Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't cook it often but I love fresh trout, fried/tin foil/broiled. The simpler the seasoning the better-salt pepper butter lemon. Sometimes dill.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Best recipe is catch and release

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I like June-caught trout after they’ve spent two or three years in the ocean. Eight, maybe ten pounders.

P
Bastid!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I like that too.

When I do keep a few trout crushed cornflakes crumbs for breading with black pepper and grilled is my go to way to cook them. A lot of people love trout but I’m not a big fan I’d rather have fried perch or walleye.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Get some red snapper from your seafood market, and feed the freshwater fish to the cats.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Get some red snapper from your seafood market, and feed the freshwater fish to the cats.
Grilled swordfish steaks are pretty damn good too. I’ll have to try snapper sometime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've wondered if some guys who don't like trout is because they catch them in muddy or brackish water. There are several lakes here that have great trout fishing but once the algae bloom is in the lake after about June 1, the fish taste like crud and are basically inedible. However, at the same time if you catch fish a few miles away in the clear mountain streams they are great for eating....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've wondered if some guys who don't like trout is because they catch them in muddy or brackish water. There are several lakes here that have great trout fishing but once the algae bloom is in the lake after about June 1, the fish taste like crud and are basically inedible. However, at the same time if you catch fish a few miles away in the clear mountain streams they are great for eating....

Bob

I think the main problem is these guys put ketchup on their Filet O Fish and Gortons fish sticks.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Bob

I think the main problem is these guys put ketchup on their Filet O Fish and Gortons fish sticks.

Only when we run outta tartar.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have never seen so many people who disliked trout. Maybe you guys are eating stocked fish? Native brook trout are the best.

-Piss into the wind.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by skeen

Bob

Only when we run outta tartar.

I likes to dip my fries in the MacDonald tartar sauce.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BKinSD

Exactly. There's a reason the injuns put 'em in the hole when plantin' corn.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to think I disliked trout because we ate so many when I was growing up.... was told by my dad, you catch and keep your limit... after I grew up I kept none for 30 yrs.
Now I keep a few to eat and actually enjoy them.
Now walleye, perch, crappie, ling cod, rock cod, halibut... that is good fish!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I shouldn't have been so surprised to learn that most here can't get along without two daily showers and fresh satin sheets.

I bet most of you put on rubber gloves to make meatballs or clean toilets.

Triple sheesh.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am going to start calling you guys Massengillers.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Bob

I have nightmares of being forced to eat that crap when I was a kid. Catholic issues from the olden days. Give me some tuna noodle caserole or baked mac and cheese on Friday instead of that nasty stuff they tried to pass of as good to eat.

Or ....................................give me a trout to cook.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stocked trout isn’t very good. Wild trout is very good. Simply cooked. Pan fried preferred.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
I used to think I disliked trout because we ate so many when I was growing up.... was told by my dad, you catch and keep your limit... after I grew up I kept none for 30 yrs.
Now I keep a few to eat and actually enjoy them.
Now walleye, perch, crappie, ling cod, rock cod, halibut... that is good fish!

Those ones in your last sentence..............I like 'em too, but they...............hardly even taste like fish.

Talk about eating too many when younger. Best friend and I, and our younger bros, would ride the 7 miles or so on our bikes to a local city reservoir in SoCal and catch limits (or more, statute of limitations over by now) of planted trout. Best friend's dad bought our bait, big block of Velveeta cheese and jars of Pautzke's salmon eggs. His family had 9 kids (Catholics too, of course) to feed and every weekend they'd end up with limits on Sat and Sun from our trips. Our family only had 5 kids, so sometime his family got donated a few of our fish. Was a hoot, my little sister, maybe 4-5 years old at the time, loved to watch me clean them and pick through the guts to see what they were eating!

Planters hold little appeal now, but back then, helping feed the family while having fun was a good thing.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Springcove
Stocked trout isn’t very good. Wild trout is very good. Simply cooked. Pan fried preferred.
You coming over this summer?

I'm going to try to get to a couple of places in the Warners.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As many have said wild trout from cold water is a fine meal.

I prefer to fillet, skin and remove Y bones.

Salt and pepper in a pan with butter.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (3333vl, 470Evans, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,178
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.