-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Feel lucky to still get a few a year. Don’t even bother hunting them locally though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My driveway a few years back. Haven’t even heard them whistle around the house the last few years though. frown

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I haven’t hunted any in years either, eye worms, and throat worms is what has caused big kill off here in western Ok. I have heard a lot of Bobs calling this spring and summer. The coveys had twenty birds at the end of winter, usually about 6, Turkeys are trying to come back too, 5 years ago you couldn’t hardly Deer hunt because of hundreds of turkeys rushing to feeders when they went off, don’t know if it’s hogs or worms that has almost wiped out both , hogs have moved back to the Canadian river, and numbers are up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My grandfather was an avid Bob White hunter. He lived in the Oklahoma panhandle, Beaver and Boise City. Always had at least one bird dog and hunted with a Browning Sweet Sixteen. I still have his shotgun. The gold is wore off thevtrigger and there is a dent in the rib. I have no idea if there are still Bob Whites in that area.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In the '50s they were common in northern and western Ohio, not as much as in the deep south but pretty common regardless. Now they're extinct here. And we don't have fire ants.
Part of that may be blamed on Hollywood going so hard against the wearing of fur. Raccoon, opossum, mink, coyotes, fox, and all manner of varmints run wild, procreate, and eat up everything they find.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Still have some down here but not near like back in the 70s early 80s, fire ants, and hogs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

We hunt Quail a lot here. and we are covered up with Turkey's Rio7

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Miss hearing them. Heard them almost every evening when I was a child.

GreggH

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Quail are like Hamburgers everything eats them. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RIO7
Quail are like Hamburgers everything eats them. Rio7
Truth, really good with biscuits and gravy.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We still have lots of turkeys in this country.

Same here, Bob. Probably more Turkey than quail.

We had tons of both blue or “scaled” quail and Bob whites here on the Ranch when I was a kid.

Haven’t seen a blue in years. Occasionally see a bob white.

The quail population start to decline here when we became inundated with wild hogs.

Well we don't have any wild hogs here either. But we have foxes and coyotes.

And a plethora of bobcats and hawks and raccoons and skunks and bulldozed hedgerows and weed free corn fields and a desert of fescue (here) and and….

Don't get me started on birds of prey. They need controlled the same as 4 legged predators.

Used to have a bounty on them for a reason.

And people with their fugging cats.

Barn cats too. No use for a cat on the place.

Even hard to even see a rabbit around here. I have several on my place but the brush is thick as schitt. Neighbors cats do best when they stay on their side of the road.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/04/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For many years my uncle’s family had some land in Tillman County Oklahoma that was northwest of Grandfield. He ran cows on that land, but otherwise he pretty much left it alone. Back in the late 60’s to about 1978 I hunted quail with him a bunch out there. That place had really good numbers of bobwhites back in those days. He had some good dogs and I always had a blast hunting with them.

But over the years, the quail went the way of the hornytoads (which also used to be in abundance out there).

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When the boy was little we’d buy bobwhite chicks and raise them. They’d last a year or two then the predators got them. Neat call, though.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We have a few coveys on our lease south of San Antonio. We don’t hunt ‘em since not too many, and they have enough enemies without me shooting em!

Don’t get me wrong, I love to quail hunt but don’t want to not have ‘em around to hear and see.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Saturday. He hung around for probably 20 minutes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I miss the strong population of quail that we had in the 80s. I miss the good ol bits that hunted them too. Many were WWII veterans. They would argue about dogs, guns, etc. I loved listening to the bird hunting stories.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wild or stray house cats are quail killers.

We used to have 2 to 3 coveys and now we are down to 2 quail. Cannot convince the home owners that the stray house cat they have are killing the quail.

I used to have coyotes out back and the home owners do not want them around and shoot them (in city limits). The coyotes were helping keep the cat, jack rabbit and cottontail population down. With out the coyotes the 3 are running amuck.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My Dad was a beagle man when I was a kid. I can remember rabbit hunting and jumping coveys of quail and trying kill them. I knew I’d have bird dog when I got older.

As soon as I could I started buying good blooded English Pointers(I know they dropped using the English but they will always be English pointers to me).

Sometimes we’d go days and never bump a covey. Then I quit buying replacement puppies when my dogs got older. Then my last two bird dogs died about six weeks apart. I told my wife I was done hunting something that was like hunting Bigfoot.

That lasted five or six years. I said I was tired of not having anything to do in the winter. So I done it. I bought another English pointer puppy. That puppy is now about a year old and I have a five week old puppy on the way in a couple more weeks.

The few quail that remain I’ll chase with my 28 gauges. I just can’t give it up though I know I should.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had 3 English Pointers and truly loved to quail hunt. It was my passion. Over the years you had to travel further and further to find birds. Eventually the numbers scaled down so drastically that it wasn't worth the effort. I even bought a "Johnny House" to capture quail, but rattlers would find their way inside of it. Even tried stocking areas with pen raised quail. Pen raised birds don't do well in the wild, and they're slowwww fliers. (Hardly fun to shoot).
I understand, Argentina still has quality coveys and many years ago many of my friends traveled to the Baja Peninsula with excellent success. Sad to lose them. They were great sport and outstanding table fare.

The last time I hunted quail locally a friend saved me from stepping on a rattler. I heard a "LOOK OUT" and he shoved me sideways. Naturally I had on boots and even though he was smaller in size doesn't mean he wouldn't or couldn't have struck higher. I would have definitely stepped on him. (The good old days) I'll never forget the start one receives when a covey bust in front of you.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
House cat is dead meat here, shoot on sight, we have a lot of Quail, some years more some years less, depends on how much rain we get, we manage about 20,000 acres just for Quail hunting, food, water, cover, predator control, are very important to wild Quail. Rio7

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Wild or stray house cats are quail killers.

We used to have 2 to 3 coveys and now we are down to 2 quail. Cannot convince the home owners that the stray house cat they have are killing the quail.

I used to have coyotes out back and the home owners do not want them around and shoot them (in city limits). The coyotes were helping keep the cat, jack rabbit and cottontail population down. With out the coyotes the 3 are running amuck.

Shoot the cats when no one is looking, then assist the owners in the search. That’s one of my favorite things to do.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,041
Posts18,482,043
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.