R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Really nice.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Leighton. My mom used to say I was raised by the Japanese. The farm that I grew up on in a little town in Utah was ran By two brothers, Jim and Tom Matsumori. They both were in interment camps as babies at the Topaz mountain camps outside Delta Utah. My greatest memories of my youth were helping them on the farm with cabbage, cauliflower, radishes, green onions and parsley. My gramps owned the farm that they leased from him for 22 years. Then for another 20 years the Kuwahara brothers ran it also a couple Japanese brothers that I got to know very well. PS the Kuwaharas still have a Produce selling operation where I grew up.

Sorry don't have any pics but a nice stroll down memory lane.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Leighton. My mom used to say I was raised by the Japanese. The farm that I grew up on in a little town in Utah was ran By two brothers, Jim and Tom Matsumori. They both were in interment camps as babies at the Topaz mountain camps outside Delta Utah. My greatest memories of my youth were helping them on the farm with cabbage, cauliflower, radishes, green onions and parsley. My gramps owned the farm that they leased from him for 22 years. Then for another 20 years the Kuwahara brothers ran it also a couple Japanese brothers that I got to know very well. PS the Kuwaharas still have a Produce selling operation where I grew up.

Sorry don't have any pics but a nice stroll down memory lane.

Small world sometimes, and thanks for sharing, bud. I was duck hunting in the Boise, ID area some years ago and a guest on a property that some of the friends of my local host was friendly with. Turns out their family was interned at Heart Mountain, WY during the war. They remained owners during the war only due to the neighbors/friends they'd made over the previous decades pre-WWII. In fact, had it not been for the kindness and generosity of said neighbors that they'd have been released from the camps with nothing to their names, even after some 60 years of working their land. Their neighbors took care of their land and paid their bills and farmed it through the end of the war, and welcomed those interned with open arms upon their release. They also presented with every penny that they'd earned while the owners were incarcerated. Can you say, 'patriots'? Can't imagine any deeper showing of love and kindness than that.

I was told that the two J/A brothers who'd been interned were hard-core waterfowl hunters, and would regularly invite other local boys to smash ducks on the family fields pre-war, and after. One of the old timers who was in attendance at a few of those field-based hunts when I was out there related that those [bleep] brothers were straight up duck killers, but ones who'd occasionally have off days in the blind where birds just didn't want to sit down into their spread. Why? Because both were chain smokers and you could see the smoke emanating from their blind a quarter mile off... wink

A couple more shots. C'mon, kids. I know some of you SOBs are hiding some treasures you should be sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZrRqpBw.jpg?1[/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Neat stuff, I after seeing it, I have a Hawthorne 16 ga like the one you have the flyer for. My Dad bought it for my brother and I in the early 60's. Man does that thing kick!
Thanks for the memories!

Want to hear something painful and gut-wrenching? After my asking her about it, my dear aunt explained to me after my delicately inquiring that after she was widowed, she called the local constabulary and had them come 'dispose' of an entire room full of firearms. When I asked her how many, she said, 'I don't know, maybe more than 100...'. She also explained that she'd given the next door hick neighbor her late husband's '52 Chevy Bel Air with a four speed manual. Said it was 'too powerful and made too much noise' for her to want to keep and drive it, opting for one of her beloved aircraft carrier sized Buicks instead...

FARK!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Fats, did you mean to say 44 special???

chlins my bad, old age and talking on phone while posting. It's actually a 44Winchester or 44-40.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Really cool stuff!
Picked this up some years back, loaded a couple rounds, worked great!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's some cool stuff L.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 11 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.