Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Thunderbirds are flying as I type this. Watched them a bit from my deck, but eight miles from the runway and trees between makes it hard.

I teared up, remembering how I used to fly formation like that. Never again, of course, and that hurts.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
But you can always say that you have done it! And Lived it! Many of us have not!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was offered the job of T'Bird announcer at one time, and turned it down. Coulda, woulda, shoulda... But at that time, my daughters were pre-teens and the idea of them spending three years in Las Vegas with me gone 300 days a year was not tenable.

On the bright side, that decision eventually allowed me to be the NASA countdown guy, so it all worked out for the best.

Still, there is NOTHING like flying high-performance jets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
flying is one of those things that the more you do it, the more you WANT to do it and the less you do it the less you want to do it.

I am glad some of those days are past.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We go over the hill about 4-7 times a winter to watch the Blues off the end of the runway at NAF El Centro. Kinda ruins the regular airshow at Miramar you are so damn close. The last few years we have been treated to the T birds when they come down for the pilot exchange program........fantastic show they fly.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd give my left nut to go watch the T/Birds....

Entry price is not the question...$15/family !!!!!!!!

I'm 3+ hrs away.....hard to leave Podunk to go to the city

100K people ? My Gawd...........

Rocky....tell us of your AF career..........

NASA countdown guy !!!!!!!!! whoa......(:

https://www.ksl.com/article/5042955...ns-dazzling-spectators-with-performances

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tikka, one of these days, you're gonna send me an invite to come and ride into the backcountry, sip beer, and allow me to regale you with memories. And I'll show up.

In the meantime... When I was a little kid, I wanted to be three things. I wanted to be John Wayne fighter pilot. I wanted to be Scotty Powers, the guy who counted backwards for NASA, and I wanted to be Jack O'Connor gun writer. Believe it or not, I manged to be all three. (I was never as good as O'Connor but I did manage to publish almost 100 shooting articles.)

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was at Hill for 8 years, always "worked" the airshows, then would enjoy them the next day. The T-birds are fun to see. When I was there, worked with the "Viper West" demo team. IDK what they do with the new -35, but seeing the Viper train most Fridays was never not cool.

All that said, I am over the jet noise for a while. I am soon to be moving far away from it for a while.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Probably one the greatest recruiting tools ever for both teams. The shows they do over air stations are the best where they can get things down near the ground. They have to keep movements quite a bit higher around the mega cities. Videos from the ground suggest they're nice smooth synchronized rides. Shots from the cockpit indicate they're constantly on the stick and the epidemy of concentration.

I can't imagine the skills and training it takes to do ground level stuff upside down. Doesn't seem right to push the stick forward to climb out at the end.

Quite an accomplishment to make those teams. Being USN, I'm partial the Blue Angels. Back in about 1972 they did a 9-day airshow at Dulles (Transpo 72 ). I think every team in the world was there and 3 or 4 pilots bought farm that week. Even got to kick the tires and sit in the shade of a SR-71.

If I could do life over again, I'd not change a single experience across my 4 years of working Naval Air. Worked with A3-B's. I could do everything except pull the chocks and take off. Just tying them down and running them wide open for high power tests was a kick in the ass.

Reaching the age here where several of my pending experiences might be the last go around. One's final flight probably fits in that realm.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/25/22.

1Minute
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rocky

UR on.......I've been known to just disappear for the day

Just like Thursday..almost headed to CR NP area...but didn't

Kool trail goes into the south Park..from Lower Bowns

Pic .........near there

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by tikkanut; 06/25/22.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Thunderbirds are flying as I type this. Watched them a bit from my deck, but eight miles from the runway and trees between makes it hard.

I teared up, remembering how I used to fly formation like that. Never again, of course, and that hurts.
I feel the same way when a Blackhawk or Huey fly over head. I used to be there. Those used to be my birds. I got to touch them, set in their seats, turn wrenches on them, move them with a tug and put fuel in them. I love the smell of 23699 mixed with WTR and the odor of mothballs. I miss it all. I know, I'm weird.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those air show's are a huge needless waste of tax dollars.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of us who have flown close formation rather jokingly refer to the teams as the Blunderbirds and the Blown Angles because we KNOW how rough it is in there with your wings nearly overlapped in the turbulence from the lead jet. It is indeed a workout to keep a jet that close and appear to be welded together. You never actually move the controls, in fact. You THINK the plane up six inches or closer by a foot - and it goes there. You ignore EVERYTHING but Lead. If he flew into the ground, there'd be four holes exactly spaced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut
R

Great shot Tikka!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by akasparky

Training........

I can think of a hundred other ways the fed's waste money

joe for example.....$400K

that dick head ain't worth $400/year

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

They are actually very valuable training opportunities, much like fly-overs at sporting events.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by tikkanut
R

Great shot Tikka!

LIKE......

Rocky wants to go here (:

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Air shows are more of a recruiting tool than training. The idea of getting to play with all those wonderful toys and getting paid to do it is a powerful incentive.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Those T-birds are pretty good but I like my Blues better. 😁 Very few understand the schedule and pace involved with being a member of either team.
Several years ago the Blues put on a show here at Meridian and when it was over I walked up to the ropeline with my grown daughter and her two daughters. They were completely flabbergasted when several of them called me by name because they had been students of mine earlier. Score one for “Pops” 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

You're right, of course. Those tax dollars could best be used to pay for free housing, free food, free medical and hospitalization, free cell phones, free beer and whisky, free drugs, and free lotto tickets for all the illegal aliens pouring across our southern border plus all the welfare cheats already sucking at the tax payers' teat. crazy

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 70 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.