure.

On his next hunt they run him through a LR shooting course, then using that rifle they head into the hills.

Different folks, different strokes.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree with center shot

The hardest part of ( trophy) elk hunting is drawing a tag.

Effort ,and Hard work , experience help also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would suggest that's there's a difference with someone who lives in elk country and can hunt often and choose their shots based on conditions and recovery effort and "the rest of us" who may travel at great expense of time and money for a once in a lifetime hunt and wanting to be in a position to take any reasonable shot that they are qualified to make a high percentage of the time. I still believe in hunting v shooting and prefer to get as close as possible to any game I'm hunting but in the case of out of state elk, I'd want a rifle scope combo capable for me to have the power necessary for a clean kill out to 400 yards. My likely choice would be 308 or 30-06 with 180s or 7mm with 160s.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.