Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Sweetheart,

They are your deeply rooted Phobias and as plainly cited,others don't even shrug shoulders. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Hell...you can't even punctuate for yourself and that's REAL scary for you. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

The simple fact remains, you’ll only watch cape buff killin via YouTube, you “lucky” cuunt!!! Haha

Do you play “halo” to, with your Rambo knife strapped to your side??? Haha

PS, you just need to stop liar Larry 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Big slouch, perhaps you can get your cabelas game goin again, you can be hunter Dan??? Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Teal
No sir - no buff pics.

I have a weird relationship with Africa. I like the lore, love the rifles and will spend time watching the hunts on youtube but I have no desire to actually go.

No desire to really shoot anything over there - my bloodlust for any critter has waned a lot lately. I'm not big on guided hunts and the like because just sluicing some thing and hanging a head - meh, just doesn't make my socks move. I'm big on any deer I shoot off our property or out of our UP deer camp and I always felt pride in ducks and geese I shot on the bay but to say, go to Kansas and shoot a large white tail - just not all that important to me. Non-trophy hunter, I'm comfortable with my penis size, don't need to BS people about "Got 3 150 class and a 170 class buck" WGAF that matters? So no - I've never shot a trophy anything. I'm ok with it. Oddly enough - it's usually other people that take issue. I have done "semi-guided" bear hunts in Canada as a youth which were a blast but BTDT so unlikely to repeat.

The closest I come to a real desire but not enough to spend the money would be an Alaskan hunt of some sort - mostly just to experience the country/landscape.

I'm happy doing what I do now - deer hunt the UP, hope to find a duck hunting opportunity here and there and do some grouse hunting now and continue to support various conservation groups. My son is 22 - grandchildren are likely in the next couple years, I just want to spend time outside with all involved, bloody hands don't matter to me - want others successful.

I've said it often - I don't care if I never shoot another deer in my life but I better be able to go deer hunting every year.

Well stated, Teal. I'm there and can hardly bring myself pop a quail or two for a meal anymore, but I love hunting them with my dogs along, acting goofy-excited. I got to hunt northern Canada, but I never made it to Alaska for a hunt. It's one of my big regerts. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Stick to what you know- Alaska. You have some credibility there. Not like Phil by a long shot.
Africa? - you couldn’t find it on a map.

Hint- ur phoucing retard act don’t work here darling. Just sayin dumb qhunt. #midget

I see one of the Bizarro World Midas twins has polluted this thread and quickly turned it into a pile of excrement.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WhoreHey,

You needn't reiterate that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Dumbfhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,as you yet again forget about your "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Be sure to keep fueling your "SCARY!" Cow Phobia(s),if only because of how desperately you NEED the delusions. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by hatari
Stick to what you know- Alaska. You have some credibility there. Not like Phil by a long shot.
Africa? - you couldn’t find it on a map.

Hint- ur phoucing retard act don’t work here darling. Just sayin dumb qhunt. #midget

I see one of the Bizarro World Midas twins has polluted this thread and quickly turned it into a pile of excrement.

Must admit, of our resident Class Clowns, this one will make me laugh from time to time and actually does shoot and hunt. Now, if he’d just learn English……😂

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, what an interesting turn this thread has taken. Hardly surprising...

I saw the aftermath of a buff attack in 97 while chasing one in the Klaserie. A buff suffering a serious infection after a lion attack launched himself off of a dry riverbank on to a game guard who didn't stand a chance. Wrong place, wrong time. Welcome to Africa.

While Buff can take some serious punishment, if everything goes right, it is simple enough to kill. Unfortunately, the likes of Mark Sullivan and others have glorified and exaggerated the hunt to an extent that many clients are needlessly $hit scared of them.

For the record, I've seen more PHs wounded by "dead" Impala and Gemsbuck than Buff. But I don't want to go chasing a wounded buff in the reeds either. That's just asking for a free trip to the hospital... or worse.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm just surprised that Little Stick hasn't recommended his high b.c. match bullets for hunting Cape buffalo...yet.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who cares what he thinks. He is best served on ignore.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Wow, what an interesting turn this thread has taken. Hardly surprising...

