Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't answer for the 162 gr ELDX but I sure killed a lot of game back in the day with the Hornady 162 gr BTSP so I see no reason why the ELDX wouldn't be just as good or maybe even better.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Futura
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by MS9x56
They are my favorite bullet in 180 grain for my 30-06. Never recovered one but haven’t found any fragments either and I take high shoulder shots for less tracking jobs.

Maybe 178?

I think he is talking about the 180gr SST.. We kind of went off on a tangent talking about the SST's.

Copy.

I suck at pronouns.

P

Hey pharm, have you ever used any of these?:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They had a good sale on them at Coastal about 2 years ago. Less than $30/box.. Probably discontinued or something now? They are 140gr Tipped trophy bonded bullets. I figured they would work very well in the 7mm08..

I have some of those. The 140’s shoot great in my 280 with 54 grains of Hunter. They are quite long though and eat up a lot of powder space so I haven’t tried them in the 7-08. Wish I had bought more when they were available. Going to take that 280 load out this year.

Man, I really like those 140's. I was out shooting today and the those 140 are excellent performers at 400 yards. I was surprised that they drifted less in the wind than the 162 ELDX did. Same exact winds, but the 140's were more on point, even though the 162 trumps them in the bc department. I know a lot of guys tout high bc, but when the proof is on the target, that is what gets my attention... Now I wish I had more of those Trophy Bonded Tips!!!!!! I have 800 162 ELDX and I'll put those to some good use. Saw the LGS has a bunch of RL23 today. I've been wanting to try that powder in the 7mm RM with these pills.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You'll like RL23.. It is like RL26 with a tiny bit less speed and all the benefits of an H Extreme powder. Usually really accurate too.

I echo all your guys thoughts on the Tipped Bear Claws. Wished I'd bought 500 of each when they were less than 25 for 50 when they came out.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
You'll like RL23.. It is like RL26 with a tiny bit less speed and all the benefits of an H Extreme powder. Usually really accurate too.

I echo all your guys thoughts on the Tipped Bear Claws. Wished I'd bought 500 of each when they were less than 25 for 50 when they came out.

I really kick myself in the azz for not buying more. I only bought 2 boxes because I didn't know anything about them. They were around $29/box, if I remember right. That was 2 years ago. I figured they would work well in the 7mm08. I should have bought 10 boxes!! Here's the target from 2 days ago. Honest target, as per usual. Shot at 400 yards. Not spectacular, but it is what it is:

That target was already up at the 400 yard target board, so I just used it. Figured there was plenty of room there to gather the data I needed. Found it odd that the 140 would outshoot the 162 ELDX. Seemed like the wind was messing with the 162 more. However, I only had those 3 140's to compare the 162's with. One thing about it, if I ever run across more of those 140's, I'm going to buy them. I'll also keep working on the 162 load..
Also, I've decided to loctite the BOSS in place (again!!!) and leave it alone. It could be cool to mess around with, if you only shot factory ammo. When you handload (tailor your ammo to your rifle), Its more than possible to just work up a good load at a fixed setting. My "worked up load" was more consistent at the original setting. That was even after I went up .1 at a time (from 2.0 to 2.8), and then backed it off .1 at a time (from 2.0 to 1.5). I thought I was going to get lucky at one setting, but it was a failed attempt, as 2 other groups said it was a no go. The most consistent setting was 2 on the dial, where I had originally had it set.. I'll take consistency at all barrel temps and fouled conditions over one lucky 3 shot group, just how I roll.. And a 3/4 to 1 moa hunting rifle is good to go. Also, after fn with the BOSS and shooting 15 groups with it, I only had 5 rounds of the 162 eldx to shoot at 400. Like I said, totally honest target there. Not enough ammo left to zero in perfectly. Just shot to compare group size and dispersion of the 162 vs. the 140. I used the last two shots on the yote at 400, of course..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MAC
I can't answer for the 162 gr ELDX but I sure killed a lot of game back in the day with the Hornady 162 gr BTSP so I see no reason why the ELDX wouldn't be just as good or maybe even better.

