Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Southern Comfort is to be avoided in any circumstance, never mind being sick on it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, "aversive conditioning" with our gastric system hot-wired directly to one's brain. A protective survival mechanism but it can often be wrong. If one has 5 items in a meal with one of them being new or novel, the subsequent gastric wreck will be blamed on the novel item even though the root cause might have been any of the other 4.

Scientists have tried to use the process to adjust animal diets with an objective of either tricking them into avoiding desirable forages (like having one's goat weed the strawberry patch) or perhaps avoiding toxic plants. One offers up the new item and the critters are simultaneously given a dose of lithium chloride. They're not aware of the chloride but they get one Hell of a stomachache. It works quite well, but once out on their own most will do some testing or see their peers are having no issues, and eventually revert to their habitual choices. Retreatment can reinforce the aversion, but again it's rare to have it stick.

Got sick as a 5-year-old at a church picnic placing blame on a bad hotdog. Could have just as easily been potato salad, chicken, Kool aide, any of the other common picnic items, or even some totally unrelated stomach bug. I was about 22 or 23 years old before I consumed another dog.

My worst event as an adult was with a huge lunch time Mexican food platter carrying all manner of goodies. I put down two more hefty meals before the eruptions from both ends appeared. The explosions came just at the start of a road trip from SE Oregon to San Diego. Instructions to the driver were that if I uttered stop one was to immediately lock the brakes regardless of location. Mooned a lot of passing motorist out in the desert on that trip. No way to hide a 6'4" frame in a stand of low sagebrush, and I was weak on Mexican food for a couple years.

In hindsight, I wish I had done some aversive conditioning with my kid and fillet mignon. Would have saved me a bundle.

It's obvious from above that those never again drinking events can cause one to swear off for quite some time too. A few test sessions with a little moderation, however, and we mostly come back.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/24/22.

1Minute
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Your mom

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I should add, I did go through ‘steps’ to retrain myself - I work in kitchens and am constantly around bacon in whichever forms and incarnations. I forced myself to start nibbling on it, from time to time. There’s no way a guy, a certified chef, an epicure, can go through life having a mental aversion to bacon, of all things. It wasn’t long after I started retraining my mind that I was able to eat and enjoy a BLT again. But, it was a matter of years before I could. In fact, I just had and TRULY enjoyed a full on BLT sammich in the identical form of the ‘offensive’ one, last week.

Like Malcolm McDowell said in Clockwork Orange - I AM cured!

The mind is a powerful thing. And it’s all in your mindset.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 06/24/22.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Can't drink wine,got sick on it in high school.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Apple schnapps

Old70

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup Southern Comfort, God me sick on my 18 B-day never drank it again , and don't ever plan too!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Threw up spaghetti and chocolate milk when I was a kid. Still drink chocolate milk, haven't touched spaghetti since.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Where's some wood to knock on... Don't remember the last time I had food poisoning.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ex meth addicts, bi-polar, schitzophrenic women.

But I repeat myself.

LOL
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Got super hammered one night and went in to work the next day (welder). Worked a 12 hour shift, didn't eat or drink anything all day. Went home and ate a huge bowl of watermelon out of the fridge. About 5 minutes later I was running to the bathroom. Yanked open the shower curtain because I knew I didn't have time to hit the bowl and spewed pink liquid and chunks of half digested watermelon all over the walls of the shower. Had to snot out the remainder of what ended up going through my nose, and apparently my body didn't like being bent over at a 90 degree angle from the waist because I projectile vomited the remainder of my stomach contents on the side of the tub and my boots. Had to get rid of that particular pair of boots, I could smell the puke on them for weeks, even after a vigorous scrubbing and leather treatment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Your mom
LOL!

Gin. Mixed it with Grape kool aid when I was 16.
I can't even crush a juniper berry without dry vomiting at age 62.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
local pizza joint. Mom was outta town, so dad took us kids there for dinner. Everybody got tore up. 25 years later, been sold probly 4 times . And i still havnt stepped foot in there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Southern Comfort. Got stupid drunk on it when I was 18 and haven't touched it since.

Me too. Only I was 16. Just the thought of it makes me wanna puke.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Yup Southern Comfort, God me sick on my 18 B-day never drank it again , and don't ever plan too!

^^^^

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Back in the late 1980s I ate an entire package of frozen candied yams as a meal (cooked in the micro according to package instructions, of course). I used to love that stuff. Just a couple hours later, I got so sick that, rather than being afraid I'd die, I was afraid I wouldn't. Back and forth to the toilet for vomiting sessions all night. To this day, I still get a little nauseous at the very thought of candied yams. Won't go near them.

Obviously, the package was contaminated with some kind of food poisoning.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sushi, got food poisoning. Haven’t had it since, and that was 20 years ago.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Udorn, Thailand, 1964. Ate downtown , not supposed to do that, puking and schizzling fits for 3 days. Squadron commander was not pleased about me missing 3 days of duty, got confinement to base for 30 days which was fine with me.

I have not had a drop of alcohol in over 30 years, got sick and tired of waking up sick and tired.

I keep a bottle of tequila under the sink at all times in case the drain gets clogged.

Last edited by jnyork; 06/24/22.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
When I was19 and stationed at Ft.Bragg I got really sick on tequila. Only I could drink it after that is with salt and lemon. Some might think why? It’s cause and effect. Because I like the effect. As an aside, I loved Chinese food until my wife tried to kill me by giving me leftovers that were in her car for 8 hrs. Was 10 yrs until I could even drive by a restaurant without holding my breath. Never perused charges, for the kids sake.

Home Of The Mollies
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
This one hasn't been mentioned yet, which might be strange. " LIVERWURST "
As a kid about 60 years ago, had to eat some, according to mothers orders. Upchucked it all about a hour later, Strangely, when you looked at it, you couldn't tell if it was before or after.
60 years later, can't stand to look at it or smell it.

Last edited by oldhunter49; 06/24/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fish and chips at Carrows Restaurant about 20 years ago. Stayed out of Carrows and only had seafood one time eating out since.

Boones Farm Strawberry Hill almost 50 years ago did it for me too. I was sitting on the pot pizzing out my asz and puking in a trash can at the same time.

Last edited by smarquez; 06/24/22.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 75 invisible), 3,233 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,555
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.