I saw the aftermath of a buff attack in 97 while chasing one in the Klaserie. A buff suffering a serious infection after a lion attack launched himself off of a dry riverbank on to a game guard who didn't stand a chance. Wrong place, wrong time. Welcome to Africa.

While Buff can take some serious punishment, if everything goes right, it is simple enough to kill. Unfortunately, the likes of Mark Sullivan and others have glorified and exaggerated the hunt to an extent that many clients are needlessly $hit scared of them.

For the record, I've seen more PHs wounded by "dead" Impala and Gemsbuck than Buff. But I don't want to go chasing a wounded buff in the reeds either. That's just asking for a free trip to the hospital... or worse.

Gemsbuck are tough baztrds and know how to fight. There have been many lion carcasses found impaled on horns of gemsbuck carcasses.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
50 is too young to go. My condolences to the man that lost his life to the Buffalo. They are a tough animal and one to be respected.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
In keeping with the buffalo theme….I copied this from Africa Hunting. He is alive.

Last Tuesday Leon DuPlessis of Save Safaris was injured by a cape buffalo.

The exact words from Stephanie, his daughter, are as follows:
Tuesday late afternoon he was following a wounded buffalo into thick brush which charged. The first shot did not put it down and it kept coming, catching Leon in the side lifting him in the air then dropping him. He was trapped underneath the buff holding onto its horns.

At this point his tracker Stanford pulled the client into position to shoot the buffalo. The client shot and the buffalo fell on top of Dup but was still very much alive and trying to gore him. Hisa two trackers Stanford and Mazonde bravely pulled the buffalo off him, putting themselves in danger as it was trying to gore them as well and dragged Dup to safety as the client finished it off.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Exciting times.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AB2506
I once shot a mule deer at close range several times. It would not go down. It was in heavy bush and I believed it was wounded by my friend. I wanted to end the chase then and there, so I shot till it dropped. Branches were flying all over, but the deer was hit each time, just not necessarily where I was aiming.

Game sometimes cling to life where by all indicators they should be dead.
Sometimes a good hit on a major artery will cause instant massive internal bleeding. That can throw them into shock. They're dead but don't know it. The blood pressure plummets and the brain shuts down but they just stand there until completely bled out inside. I once shot an elk 4 times in the ribs. The lungs and heart were mush and the far shoulder was broken but it just stood there for a while then slowly sank. All 4 shots were killers.

That said, an animal in shock goes nowhere. A buffalo that's running and charging is NOT in shock, not even close.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
50 is too young to go. My condolences to the man that lost his life to the Buffalo. They are a tough animal and one to be respected.

Bb

^^ THIS ^^ RIP

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wasn't it Leon's father who was killed by a buff long ago?
It is very important to have a rifle that shoots well,IMO that way you can prevent wounding one and have a good chance of stopping one in a charge.
I remember one I shot in Makuti,Zimbabwe in 2010.I used a camp rifle, a Ruger which was a very good rifle but the ammo they had on hand was a mix of cheap reloads and a few good Hornady factory.My first shot with the Hornady solid lunged him and he was unable to climb the hill to get away.As he stood there I put about three more shots into him with the cheap reloads but all ended up much higher on his shoulder.After a short while he went down and as we approached I [bleep] it-he looked as menacing as a monster-and was my best trophy too date-really strong.If he charged I don't know where my bullets would hit and if they had the power to penetrate.That said, a couple of double rifles I have are unreliable and shoot a foot wide here and there but sometimes shoot OK.I would not feel confident hunting DG with those even though I have.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/10/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shortly before this discussion degraded beyond my interest and tolerance, I had planned to make a constructive comment as follows:

Somewhere I had read that no 4 legged game can walk or run if either the shoulders or pelvis are shattered. The wounded animal may be able to crawl, but not run to either charge or escape. This has been repeated in many hunting stories. So, as part of my preparation for my first Cape Buffalo hunt, a part of my practice was locating these two bony structures and pulverizing them with a 400 grain Woodleigh solid BEFORE firing my first shot at the Buff target.

