-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fresh from a stream in the Sierras or high mountains of your choice, 6"-8" long, gutted, heads on, shaken in a bag with bisquick and seasonings, fried in leftover bacon grease or if not enough grease to fry, spread some on some foil and wrap the fish and put it in the coals.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really don't care for trout. As a kid, I ate tons of them. Best way in my opinion is to roll them in flour, salt+pepper, fry in butter.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh my goodness.....a fish that tastes like fish?

How terrible!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Catch and release, too many small bones for me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just out of the water. Gutted, salt and lemon pepper in cavity.
Skewered on willow and cooked over a small wood fire.

Agree with others that trout don't seem to refrigerate or freeze well and brookies are much better than bows or browns.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We call them mountain carp, they are for tourists and never kept. The few I have eaten years ago were seasoned and fried in oil. Lemon pepper, garlic, salt you name it, doesn't really matter. Roll them in flour or pancake mix then fry.

I've had them out of a mountain stream, and they are still underwhelming. Trout must taste better to some when they are really hungry or exhausted on a camping or hiking trip.
About the only way I've found to make them palatable is to smoke them which is hard to do right to get all the bones to release together and slip out. I've smoked it then canned it to see if that helped. It didn't. They aren't gross tasting per se, but they aren't good either. Good luck

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Fresh from a stream in the Sierras or high mountains of your choice, 6"-8" long, gutted, heads on, shaken in a bag with bisquick and seasonings, fried in leftover bacon grease or if not enough grease to fry, spread some on some foil and wrap the fish and put it in the coals.

Ernest Hemingway approves this message......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If at home, and not stream side, trout almondine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly this except I like cut 50/50 with corn meal.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
We call them mountain carp, they are for tourists and never kept. The few I have eaten years ago were seasoned and fried in oil. Lemon pepper, garlic, salt you name it, doesn't really matter. Roll them in flour or pancake mix then fry.

I've had them out of a mountain stream, and they are still underwhelming. Trout must taste better to some when they are really hungry or exhausted on a camping or hiking trip.
About the only way I've found to make them palatable is to smoke them which is hard to do right to get all the bones to release together and slip out. I've smoked it then canned it to see if that helped. It didn't. They aren't gross tasting per se, but they aren't good either. Good luck

Let me guess: rainbow trout, 10-11" long, from a stream that's stocked regularly? Just about every stocker I've eaten has tasted muddy, which is not surprising because they eat Purina Trout Chow.

Wild trout are a different animal altogether.

Best recipe I've had was cooked in foil in the campfire coals. We didn't have butter or oil so we wrapped them in thin sliced salami, which cooked up real crisp and was delicious. These were wild cutthroats out of a mountain lake.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Morewood
I love to eat trout when I'm starving to death.

Not even then.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Damn tough crowd here.

Ended up pan frying after rolling in some flour and seasoning. Used bacon grease to fry.

They were really good. Not walleye or winter perch good. But tasted really good.Came out of a lake up by YNP yesterday so water is still pretty cold there

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I used to release all of them to get bigger except for a few 5# browns to mount. Now the native brookies around me have a problem, they are absolutely delicious compared to the browns. I leave the head and fins on unless they don’t fit in the pan. I love eating the fins like little chips. As far as cooking them, flour salt pepper fried in butter maybe some lemon at the table. My favorite fish to eat hands down. I’d trade ten walleyes for a fresh brookie.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Used to catch a lot of trout in mountain lakes on backpacking trips. Salt and pepper, butter if you have it, wrapped in foil on the fire was always good. I've grilled some out of the local reservoirs here and they seem to be strong flavored so usually smoke them anymore. I did one of the locally caught ones with S&P, butter, sliced red onion and lime slices wrapped in foil in the oven. I thought that combo turned out better than any I can remember. I've pan fried a bunch in the past as well but that doesn't appeal to me as much these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since they are filleted, blackened, Cajun style.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

How terrible!
Not only that, they have BONES in them too!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Exactly this except I like cut 50/50 with corn meal.

We didn't bring the extra weight of cornmeal on 9 day backpacking trips. Bisquick was used for dumplings on top of Mountain House stews, pancakes to go with the DAK canned bacon (used the empty can to store the bacon grease in for later cooking of the trout) and biscuits of course.

At home, cornmeal makes for a nice touch though.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

How terrible!
Not only that, they have BONES in them too!

I can't believe anyone would eat the stupid things!

Personally...I think Walleye is boring as hell.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Swap them for Crappie or Catfish- - - - -if you can find somebody dumb enough to trade that way!

This

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We used to catch them out of farm ponds all the time.

Build a fire, and cook them on a stick or folded in half in pop can or a chili can.

My buddy carried a bottle of mesquite (choo choo!) smoked salt...which was good on the trout.

A friend of ours slathers them in yellow mustard before cooking.

When we catch them we just fry them on the spot. Eats em as we catches em.

Never had a fillet of trout. Prefer heads on so I can eat the cheek meat.

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,295
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.