Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rifles shoot loose and never tight. Hint.

Said Reupold mounting "system",is a fhuqking joke. Hint...............

I am not a Leupold basher as many are on this forum, more than half the scopes on my rifles are Leupold and work flawlessly.
On this topic however I think Big Stick understated it !!!!!!!!!
to me worst mounting system ever, got rid of all of mine more than a decade ago.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not crazy about them, but never had one fail either. Lots of old bolt rifles only have three holes drilled, just for the one-piece apparently, so need another one added for different bases. Last time I had that done, it was four months before I got my rifle back. Never needed the windage to save the day for me due to something being crooked, but it does save clicks, and having the scope’s windage relatively close to center is probably a plus.

My Heym 98 .308 is one of the three-holers, also with the clip-loading slot. Took it in for a fourth hole and the smith found that the bridge contour behind the rear hole didn’t match current bases, so it was a choice between the one-piece standard base and a bunch of $100 an hour smithery. Guess which one I chose.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The adjustable windage mounts are junk

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, Leupold used to call for 60 inch lbs of torque. 40-60 inch lbs ensures destruction of the screws.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Everything by leupold is showing 45”lbs Just seems awfully tight when getting the torque wrench to break at that setting Is everyone else getting them that tight??Leupold std base

45 is too much

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The other issue I've run into with the Leupold Redfield style base and rings is that any Leupold rear ring I've tried in recent years tends to rotate some when tightening down the windage screws so that the ring ends up slightly canted. Lapping is a must, IMO. I have no idea why, if this is a quality control issue, or what. So I tried the Leupold bases and Burris Signature rings with the nylon inserts. These rotated some too when tightening down the windage screws, but the rings' nylon inserts allows some play so that the front and rear nylon insert walls are in alignment. I like the Burris rings better, but I never had a Burris front ring that didn't nearly require a cheater bar to turn on the base.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rifles shoot loose and never tight. Hint.

Said Reupold mounting "system",is a fhuqking joke. Hint...............

I am not a Leupold basher as many are on this forum, more than half the scopes on my rifles are Leupold and work flawlessly.
On this topic however I think Big Stick understated it !!!!!!!!!
to me worst mounting system ever, got rid of all of mine more than a decade ago.

Another vote against STD, Redfield, JR and/or any other mount system with rear windage screws that only catch a small nub to hold the rear base in place. Do yourself a service and switch to something better.

If the base screw holes on your rig are misaligned, necessitating such mounting contrivances, find a different rifle to work with.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tighten till you see smoke or a spark, then another quarter turn.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.