As it happened in RSA, my DG PH and trackers led us to the rear of a small group of buff and to within 25 yards of the last of the group. As the PH set up the sticks, I
saw that only the pelvis would be visible after my first shot as the buff was grazing almost directly away from me towards some thick cover. My shot placed a 400 grain Woodie just behind the rearmost left rib and the buff responded with a rearward kick of the left hind foot and began to slowly walk away. My next shot shattered the pelvis
and brought my buff down with a loud crash that shook the ground.
It turned out that my first shot had gone through the heart and though lethal, was not enough to drop the critter to the ground.

My practice and visualization of the pelvis shot made it automatic and easy.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
On the same hunt in Makuti,on a beautiful morning amongst those beautiful hills we spotted a small herd of buff from the truck.One was nice with huge bosses.After a short stalk we saw them at rest at the bottom of the hill about a couple of hundred yds away.With the open sight Ruger I took careful aim and put a solid right on his spine and he dropped.As we approached he tried to get up and charge but went back down.I then put in a finishing shot.I am starting to miss Africa.I need to get back and find myself again.I will probably attend the next DSC convention and book a hunt for a future date.

Last edited by swiftshot; 08/10/22.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by crshelton
Shortly before this discussion degraded beyond my interest and tolerance, I had planned to make a constructive comment as follows:

Somewhere I had read that no 4 legged game can walk or run if either the shoulders or pelvis are shattered. The wounded animal may be able to crawl, but not run to either charge or escape. This has been repeated in many hunting stories. So, as part of my preparation for my first Cape Buffalo hunt, a part of my practice was locating these two bony structures and pulverizing them with a 400 grain Woodleigh solid BEFORE firing my first shot at the Buff target.

As it happened in RSA, my DG PH and trackers led us to the rear of a small group of buff and to within 25 yards of the last of the group. As the PH set up the sticks, I
saw that only the pelvis would be visible after my first shot as the buff was grazing almost directly away from me towards some thick cover. My shot placed a 400 grain Woodie just behind the rearmost left rib and the buff responded with a rearward kick of the left hind foot and began to slowly walk away. My next shot shattered the pelvis
and brought my buff down with a loud crash that shook the ground.
It turned out that my first shot had gone through the heart and though lethal, was not enough to drop the critter to the ground.

Interesting observation, and I'm glad your process worked as expected! The late, great Bob Hagen was an advocate of pelvis shots on elk ("Shoot at the root of the tail," as he put it) and other large ungulates, and others have said the same. I believe Boddington touches on it in his buffalo book, but barely. Other than that, I can't recall any buffalo hunting authority advocating pelvis shots.

I've only tried a pelvis shot on a couple of critters in my whole life, one of which happened to be a Cape buffalo (it was my 3rd shot, he was walking away after taking 2 fatal shots in the heart and lungs). I also happened to miss the bony pelvis on that buff, so the animal did not instantly collapse as he was supposed to.

The funny thing about game animals, DG or otherwise, is that what you visualize as the relevant target anatomy may not be reality. What you think is a solid shot into the pelvis may miss bone entirely, depending on angle etc, and in reality be only a low belly shot. I run into this a lot when I review LE shootings of bad guys, and the postmortem exam and/or autopsy reports afterward. But cops aren't anything like as familiar with anatomy as hunters are, and PH's should be.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
crshelton,

Good to know you're so good at "pelvis shots."

Here's one that wasn't quite precise enough, made by a guy who was very good shot:

[Linked Image]

This one wasn't quite precise enough to keep the bull from going half-a-mile, and taking a total of 11 "premium" bullets from a .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450 Express before the buffalo decided to die.

I have used pelvis shots in certain circumstances, and also seen others try them--including one of my very experienced PH's, who'd seen my first shot on a Botswana bull went into the right spot in the bull's chest. But he hoped to stop the bull before it got into some nearby tall grass--and both 500-grain solids from his .458 Winchester didn't quite hit bone. This didn't matter, because the bull fell within maybe 60 yards after my initial shot with a .375 H&H and a 300-grain Fail Safe bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.