That is a great bullet MAC. I've made my longest shots with the 162 BTSP interlock one year at 648 yards shooting downhill. LRF set on angle comp. Actual yardage was closer to 700. Then 2 years before that it was with a 165 BTSP interlock out of a 300WSM. Shot at 600 yards even in the same canyon. Great bullets that work very well. I'm going to start testing some 162 BTSP interlocks at 400 out of 2 of my 7mm RM rifles and see how they compare to the ELDX. If it is a wash, I'd just buy the old interlock that has worked so well for years. We will see though.. The proof is always on the target..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Blue Collar Reloading have a bunch of the 7mm 162 gr ELD-X, ELD Match & SST bullets in stock

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Blue Collar Reloading

7mm 162 gr ELD-X

7mm 162 gr ELD Match

7mm 162 gr SST

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I really kick myself in the azz for not buying more. I only bought 2 boxes because I didn't know anything about them. They were around $29/box, if I remember right. That was 2 years ago. I figured they would work well in the 7mm08. I should have bought 10 boxes!! Here's the target from 2 days ago. Honest target, as per usual. Shot at 400 yards. Not spectacular, but it is what it is:

That target was already up at the 400 yard target board, so I just used it. Figured there was plenty of room there to gather the data I needed. Found it odd that the 140 would outshoot the 162 ELDX. Seemed like the wind was messing with the 162 more. However, I only had those 3 140's to compare the 162's with. One thing about it, if I ever run across more of those 140's, I'm going to buy them. I'll also keep working on the 162 load..
Also, I've decided to loctite the BOSS in place (again!!!) and leave it alone. It could be cool to mess around with, if you only shot factory ammo. When you handload (tailor your ammo to your rifle), Its more than possible to just work up a good load at a fixed setting. My "worked up load" was more consistent at the original setting. That was even after I went up .1 at a time (from 2.0 to 2.8), and then backed it off .1 at a time (from 2.0 to 1.5). I thought I was going to get lucky at one setting, but it was a failed attempt, as 2 other groups said it was a no go. The most consistent setting was 2 on the dial, where I had originally had it set.. I'll take consistency at all barrel temps and fouled conditions over one lucky 3 shot group, just how I roll.. And a 3/4 to 1 moa hunting rifle is good to go. Also, after fn with the BOSS and shooting 15 groups with it, I only had 5 rounds of the 162 eldx to shoot at 400. Like I said, totally honest target there. Not enough ammo left to zero in perfectly. Just shot to compare group size and dispersion of the 162 vs. the 140. I used the last two shots on the yote at 400, of course..
Quick question for you, bsa, what is the relative POI between the 162 and 140 at 100 (or whatever your zero range is) in calm conditions? I'm curious if there is an offset to partially explain the perceived greater drift of the 162.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Quick question for you, bsa, what is the relative POI between the 162 and 140 at 100 (or whatever your zero range is) in calm conditions? I'm curious if there is an offset to partially explain the perceived greater drift of the 162.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
150 eldx out of a 7mm-08 is no slouch, either.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s 500 yards, prone, stainless T3, today. She’ll be with me next month for Cascade elk here in Oregon.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
150 eldx out of a 7mm-08 is no slouch, either.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s 500 yards, prone, stainless T3, today. She’ll be with me next month for Cascade elk here in Oregon.

P

Loaded some of those 150 ELDX bullets for my son. His 7mm Rem Mag Bergara shot them very well!

Velocity & accuracy and wow - very flat shooting!

Regards, Guy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guy, looks like a nice load.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cross
I believe that Nathan Foster's opinion was that the 162 SST will hold together a little bit better than the 162 ELDX but that neither one should be used on big bones at high velocities (magnum rifles at close ranges). Makes sense to me.

I think there have been some here prove that the 162 ELDX works just fine, even on big bodied elk. Sorry, but I don't know Nathan Foster. Does he post here? Tell him to post some pics. The ones Pharm posted looked pretty damn good to me. I also have buddies that use the ELDX in factory Hornady precision hunter ammo and they don't have an issue with any deer or elk not succumbing to that bullet when placed in the vitals.

If it hasn’t happened to you or a good buddy it doesn’t exist - well that’s a great philosophy. I thought the same of the Nosler Ballistic Tips until one in 7mm blew up on the ribs of a good 5x5 at 245 yards. The shrapnel in his lungs killed him 500 yards later & he stayed on public land & left a blood trail a blind man could follow in the snow so he was steaks & burger but that was just good luck after that crappy bullet performance.

I switched to Barnes TTSX & now to a 300 Weatherby with Barnes specifically to be as reliable anchoring elk as possible. The deer kills aren’t as spectacular as with a softer more frangible bullet but the elk seem to stay put.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 24 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.