-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The kinda buildings that stay around for a while.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JeffA;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's behaving for you and you're well.

Thanks so much for the photos from the Havre, MT area, I appreciate you doing so.

While Havre is on the south side of the medicine line for sure, my late Mom came from a ranch a couple hours north in eastern Alberta, near 40 Mile Coulee and my late Dad was born in a sod hut a few hours north in western Saskatchewan by Maple Creek.

I believe they both talked about going to Havre from time to time, for sure Mom did.

They're both gone for years now and would have witnessed some scenes similar to what your photos show.

Thanks again and Happy 4th of July.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JeffA;
Afternoon again sir, I still hope you're day's behaving.

Rather than edit this in to my initial reply, I'll put it here since it's likely best I relate tales of brothels in a different reply than one containing my late folks.

When we first moved to BC in the early '80's one of my shooting and handloading mentors was a rather "colorful" fellow who had come out to our part of the Okanagan from Alberta in the spring of '47 - on a surplus Harley and in a blizzard. He's been gone for years as well.

Anyways he was originally from east of Creston and talked about doing survey work south of Grasmere, BC where they'd head into Rexford for supplies. This might have been during the war still as he was too young for the service but not too young to be on a survey crew.

At any rate somehow the subject of Wallace, ID came up one day and he mentioned going down there one payday. That's a fair journey from Rexford but when I hit the post about Wallace, so help me I started laughing and could hear my late buddy's voice and how he'd pronounce both "Wallace" and some of the other words connected with the story. laugh

Thanks yet again for the memories sir, it's very much appreciated.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brothels and Prostitution had quite the role in our country's history.
Many of the madams were pillars of their communities and made considerable contributions.

Larry McMurtry seemed to paint a more accurate description of the trade in his writings of the Lonesome Dove series.

From Matty aka The Great Western in Dead Mans Walk to the beautiful Lori in Lonesome Dove, they were respected girls.

I think we all know why Gus and Captain Call actually hung Jake Spoon.

The trade went from respectable to dark and corrupt rather quick historically.
Too many would rather roll with the fray than show their support of the industry and it's women.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just due to interest shown..

There was a single survivor that went off the Skyway that stormy morning. He was across the top of the bridge when it fell.

His little Ford Courier blazed off the end of the bridge and slammed into the side of the ship that had taken the bridge out.

His truck sunk to the bottom of the bay with him inside, but he managed to escape and save his own life.

[Linked Image from gannett-cdn.com]

This is his story...

At 7:34 a.m. Friday, May 9, 1980, Wesley MacIntire was driving his Ford Courier pickup over the southbound span of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, headed for his job at a meat-delivery business. Just after he threw his two quarters into the tollbooth basket, he would later testify, the steady rain turned cyclonic.

As I went way up to the top of the bridge, the center part where the grating work was, the pickup started to bob up and down. And at the time, I thought it was just the wind blowing up through the bridge, or something like that, made it blow around. But then I started to drop over a high part, and at this point I looked and there I seen the ship. And I knew what had happened.

[Linked Image from 4feo872yrq891mrmgs21v589-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

Instead of the familiar downhill slope of the Skyway, and the flat, winding causeway that would carry him to the other side of Tampa Bay, MacIntire saw the black broadside of a massive ship, the words SUMMIT VENTURE painted in white letters along its bow.

I hit my brakes, but I guess the truck wasn’t even on the bridge any more. I was in the air, probably. And the only thing I remember is saying “Oh God!,” and I felt a thud, which I believe, or thought maybe I hit … it bounced off the ship or something. After that, I just remember sinking in the water.

The 56-year-old had been trained as a swimmer in the Navy – before there were things called SEALs – and it all came back to him as he found himself inside a broken vehicle filling quickly with water, on the muddy bottom of the shipping channel.

It was probably no more than two minutes, but it seemed like an eternity, as he bent the buckled frame of the driver’s seat door, squeezed himself out and swam as hard as he could for the weak rays of sunlight at the surface. He exploded from the water, vomited and dogpaddled.

