Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm doing a sort of frankenpack.

I've carried a Mystery Ranch Pop-Up for a few years, first the 18, now a 28. I like the idea but there are some shortcomings. The main things are with the bag empty, both of those tended to ride off-center, and with the straps as tight as I could make them, still slid around a bit making some noise. Most of my hunting is in very close quarters, heavy brush with shots coming at 20 yards or less so the noise is a bigger issue than it would be in more open country.

This spring I picked up an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe. I also got several of their bags. The frame is great, the bags not so much. Main hope was the G1 "little brother". I did not understand that when it zipped to the frame, it compressed away all of the storage capacity of the G1 so it's no longer useful for carrying stuff. When I attach it with the straps rather than zipper, it has the same noise issues as the bag shifts around that the Mystery Ranch packs had/have.

My solution for now is the F1 Mainframe with a Hill People Gear Tumahara "bag only" option. I tuck the Mainframe straps for lugging meat tight against the frame and use grimlocks to attach the HPG bag to the loops on the frame where the buckles / snaps for the straps on the frame attach. Everything lines up perfectly. The attachment is tight enough that there's no shifting thus no noise yet the HPG bag is not so tightly attached that I can't fit my meat sacks, etc in the bag with a little space left over for a bottle or two of water.

So .. I probably have some Eberlestock bags, etc to get rid of one of these days.

One thing from Eberlestock I want to try is the Vapor 2500 on that frame. Have not done that yet.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
The first time I hunted Mountain Goats in the Chugach Mountains my guide used a Alps Outdoor Z Commander Freighter and bag and I saw first hand it's utility. The second time I hunted with the outfit I made sure I had one. Not only have I packed out big game, but things like chainsaws, Jerry gas cans, boat motors, cast iron box stove and saddle and gear from a injured horse.

I use the alps and an 30 years old cabbalas external frame When I just need to strap shcit to like a tree stand back into remote areas . Use it to strap a float tube to in remote back country lakes for trout

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'm doing a sort of frankenpack.

I've carried a Mystery Ranch Pop-Up for a few years, first the 18, now a 28. I like the idea but there are some shortcomings. The main things are with the bag empty, both of those tended to ride off-center, and with the straps as tight as I could make them, still slid around a bit making some noise. Most of my hunting is in very close quarters, heavy brush with shots coming at 20 yards or less so the noise is a bigger issue than it would be in more open country.

This spring I picked up an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe. I also got several of their bags. The frame is great, the bags not so much. Main hope was the G1 "little brother". I did not understand that when it zipped to the frame, it compressed away all of the storage capacity of the G1 so it's no longer useful for carrying stuff. When I attach it with the straps rather than zipper, it has the same noise issues as the bag shifts around that the Mystery Ranch packs had/have.

My solution for now is the F1 Mainframe with a Hill People Gear Tumahara "bag only" option. I tuck the Mainframe straps for lugging meat tight against the frame and use grimlocks to attach the HPG bag to the loops on the frame where the buckles / snaps for the straps on the frame attach. Everything lines up perfectly. The attachment is tight enough that there's no shifting thus no noise yet the HPG bag is not so tightly attached that I can't fit my meat sacks, etc in the bag with a little space left over for a bottle or two of water.

So .. I probably have some Eberlestock bags, etc to get rid of one of these days.

One thing from Eberlestock I want to try is the Vapor 2500 on that frame. Have not done that yet.

Tom,
I have the vapor 2500 and 7500. Love them both! Also have the batwings and they are cool but probably not as useful, IMO.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a Eberlestock X1 as a day pack for a while. It was heavy when it was empty, but it worked. Then I dropped a buck on the wrong side, of the wrong canyon. Boned out the buck and knew right away that not only was the hike out going to really suck. But that I would never use that pack again.

Looked around at packs for a few months and landed on Stone Glacier Krux Evo frame and a 40/56 bag. Took me a year of thinking on it, before I spent the money. Its a Badass set up. Ended up changing out the bag for a Serac 1700. Thought I had things about perfect. But after packing meat with it a few times and just never was able to get the pack to fit quite right. I started looking around again. Found a used Xcurve frame on here and damn if that thing doesnt fit me way better.

I have no regrets about buying the what I did. That said if I were to do it over, I would probly cruise the forums and pick up a used frame and pack. Save a few hundred bucks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tried several packs & the Eberlestock x2 worked fine as a daypack first load out pack. I replaced that & larger frame packs with Mystery Ranch Sawtooth that is bigger, lighter & carries a load drastically better. It’s even a nicer sitting rifle rest.

It’s night & day on comfort carrying heavy loads. 80 lbs isn’t much harder than 30 & 100 is still manageable for me. The better you have it adjusted & fit the better it feels packing out. In my opinion only boots make a bigger difference in hunting comfortably.

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I. I have carried packs for work and pleasure since I was ten and am 76 now. I have owned/used many and am now using two Seek Outside packs plus a modded Dana Design frame, the best of the frame packs I have used. If, I
were not so old, I would buy a McHale, much like Mod7Rem,s, but, I find SO packs superb and they are outstanding to deal with in every respect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by handwerk
My main pack is a Stone Glacier 5900, there are other great packs out there , some from hunting company/some not. I've packed both deer and elk out quite a ways with it and a glad I spent the money on a pack that fit's me well and has a load shelf.
If you can't spring for a SG, Mystery Ranch packs are often on sale at pretty good prices or just watch for a good used one.

A guy should really try on a SG, Mystery Ranch or Kifaru. They all are great packs and all fit different. And as Randy said, some great savings buying 2-3 year old packs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by handwerk
My main pack is a Stone Glacier 5900, there are other great packs out there , some from hunting company/some not. I've packed both deer and elk out quite a ways with it and a glad I spent the money on a pack that fit's me well and has a load shelf.
If you can't spring for a SG, Mystery Ranch packs are often on sale at pretty good prices or just watch for a good used one.

A guy should really try on a SG, Mystery Ranch or Kifaru. They all are great packs and all fit different. And as Randy said, some great savings buying 2-3 year old packs.

Been up scouting for sheep yet?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Kuiu carbon frame pack and have also used the Badlands Ox frame. The most important thing is that the pack fits you. The longer Xl or tall Ox frame fits me better and it makes a huge difference under a load. I looked at some Kifaru packs and the quality of material is superior to my Kuiu. If you can try them on before buying that would be beneficial.

Isaiah 6:8

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Following and learning.... I signed up for a cow elk hunt in Utah and the outfitter said to bring a meat pack. I've hunted big game all my life, but have only used a meat pack once and that was a borrowed pack for deer in Alaska. I don't recall the brand.

I can't see spending big money on a meat pack that I'll only use once or twice in my life, so I'll look at used packs or something under $250.00 or so. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting the meat out isn't part of the outfitter's services? If not, will they get it out for an extra $250?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Getting the meat out isn't part of the outfitter's services? If not, will they get it out for an extra $250?

It's part of it. We're hiking in. I can't see hiking out beside him not carrying a load. Pretty Cheap hunt as well.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.