Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, I haven't.

In fact have found that type of die (which also includes the basic Lee Loader) usually results in very concentric seating--and neck-pull--IF the necks are either sorted or turned for uniform thickness.

In fact, around 15 years ago I decided to try a Lee Loader again, after not having used one for many years. (Started both rifle and shotgun handloading with them as a 13-year-old.) Noticed they made them in .22 Hornet, and since I had a very accurate Ruger No. 1B Hornet, ordered one.

That rifle would average well under an inch for 5-shot groups at 100 yards, but with the Lee Loader it would put 5 under half an inch. In fact, the last group I shot during the test not only measured .43 at 100, but four of 'em went into .18!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, John. I typed "concentricity" but meant to type "run-out." In any event, you answered the question I intended to ask. crazy

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
There are too many good bullets around to mess with something that defies logic.
I have been using `154gn Hornady's for years to form cases for a 280AI simply because it and my other 7mm rifles either side of that velocity range, will not shoot them well. This points a finger at the bullet more than the rifles in this particular case, with this particular batch of bullets.

When you have a rifle that shoots sub MOA with some reliability, it makes it harder to accept a 2+ inch group from the same rifle. Some times it is bullet defects such as weight variation, caliber variation or being under sized for the caliber, internal issues or what ever. Powder variation less so as I have seen bench rest shooters tweak powder charges using a powder thrower at the bench not bothering to record the charge until they find one they like. The accuracy levels they seek are beyond usual factory rifles and shooter ability, indicating that to some degree, powder charge variation is not the primary culprit.

Now, changing a primer can make a difference. Not every time and not with every bullet and cartridge combo, but often enough to take it seriously. I often change primers when developing loads to determine favoritism from the rifle.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rev Mike,

when I find a bullet that just doesn't like to shoot the only fix I have found is seat the bullet as deep as possible. IMO some bullets throat combos do not match up well however a long jump can sort that out sometimes.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming all your loading steps & parameters are done correctly, I'm past the point of wasting a lot of time on finicky rifles.................it will have to be something very, very special in order to make me want to keep it if it is.

Over the years, I now want a rifle that's not very finicky & will generally shoot most (good) bullets & powder combinations well.

I generally start load work with NBT's, as in most calibers & weights, they generally are reliable for beginning load testing.

YMMV

MM

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Once again, thanks for all the comments. They're helpful.

With respect to concentricity and the impact that inconsistent neck thickness has on it, I know that this is one of the reasons necks are often turned, especially when using a bushing neck sizing die. I'm wondering if using a Lee collet die, which would push the variation to the outside of the neck instead of the inside, eliminates both the need to turn the necks as well as any inconsistencies in concentricity resulting from inconsistencies in neck thickness (and thereby minimizing run-out). What do you think? I know Mathman is a big fan of the collet die.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've found Lee collet dies do help bullet concentricity somewhat when loading brass with inconsistent neck thickness--but inconsistent neck thickness still results in somewhat inconsistent neck-pull during firing. Which is why I tend to buy brass with consistent necks, no matter what sizing die I'm using.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Lee collet die is in my experience very good for assembling straight cartridges with less than perfect brass. But, like John says, that won't eliminate irregularities in the way sub optimal brass lets go of the bullets. It is better than being crooked on top of it however.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a Tikka 25-06 for the wife about 6-8 years ago and worked up some Nosler Ballistic tips in it. It would shoot 5 shot groups that a dime would cover consistently. Then we got a lease that was so thick if the deer did not drop in his tracks , you stood a very good chance of not finding him. No exit hole so very poor blood trail so I decided to try some Nosler Partitions, knowing she would get an entrance and an exit with a good blood trail. After about 200 loads with 2 different weight partitons, 3 different powders, different seating depths and even different primers I gave up trying the Partitions. I even packaged up what I had left and mailed them to Montana. Daniel

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman
The Lee collet die is in my experience very good for assembling straight cartridges with less than perfect brass. But, like John says, that won't eliminate irregularities in the way sub optimal brass lets go of the bullets. It is better than being crooked on top of it however.

Yep!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,368
Posts18,506,502
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.