Wes MacIntire understood what had happened to him, even as his brain struggled to make sense of it. He grabbed hold of a section of silver steel protruding from the water, looked up and noticed a large yellow sedan, 150 feet up and stopped awkwardly at the very edge of the jagged bridge.

“I guess,” he thought to himself, “I’m the only fool who went in the water.” Still, he looked around for heads bobbing in the choppy water, someone, anyone he could rescue.

He was fished out by Summit Venture crew members. They threw him a rope ladder, which he wrapped himself in, and they hauled him up the side of the ship like a prize catch. Aside from a nasty gash over his right eye, and salt water in his lungs, Wes MacIntire was undamaged. Physically.

He was not the only person who went in the water. He was the first of 36. And all the others were dead.

[Linked Image from 4feo872yrq891mrmgs21v589-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]From the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office accident report: The final positions of the fallen vehicles. Summit Venture struck Pier 2S, at right. The location of McIntire’s pickup – No. 8 – indicates that he was on the descending slope of the southbound bridge at the time of the collision.

Wesley's survived but he was never the same man.
He was awarded $175,000.00, after his attorney fees and hospital bills were paid he came out of it with $75K.

He suffered 'Survivors Guilt' and it truly changed his life.
If that interests you, the rest of his story can be read here. <<click

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Jeff and all, thanks for posting. Really interesting stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JeffA
Belle Brezing

[Linked Image from recollections.biz]

Belle Brezing was dealt a bad hand in life and did her best to survive when faced with a dire situation and virtually no prospects or opportunities. It is a complicated and fascinating story, and I will just cover a few main points here. 

Belle born in 1860 in Lexington, Kentucky, to Sarah Ann Cox, a mother down on her luck. Sarah soon married a man by the name of George Brezing, who appears to have been an abusive alcoholic who eventually ran out on the family. To make ends meet Sarah worked part-time as a dressmaker and part-time as a prostitute. 

As a teen, Belle was involved in a complicated love triangle that left one man dead, one man on the run, Belle pregnant, and all dissatisfied. After Belle delivered the baby, she continued to live with her mother, despite having married the father. However, Sarah passed away just months later and the landlord immediately took over the home. This is when Belle decided to enter the sex industry. She soared to the top of the local market, even working in a brothel housed in one of Mary Todd Lincoln’s former houses. Soon, she would be known as one of the most famous Madams of the Wild West.

When Belle decided to venture out on her own she has built a loyal clientele who provided business as well and investments into her various brothels. She owned several different houses of ill refute over the years, becoming known as having “the most orderly of the disorderly houses.”

Belle was said to let her employees keep most of their earnings and that she made her money with the liquor she sold at her establishments, particularly the best champagne she could get her hands on. She continued to operate in Kentucky until Prohibition forced her to close down. She remained living in the house of her last brothel, sadly becoming addicted to morphine and inflicted with uterine cancer (the two ailments likely related to one another). 

In her good days, Belle was known as the classic lady of the night with a heart of gold, contributing to local charities. This reputation was so strong that it is believed she inspired the character of Belle Watling in Gone With the Wind, though Margaret Mitchell denied it. 

actually, being a prostitute, her uterine cancer most likely resulted from Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) or some other STD.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Main Street Bozeman, Montana Territory 1870. Walter Cooper's Shop on the left. He moved across the street in 1872. The second picture is a display with 3 of his rifles...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Belle Brezing

[Linked Image from recollections.biz]

Belle Brezing was dealt a bad hand in life and did her best to survive when faced with a dire situation and virtually no prospects or opportunities. It is a complicated and fascinating story, and I will just cover a few main points here. 

Belle born in 1860 in Lexington, Kentucky, to Sarah Ann Cox, a mother down on her luck. Sarah soon married a man by the name of George Brezing, who appears to have been an abusive alcoholic who eventually ran out on the family. To make ends meet Sarah worked part-time as a dressmaker and part-time as a prostitute. 

