Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tell me about "Warped Lug Nuts". Took my truck to Ford dealer last week for an oil change and tire rotation. They called and told me I had warped lug nuts and wanted an additional $125.00 to replace them. I asked if this was like "blinker fluid" and they said No...its a real thing. I declined the service. Ever heard of such a thing? It's an F -150.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just say no. They don't warp. They may round off a couple, but not warp and that would be the fault of whoever used the wrong socket to remove them. And fire that dealer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There was a thread here last week about this. It’s caused by the aluminum shell on the steel lug nuts corroding and distorting, sometimes to the point your lug wrench won’t fit. Check them out, replace with all steel nuts.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did they look like this?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I posted this thread a couple weeks ago on the same issue. Come to find out, it ain't just Ford.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/17325208/re-good-job-ford#Post17325208

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From the link:

The capped lug nuts can be found on many post-2010 model years of the Fusion, Escape, Flex, Focus, F-150, and F-350. Consider yourselves lucky, F-250 owners.

Unexpected costs of two-piece lug nuts ∞
Because the lug nuts don't swell in a predictable or uniform manner, even roadside assistance services like AAA often can't remove the lug nuts roadside. Instead, owners need to use a towing service.
When at the shop, owners are told they'll need to replace the lug nuts and at $8 a pop / 5 per wheel, the costs can really add up.
Plaintiff Robert Desotelle says he and other owners must pay to replace the swollen and cracked lug nuts, and then cover the labor costs to remove the bad lug nuts. Desotelle says he paid $58.28 in repair and replacement costs for just one of the four wheels on his Ford Fusion.
Ford has been staunchly unsympathetic when it comes to complaints about lug nuts and says "the plaintiffs talk about swollen lug nuts as if the lug nuts should be indestructible and the warranties should last forever." Lug nuts shouldn't last forever, but they also shouldn't be impossible to remove without special equipment after 10,000 miles.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had them , chiseled the caps off myself and removed the actual lug nuts underneath. Replaced with one piece . It’s a real thing

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This sounds like a purposefully engineered defect…

elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah…that’s kinda what they told me. Looks like they’d have lug nuts figured out by now. And maybe he said “swell”…not warped.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is a good reminder to check the type lug nuts one has on a vehicle. Replace them if capped with Al preemptively, to avoid being stranded.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
By the title, I thought this thread would be about our current administration.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another result of our helpful Dept of Transportation and all the road salt they dump on our highways.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thought you were talkin' about liberals............... dang....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Another result of our helpful Dept of Transportation and all the road salt they dump on our highways.

Jerry

Always hated the salt.
Until they started using brine.
If they had used brine in the late 70s-early 80s, those cars would have
rotted out while you watched.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Jerry
More to do w aluminum coated lug nuts and so.e phuqck head using an impact on em.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Jerry
More to do w aluminum coated lug nuts and so.e phuqck head using an impact on em.
From what I’ve read, it’s primarily caused by heat and corrosion and resulting distortion.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Jerry
From what I’ve read, it’s primarily caused by heat and corrosion.
No disagreement here but had they been steel there would have been no issues and if they hadn't been hammered on they may have lasted a little longer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If Ford wasn't the first, they certainly strive to be the best at screwing up something as simple as a lugnut. This is why I absolutely HATE Fords. They engineer failure into every vehicle and I won't buy another.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
From the link:

The capped lug nuts can be found on many post-2010 model years of the Fusion, Escape, Flex, Focus, F-150, and F-350. Consider yourselves lucky, F-250 owners.

Unexpected costs of two-piece lug nuts ∞
Because the lug nuts don't swell in a predictable or uniform manner, even roadside assistance services like AAA often can't remove the lug nuts roadside. Instead, owners need to use a towing service.
When at the shop, owners are told they'll need to replace the lug nuts and at $8 a pop / 5 per wheel, the costs can really add up.
Plaintiff Robert Desotelle says he and other owners must pay to replace the swollen and cracked lug nuts, and then cover the labor costs to remove the bad lug nuts. Desotelle says he paid $58.28 in repair and replacement costs for just one of the four wheels on his Ford Fusion.
Ford has been staunchly unsympathetic when it comes to complaints about lug nuts and says "the plaintiffs talk about swollen lug nuts as if the lug nuts should be indestructible and the warranties should last forever." Lug nuts shouldn't last forever, but they also shouldn't be impossible to remove without special equipment after 10,000 miles.
Kinda silly to think it's only Ford or only certain models of Ford. My wifes Buick has the swollen lug nuts and there are lots of Youtube videos where mechanics show what they go through to get theses lugs off all brands.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If Ford wasn't the first, they certainly strive to be the best at screwing up something as simple as a lugnut. This is why I absolutely HATE Fords. They engineer failure into every vehicle and I won't buy another.

Alrighty then.

LOL

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elwood
Tell me about "Warped Lug Nuts". Took my truck to Ford dealer last week for an oil change and tire rotation. They called and told me I had warped lug nuts and wanted an additional $125.00 to replace them. I asked if this was like "blinker fluid" and they said No...its a real thing. I declined the service. Ever heard of such a thing? It's an F -150.

If you are in the habit of taking your truck to the dealer for an oil change (?) and tire rotation then it was the dealer that fugged up the cheap-ass two piece lug nuts and they should be replacing them gratis.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.