Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Last time I passed thru Sydney Neb, I stopped in....

If I didn't have to use the bathroom to take a whiz, I'd have been in there less than 5 minutes to walk thru the store...

so taking a Whiz, added two minutes to my trip inside....

would have been a total waste of my time If I didn't stop and take that Whiz....

and as for their "gun library".... always thought that was nothing but overpriced selection of already over priced guns....
so I just stopped and looked at that selection, if I needed a chuckle about something....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

HR IC

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The one in Buffalo is usually way overpriced on used guns.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
They took care of the situation well, but the gun is back on their site with the wrong cartridge again. @

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by iddave
Originally Posted by shinbone
I bought my first shotgun at the Sydney Cabelas in the mid-80's. I bought a lot of stuff from Cabelas since, then, too. I always stopped at Cabelas whenever I happened to be close to one. Cabelas was the first place I looked whenever I needed something. They always had lots of good stuff at very fair prices, and the Cabelas house-brand was always a great value.

Now I drive by two stores in my area all the time and don't even think about stopping in. In fact, Cabelas would pretty much be the last place I ever stopped if I needed hunting/fishing/camping gear.

I've switched over to Sportsman's Warehouse and Scheels for my brick and mortar outlets.

Its the end of an era.

This exactly.

100 percent agree. I can remember as a kid getting the Cabelas “big book” catalog and loving it. The first store I went to was Owatonna, MN on a family Vacation to a Twins game. We stopped at other stores when traveling and bought 90 percent of our hunting and camping stuff from them. Especially when one was built in Mitchell friends and I would go there for sale events.
Now I live 20 minutes from the Rapid City store and go there only as a last resort. I go to Scheels most of the time. I really enjoy Sportsman’s Warehouse but the closest to me is in Gillette.

I bought a used 6CM from Cabelas Gun Library this spring. All went fine until I went to pick it up and they couldn’t find it. They eventually did but what should’ve been a 30 minute deal took 90.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to the Hamburg store years ago on the day after Christmas. Was a Super Spreader opportunity for certain, SRO! Great sales that day, and the Gun Library was chock-full of nifty stuff. Last time I went was in 2014 on the way home from JFK. Place was nasty, the taxidermy was in poor condition, and since it was during another ammo dearth, I only managed to acquire a few needful things. I’ve since been to the Gainesville, VA store, which is newer and cleaner, but still not worth an hour drive.

Still have some shirts and a very old coat (Made in USA, no less!) that refuse to die from before the sellout, but I don’t even look on their site for that stuff anymore. What a tragedy.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I love the older Cabelas hunting clothes.

Now, all they have is cheap imported stuff.

Dropped in the Gonzales store South of Baton Rouge couple months ago. Very few cars in the parking lot. Gun Library was closing early. Guy told me they were having problems finding employees and customers.

Almost nothing in reloading. They had two cans of powder, I bought one.

Poor excuse compared to what they once were.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by EdM
They have made it clear that they are no longer supporting fine guns. There are plenty of other places to shop for them.

Like GunsInternational where this listing was found.

Cabela's does have some nice stuff listed on GI, with competitive pricing. Their descriptions are often woefully inadequate though and their pictures usually suck. laugh

I have never been burnt by one of their guns unlike other Online dealers.
THIS. And returns, absolutely no issues.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think cabelas and bass pro are in a tough spot. Most of your top of the line hunting gear can now be bought on line…. Doesn’t fit? Send it back for free for new size.

Looking for a certain rifle… gunbroker

Times have changed and the big box store model that’s got a large overhead for a large store sort of isn’t a sustainable model.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They took care of the situation well, but the gun is back on their site with the wrong cartridge again. @

OMG. Some people never learn.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

OMG. Some people never learn.

Yep it is still listed as a 270 Winchester https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101219550

I wanted to call the store and tell them they have it listed wrong but hey I am not as knowledgeable as these Gun Library guys.

BTW I broke down yesterday and added another 70 grin

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
I stopped in their home store in Sidney Nebraska last month just to see their much heralded "Gun Library" There was one Rem Mountain rifle on consignment for a ridiculous price and the rest of the racks had sporadic modern ( new) pumping auto shotguns from their inventory.That was it.
I was there in 2004, I was impressed with the library. They had several DR'S there. Sounds like they have gone downhill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
I think cabelas and bass pro are in a tough spot. Most of your top of the line hunting gear can now be bought on line…. Doesn’t fit? Send it back for free for new size.

Times have changed and the big box store model that’s got a large overhead for a large store sort of isn’t a sustainable model.

I dunno. Chicken or the egg? For my part, I know I stopped going and looking online because they no longer had stuff I wanted to buy, and that started about the time rumors of the BPS buyout began. Used to buy all my pants and shirts from their website, plus other gear as well. Several times me and my family travelled for hours to visit the store in person. I think, like Reagan and the Democrat Party, they left me. Now Amazon and sometimes Sportsmans Guide and Midway, are getting that business.if I want the mega-gunshop experience, I’ll toodle on down to Greentop, or hit Clark Bros. in Warrenton for the mini-mega version.

Similar experience with Gander Mountain. They went nationwide with retail stores, with two nice ones nearby. Someone bought them out and fugged them up. Both those GM stores did a steady business until the buyout.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Agree

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Agree
Ya reckon the new business model is against big malls, big expensive brick and mortar facilities? Don’t ya think Covid may have started that trend, Amazon and other on line companies picking up the slack?

Could be a new trend in retailing.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/12/22.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Is that considered an up-send??
I just received a Sako they had listed on GunsInternational. Talked to the owning store and the sob story on how they secure their guns every night made me fear for its continued well being. Luckily they were able to send it to my local store for pickup before any further harm - even reduced the price because it was "old". My experience took less than a week to "out the door".

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I still wear a cabelas wool coat my grandma bought me for Xmas 20 odd years ago it’s bullet proof and warm I highly doubt there’s one like that now

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a 270 win Model 70 as per their website and at least 3 gun library employees confirmed it was a 270 Win . I got a 270 WSM Model 70 instead. My FFL read off their invoice and it said 270 Winchester, he had to correct his books . Its ok , they gave me a call tag and it is going back tomorrow.

270WSM is a great cartridge. Maybe god is telling you something . . .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All gun places I've been have seen dwindling used racks.

I think Joe gun owner is seeing the writing on the wall and much less willing to give something up these days - better off simply saving another month or two and buying it outright, no trade so you have 2 guns, not 1. So to speak.

Me

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Cabelas is dead. You can read the name on the tombstone, but they're still dead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
All gun places I've been have seen dwindling used racks.

I think Joe gun owner is seeing the writing on the wall and much less willing to give something up these days - better off simply saving another month or two and buying it outright, no trade so you have 2 guns, not 1. So to speak.

I've seen the same. Think guys are also hesitant to trade because 'they don't make 'em like that anymore' is accelerating rapidly under the $1000 price point. Hard to get raped on trade and swallow the price tag on a new pick your poison.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.