As a teen, Belle was involved in a complicated love triangle that left one man dead, one man on the run, Belle pregnant, and all dissatisfied. After Belle delivered the baby, she continued to live with her mother, despite having married the father. However, Sarah passed away just months later and the landlord immediately took over the home. This is when Belle decided to enter the sex industry. She soared to the top of the local market, even working in a brothel housed in one of Mary Todd Lincoln’s former houses. Soon, she would be known as one of the most famous Madams of the Wild West.

When Belle decided to venture out on her own she has built a loyal clientele who provided business as well and investments into her various brothels. She owned several different houses of ill refute over the years, becoming known as having “the most orderly of the disorderly houses.”

Belle was said to let her employees keep most of their earnings and that she made her money with the liquor she sold at her establishments, particularly the best champagne she could get her hands on. She continued to operate in Kentucky until Prohibition forced her to close down. She remained living in the house of her last brothel, sadly becoming addicted to morphine and inflicted with uterine cancer (the two ailments likely related to one another). 

In her good days, Belle was known as the classic lady of the night with a heart of gold, contributing to local charities. This reputation was so strong that it is believed she inspired the character of Belle Watling in Gone With the Wind, though Margaret Mitchell denied it. 

actually, being a prostitute, her uterine cancer most likely resulted from Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) or some other STD.

True but I believe the relationship between the two, the morphine addiction and the uterine cancer, was not that the morphine caused the cancer but rather the cancer caused the addiction. Whatever issues the cancer caused were likely dealt with by using morphine.

PS….cool thread with a lot of cool pictures. 👍

Last edited by AcesNeights; 07/02/22.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Main Street Bozeman, Montana Territory 1870. Walter Cooper's Shop on the left. He moved across the street in 1872. The second picture is a display with 3 of his rifles...

I wonder what they'd have been hauling in those double wagons?

They look to be buttoned up pretty tight and it was a interesting enough sight at the time that someone went to the trouble to get a photograph of the sight and it's been saved.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miner's and Merchant's Bank. Nome. Alaska. June 10. 1906.
Stack of gold bricks and buckets with gold.
$1,025,000 1906 value.

[Linked Image from vilda.alaska.edu]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
15 days' clean up by the Gold Run (Klondyke) Mining Co.(Yukon)
1900ish
Two men, one holding a pistol, sit on porch steps with their thirteen sacks of gold between them; handwritten notation identifies man on left as "Chief Willis"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actual size of Alaska's largest nugget found by Pioneer Mining Co. on No. 5 Bench off Discovery Anvil,
wgt. 182 oz., value $3276.-1903-09-08

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yaney-Maden & Co. Saloon & Lodging; The Red Onion, ca. 1898
Signs advertise various services and amenities: Lunch Counter, Beds, Bunks, Cots, Beer, and "Bread for Sale"; also, "Outfits Bought"; men with pack horses and mules in front of building [in Skagway?]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dog team hauls a sled filled with ice blocks down middle of street; businesses shown include a laundry, a saloon, a barbershop, Mrs. McDonald Fancy Dress Making and Ladies' Tailoring, Dr. J. L. Benson (Dentist), Dr. Hurdman, and Dr. Good; sign in foreground advertises new tents.

Front St., Dawson, Y.T.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Men cross flooded street on planks; numerous people walk boardwalks in front of businesses, which include Montreal Hotel and Saloon and a bakery.

Second Ave., Dawson, Y.T., 1899

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trail leads through mining camp with log buildings, tents, and services; one building advertises "Saloon and Lodging"
1900ish, Dyea Trail (Alaska)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gold miner with white beard holds gold pan next to rocker box; a flume crosses image in background. 1900ish

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cannery ship entering Southwest Alaskas Bristol Bay, 1900(+/-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Salmon boats off Clarks Cannery, Nushagak, Alaska.
tall-masted ships in distance 1900(+/-)

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,270
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.