-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While this certainly ain’t no .45, it does show the kind of resolution which can be expected from a 3 MOA red dot at 50 yards. At that distance, the red dot appears to fit within the bull of the NRA B-16 target, leaving a halo of black, consisting of the 7 ring, surrounding the red dot and making for a very consistent hold.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For precision shooting, a 3 MOA dot does seem just about right - not too big and not too small.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
I am putting together a 45 LC on a Stainless Blackhawk. Was considering a 3 MOA reflex sight.

Comments, recommendations, thoughts?

I think a Blackhawk chambered in 45LC with a reflex sight would be the bees knees for shooting schit out to 100yds.

Why do you consider a 3MOA size dot?

What your budget?

It is a pretty good setup.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is .45 Colt Cowboy Special ammo, using 200 grain LSWCs at 925 FPS. 5 shot groups at 25 yards.
Mackay define this set up/mount. I am looking to put on my 4 5/8” Flattop SS 44 spl

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 3 MOA Venom on my Buckmark that is perfect for small game.
6 MOA is way to big for hunting IMHO.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 3 MOA FF III on my 686. Love it, has given me a new lease on life as shooting handguns with open sights is extremely difficult for my eyes anymore. I have shot paint spots on rocks out to 100yards with impressive results. Highly recommended. Looks a little weird on a revolver until you get used to it, but oh well - it works.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
CONGRATULATIONS 🎈

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by centershot
I have a 3 MOA FF III on my 686. Love it, has given me a new lease on life as shooting handguns with open sights is extremely difficult for my eyes anymore. I have shot paint spots on rocks out to 100yards with impressive results. Highly recommended. Looks a little weird on a revolver until you get used to it, but oh well - it works.

What I've found also - I really struggle with open sights and 61 yr old eyes. Optics have made all the difference in the world for me - I currently have 2 RMR's, 3 Holosuns and 1 Fastfire, all with 3 - 3.25 MOA dots. I don't think I'd want bigger dots, but then haven't tried them...

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
I am putting together a 45 LC on a Stainless Blackhawk. Was considering a 3 MOA reflex sight.

Comments, recommendations, thoughts?

I think a Blackhawk chambered in 45LC with a reflex sight would be the bees knees for shooting schit out to 100yds.

Why do you consider a 3MOA size dot?

What your budget?

It is a pretty good setup.

This is .45 Colt Cowboy Special ammo, using 200 grain LSWCs at 925 FPS. 5 shot groups at 25 yards.
Mackay define this set up/mount. I am looking to put on my 4 5/8” Flattop SS 44 spl

It is a Jack Weigand brand weigatinny mount.

The RDO is a Burris Fastfire.

It works great for its purpose.

If I was buying a new RDO today I would opt for either a Trijicon RMR or Holosun, depending on budget and use. I have an RMR on a carry Glock and it is excellent in all regards.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have lost zero on both the china-garbage holosun, and a fastfire 3.

Though accuracy is outstanding, there are some major disadvantages to the cheap reflex sights, which has me going back to tritium open sights:

Running dog teams all winter and breaking trail through thick woods, any sort of dust or debris from cutting brush, will block the open emittor. Never nice pulling out a handgun when charged by a winter moose, only to realize you have no sights.

A dust shield is bulky and stupid. A cheap band aid at best.

The mini aimpoint is a closed system, which is a superior design in harsh environments. The emmitor is internal, protected by lenses on both ends of the red dot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a quick chance to sling lead before getting ready for work today. Springfield XDS mod2 osp 9mm, Holosun HE507K-GR-X2 Compact, from a Desantis 019 E1 mini scabbard holster, 7 yards, 7.97 seconds. Not my best, but loving the Holosun sight so far! Especially the “shake awake” feature.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by centershot

Centershot,

Who makes the mount on your 686?

Thank you

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got it from https://allchingunparts.com/products/smith-wesson-mini-sts-scope-mount.html A little spendy but a nice mount that seats firmly and stays put. Just moved it over to my new 686 Plus 7" 357 Mag. Continually amazed by the accuracy of a handgun with a good red dot sight.

Last edited by centershot; 07/14/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks CS.

It was toss up of which mount to use because I already had a Weigand mini on a GP100 with a Holosun 507k.

I chose to go with the Allchin for my S&W Model 69 and Holosun 507c primarily because it offered the lowest mounting option.

However, just yesterday, I had a chance to shoot the M69 combo and unfortunately the RDO would not zero at 25 yards. It shot way high and the RDO ran out of down adjustment.

I do not have a problem with the GP100/Weigand/507k combo. The GP100/Weigand did require the use of picatinny rail mount adapter thus the RDO sits higher.

I don't know where to go next solve my problem. Perhaps there is a adjustment difference between the two RDO's? Or perhaps the picatinny rail mount used on the GP100?

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up another Ultra Dot Matchdot II , 30mm tube with 1,2,4,6,8 MOA dot adjustment. They are in the $250-$300 range at Midway.
I have one of the UltraDot Gen 2 that is only 2 MOA dot on my Ruger Blackhawk Hunter in 45LC. It is great out to 100 yds and farther if you shoot it some. I have it off of the pistol right now getting another Weigand mount for it.
I have Holosun's on my Glock 20 ,10mm and my Glock 43 , 9mm. Love them. At 69 I have to use them for precision shooting and use the little stickers that go on my shooting glasses with the hole in them.
Good luck.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.