Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Could the lawyers involved get disbarred? That would slow this crap way down.
The bottom line is the SCOTUS has no means to ENFORCE their ruling if the other branches of government decide to ignore it, which is basically what's happening.

I went from having a NYS CCL that was good almost anywhere I cared to go, to now having almost nowhere I can legally carry thanks to this decision and the backlash by the Bolsheviks. Can you tell I'm a little pissed today?

I applied and received my NYS pistol permit in 1983 at the age of 22. Full carry with the same limited places (schools, government buildings etc) to carry it. I can't believe what they've done to us with this bullshit.

Never have I even thought about moving to another state until now.....we'll see.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If anybody needs to be cancelled, it's this bitch..

These communists are out of their fugking minds.

"New Yorkers will need to provide information about their current partner or spouse and any adults or minors living with them.

The names of four people will also be required for reference checks to determine the applicant’s “moral character” and if there are any red flags that suggest they might be a harm to themselves or others.

The law requires that firearm permit seekers also complete 16 hours of firearm safety training and hand over information about their social media accounts for the last three years which will be used “to confirm … character and conduct.

Link to NY Governor Hochul story

By Caden Pearson July 2, 2022

New York Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul on Friday signed legislation into law to limit the use of concealed carry guns in “sensitive locations” such as schools and places of worship in response to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

Hochul called lawmakers to Albany for an extraordinary session of the state legislature this week to change gun laws after the Supreme Court struck down a 100-year-old state law that required applicants for conceal carry gun permits to show “proper cause.”

The state law was deemed unconstitutional because the state and licensing officers had too much discretion in approving permit applicants.

“I just signed a new law to keep New Yorkers safe—even in the face of a monumental setback from the Supreme Court,” Hochul wrote on Twitter Friday, thanking lawmakers for their “quick work” to pass the reforms.

But New York Republicans disagreed that the bill is about protecting New Yorkers.

“This is NOT a public safety bill under debate in Albany’s ‘extraordinary’ session,” the New York Senate GOP declared on Twitter. “This is a callous, vengeful bill meant to put law-abiding New Yorkers in their ‘rightful place.'”

With a Democrat-controlled state legislature, the bill moved quickly through both chambers, with lawmakers deliberating on Thursday before it went to a vote on Friday.

The state Senate passed the bill (pdf) 43-20 in a party-line vote on Friday before the Assembly passed it later that night.

New Rules
In addition to other requirements, people applying for a firearms permit will need to hand over to licensing officers personal information about their home life and social media activity.

New Yorkers will need to provide information about their current partner or spouse and any adults or minors living with them.

The names of four people will also be required for reference checks to determine the applicant’s “moral character” and if there are any red flags that suggest they might be a harm to themselves or others.

The law requires that firearm permit seekers also complete 16 hours of firearm safety training and hand over information about their social media accounts for the last three years which will be used “to confirm … character and conduct.”

Some of the other requirements under the new law means firearm permit holders will undergo regular checks for criminal convictions. A state-wide license and ammunition database will also be created.

Concealed carry will also be prohibited at government buildings, places of worship, libraries, playgrounds, public parks, schools, and a number of other locations which have often been the location of mass shootings.

Anyone who violates the law at sensitive locations faces criminal penalties.

Constitutional Freedoms ‘Trampled’: NY GOP

New York GOP Chair Nick Langworthy decried the law, saying that “New Yorkers’ constitutional freedoms were just trampled on by Kathy Hochul and her pawns in the legislature.”

“This bill is a political charade that makes New Yorkers less safe. Only under the insanity of New York Democrats can you get out of jail free for possessing an illegal firearm, but be targeted by the government for being a law-abiding citizen exercising your constitutional rights,” Langworthy said in a statement.

The law comes into effect on Sept. 1, and anyone denied a permit will be able to appeal from April 1, 2023.

It could have taken many years for "sensitive places" to be defined by the Suoreme Court.

Now we will not have to wait as long.

Last edited by plumbum; 07/03/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why don't they just pass a law making it illegal to shoot people in NOO YAWK? I'm sure the gangbangers, street thugs, and Mafia good fellas will immediately switch to knives, brickbats, and Louisville Sluggers when they want to kill somebody! If the firearms manufacturers had any balls, they would stop doing business with every police force in the state, like Ronnie Barrett did with California. He even refused to return some of the police rifles he had on hand for repair, saying it was illegal for him to ship them back!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The new law will be struck down by SCOTUS on the same grounds as the original law was. Even based on the Heller decision, the new law places an undue burden on the individual citizen’s 2A right to keep and bear arms.

Basically Hochul’s sham law requires a reason for the permit to be issued which was the reason SCOTUS decided against NY a few days ago.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
NY. Stop trying to Figure them Out .. Their All Anal ..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
The new law will be struck down by SCOTUS on the same grounds as the original law was. Even based on the Heller decision, the new law places an undue burden on the individual citizen’s 2A right to keep and bear arms.

Basically Hochul’s sham law requires a reason for the permit to be issued which was the reason SCOTUS decided against NY a few days ago.

Someone will have to challenge New York's law and the outcome will be as you described. The challenger will be inconvenienced at the least and it will be expensive. Without consequences for those who passed this new law the circle will just continue.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
These [bleep] should have to pay legal costs for challenges to their unconstitutional bullshit out of their own pockets.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Even when the Supreme Court interprets the constitution right states and the federal Government ran by democrats ignore it. There is no provision for enforcement.

Last edited by rainshot; 07/03/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The first thing the new veto-proof majority in both houses of congress need to do as soon as they're sworn in is vote to cut off all federal funding to any state or city that ignores a SCOTUS ruling. Let these rogue governors and mayors paddle their own financial boat!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 45_100
Someone will have to challenge New York's law and the outcome will be as you described. The challenger will be inconvenienced at the least and it will be expensive. .
And when they win, NY will just pass another BS law and it starts all over again...and again, and again, ad nauseum..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NYC dictates NY law. I don't think many posters here understand what kind of "crap" infests NYC.

Shumer, Nadler, ,Cortez and a thief named DeBlasio whose wife started a program and absconded with almost a billion dollars which is unaccounted for.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 07/04/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
NYC dictates NY law. I don't think many posters here understand what kind of "crap" infests NYC.

Shumer, Nadler, ,Cortez and a thief named DeBlasio whose wife started a program and absconded with almost a billion dollars which is unaccounted for.

yep....send more money to Lapierre

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 257Bob, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 204guy, 58 invisible), 14,867 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,143
Posts18,542,499
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.