Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Been working long hours running restaurant kitchens over 30 years now. I can’t do 60 hour weeks anymore. 55 and I’m pretty much spent, anymore. 70 - forget that. In my thirties I could.

That is one of the toughest jobs...don't know how you guys do it...you work all weekends, all holidays....man, good on ya though.

Illegitimi non carborundum

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
No, not a company man. I am a working stiff.

But this 3 weeks, the job is a confined space entry. As the old man, I pull attendant duty.

theres alot harder ways to make time and a half....

grin grin

back when i welded, confined space meant a chitty job for me, but a gravy job for someone else..... wasnt hard to get a volunteer for it....

I do a lot of confined space in the local refinery on columns and drums. The man watch at the hole has a lot of responsibility and at the same time the job can be very boring. Tough combo. We depend on them for our safety.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im calling it quits in October. I'm 68 and pretty much have had enough. Still out work 3 of the youngsters at work, they are to busy looking at their phones. god help the future of this country

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Work is work, no matter the task.
Meh, I don't know if I can buy into that...A west coast steep ground timber faller is about as tough as it gets, there is a reason they generally only work a 6 hour day. Last time I looked, it was also the most fatal injuries.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I know people who work hard and I know people who don’t. Funny thing people who who actually work don’t say much.The ones who don’t amount to much are always telling everybody how hard they work.Makes you think

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You "I'm gonna work until I'm ## years old!" are nuts!.
JMNSHO!

My dad's birthday was Aug 1st.
In October, he had just turned 60 and had a minor heart attack. No surgery, just close observation for a couple of months.
At Christmas, I asked him, "Why don't you go ahead and retire?"
He explained that if he retired at age 60, the company would only pay 25% of his Medicare and he was responsible for 75%.
IF he worked to age 61, the company would pay 75% and he would only have to pay for 25%.

He passed away of a major coronary event in June!

Made up my mind then, the very FIRST opportunity I got, I was OUT!
Have a friend back home. Tom was the sort that could make Lincoln squeal. He had 9.5 cents out if the first dime he ever earned.
He was a lineman for a major utility company and made very good money.
When he was 54, all he and his wife owned was clear and free. Kids college was paid off. Not one red cent on two new vehicles did they owe. ... and had a nice savings!
Tom figured out, almost to the penny, what it took for the two of them to get by and flourish.
....and he retired!

For the last 17 years, still in good health, Tom and Mrs. Tom are living the good life.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 06/19/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I can say is retirement is where it's at. I think I have it down pat now, after 15 years of practice. The only "work" I do are house chores and walking the golf course. I do that twice a week and play 18 holes in under three hours. Then there's fishing, of course. Standing in a rocking boat involves a lot of muscles, believe it or not. Darn good exercise. I am, however, too darn old to do a lot of things, like skydiving, rock climbing, skateboarding...or yard work.

Wife and I share expenses pretty equally, and we each spend only about half of our incomes. It's a comforting feeling.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I go to work to get some rest. LOL when the farm stuff slows down I go back to the excavation company and get in the machine actually much easier than the farm stuff

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Retire as soon as you can. Might not be as much money but a heck of a lot more quality of life.I have been retired 19 years. Not one day did I wish I was working.

I don't have all I want, but I have all I need.

My father in law, kept saying he wanted to work one more year, one more hear. Quadruple bypass surgery and he didn't survive it.

If I would get $1000/ mo. more than my SS and pension, I would be out there in about 10 seconds. Company loyalty be dammed,I have seen to many companies say their employees are family, but when times get tough,the family is laid off

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll work till I die, I do as I please and hardly ever fish when it's hunting season.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont plan to retire unless I cant do my job any longer. Its not physically taxing, I don't have to be in a building at any certain time or there all day and can travel and still do it with some minimal support from my office. Plus I enjoy it. Stress can be controlled by who I take on as a client and easily remedied if I make the mistake of working with a shin biter.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I was kind of taught, a man must be productive or he's not a man.

Grandpa and Grandma were still farming 100 acres, miking cows, raising a garden and chickens at 80 plus. Of course, with regular help from assorted grandsons. Of which they had plenty close at hand.

I inherited arthritis from my Mom. I will be glad to retire earlier than that. My 66'th birthday is in a couple weeks. SS at 66 and 4 months, Pension after I see a couple SS checks hit the bank. I figure Feb 28.

We are not wealthy. But I have a HD 3/4 ton 4x4 with 130K on the meter that will last me as long as I can drive it. There's a 9 foot Lance Camper for when I want to pull the 19 foot jet boat, and a 26 foot trailer if the ATV is going instead of the boat.

We are set for toys and entertainment. We do not have expensive tastes, we never intend to get on a commercial airplane or rent a motel room. Hell, I have not even been able to get Momma into a movie theater in over ten years. And I do not do hookers and coke. So we should be able to continue feeding the savings accounts.

My goal is to keep both of us off of medicaide and food stamps until we depart this Earth. Depending on future actions of the damned Democrats, I think I can do that.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been retired for 9 years. I think I've found my calling. laugh

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being self-employed I work whenever I'm needed and as long as it takes to get the job done on time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've retired 2 times once when i was 48 yr old, lasted 2 years, got bored, next time at 68 yrs old, lasted about a year got bored, went back to work, signed up for S.S. at 73 yrs old, now i'm 83 yrs old, and looks like i'm about done working,but will still guide hunters as much as i can, my day's of traveling are over, my back just can't stand long drives, I still reload and shoot long range in the off season, I will hunt even if i have to go out in a wheel chair. I don't have to walk far my jeeps will take almost any where i want to go on the ranch, and if i need help all i have to do is get on the radio and help will be here soon, old age sucks, but i've had a great life and i'm not ready to give it up yet. Rio7.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im almost 60 and job has no pension.
Work til I keel over. Job is kinda dangerous and physical, so may happen sooner rather than later.

401 and SS about it.
Aint even looked to see how much has been lost recently.

Oh well.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hard work defines a man... always has.

The ability to turn it off... keep it in balance... or just go fishing... is not easy for some of us.

I would LOVE to hire out some of it, but can't find available skill anywhere.

"Can't get a good man these days, under 60" Quint

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Saddlesore: I agree with your contention of retiring as soon as you can 100%!
I retired at age 50 and could have retired at age 46 - if I had known how absolutely wonderful retirement was I would have taken my earlier option!
I am in my 25th year of retirement now and it has been heaven on earth.
I hope the original poster does not burn himself out before his upcoming retirement.
Retired life is NOT just good - it is GREAT!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
OT is a way of life here. We have guys at $29/hour making $110,000 plus/year.

In 2020, I added 40% to my annual income with OT.

We have new managent this year, and she is determined to reduce OT. I expect some of the guys to lose their homes or cars if that happens.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (35, badwolf, BDR1, beefan, 9 invisible), 1,431 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.