-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
All good so far, some people only have heart trouble once.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High Cholesterol is a genetic thing in our family as I found out AFTER I had heart problems. I was having a hard time walking across the parking lot at work after a day of work, then it got to the point I couldn't push my lawnmower around my yard once without having to stop and catch my breath. Went to my doc, he sent me to a cardiologist the very next day, and a couple days later I had four stents implanted in the clogged up vessels feeding my heart muscle. This was all about 12 years ago now. I've been pretty good ever since but I realize that eventually I will have to have them redone or worse- bypass surgery.. I'm on BP medication, cholesterol drugs, and blood thinners and they seem to be working but I worry about what all that chemistry is doing to my body. Not that I have much choice right now unless I have a death wish, which I don't....

My younger brother had a 5 way bypass about a year before I had my stents put in and my dad passed at 85 from congestive heart failure- a fancy term for heart failure brought on by blocked arteries. They said he wouldn't survive the surgery to correct it, so they gave him meds and let him live his last couple years in relative comfort. He kept busy right up until the end, but in the end it gets us all.

Last edited by Sheister; 07/05/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I went into the hospital a couple of years ago to have a too large kidney stone surgically removed. As soon as I recovered from that, I was informed they were transferring me to the cardio section. Scared the begeebers out of me as I had no idea, other than noticing for the previous maybe two years as getting much tireder than I should when doing physical things. Had been on high blood pressure meds for several years. I was diagnosed with afib and had an exploratory heart procedure with a camera inside my heart that determined I needed a stint. Back in surgery the next day and had the stint installed. Having that 11 mm kidney stone saved my life. Had a cardio check-up a few days ago and all is well. Not due for another for a year.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thankfully, no, despite somewhat high cholesterol. Have lost 38 pounds in 7 months, BP is down, sugar low. Calcium heart scan score was zero. Still fat, but not obese.

Feeling pretty good, and I ain’t going back. Bread, sugar, grains, seed oils are out. Healthy fats, fresh veggies, meat, eggs, dairy, fish are in.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
I had a massive heart attack 5 and a half years ago. I would've still ate that Boston butt

^^
Like.

There are certain pleasures in life that a Man should not forego.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My maternal grandmother died of heart disease at 70 back in 1962. My mother had stents after mild heart attacks. I never gave it a thought, even though some doctors said I had high bloof pressure. Then I had three heart attacks ten years ago. Two failed stents by a cardio group I subsequently fired, then bypass surgery, four. I'm OK now, on meds which open up my constricted arteries. My father died of a burst aorta, so I have that checked, too.

My first cardiologist said my life expectancy was 5-7 years, and he said that 6 years after my bypass. Lots of folks live a long life after bypass. I hope to.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have higher than normal blood pressure and it stroked me out 10 years ago. When I get a headache or my ears start beating I take a blood pressure pill and aspirin if needed. I'm not going to train my body into needing medicine to survive. Ain't nobody getting out of here alive, hopefully when my time comes it'll be quick. Obamacare ACA taught me a valuable lesson, the better your insurance is the more they'll find wrong with you.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I have higher than normal blood pressure and it stroked me out 10 years ago. When I get a headache or my ears start beating I take a blood pressure pill and aspirin if needed. I'm not going to train my body into needing medicine to survive. Ain't nobody getting out of here alive, hopefully when my time comes it'll be quick. Obamacare ACA taught me a valuable lesson, the better your insurance is the more they'll find wrong with you.

Grit I know I shouldn’t laugh but you made me chuckle.

Endeavor to persevere
Chief Dan George

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heart attack last year about this time. Now have 2 stents in the old ticker. Try to watch the diet pretty closely. Type II diabetes, high cholesterol, bp good. 54 yrs old and walk guys half my age into the ground come hunting season. Ride a Mtn Bike about 2,000 miles per year. Diet, exercise and genetics are the 3 legged stool. I have issues with the leg I can't do anything about.

Last edited by centershot; 07/06/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
High blood pressure, high cholesterol, plus a hole in my heart that did not close in infancy. I take BP meds to keep it in check and an injectable cholesterol med. There are a lot of things I want to do in this life yet. Not taking some kind of meds to help me accomplish that is just stupid .

I want to keep active, slide into home plate screaming it's been a hell of ride.I have been retired now almost 20 years, Never missed an elk season. Parts of my body are wearing out,but so far the organs are still working except my lungs.

Waiting for a heart attack from not taking meds or controlling cholesterol and having a stroke leaving one a vegetable shows a person isn't the sharpest pencil in the deck

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/05/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heart attack years ago. Cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure now. Severe bundle blockage issues. Take a few meds, not a lot. Pacemaker/ICD is more important now than pills. It is what it is.

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The five year mortality rate for heart failure is 50%. For you southern boys that means half y’all are dead in five years. That’s worse than most cancers.

Blood pressure and cholesterol.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Father died of a heart attack at 57 in 1994 (he had CHF for a few years before). I was in the hospital for a week at 40 YO (first week of buck season here in PA) with CHF and Pneumonia. They told me there were 27 things that could cause CHF and one was "We don't know".

Been on BP meds since and see my cardiologist every year (sometimes twice), he tells me I have an angel looking out for me. My EF was 18 back then (16 years ago) and I'm between 35 and 40 now. Am in pretty good shape (a little over weight) and haven't really had any heart trouble since. I consider myself very lucky.

ETA: One of the 27 things they said could cause it is alcohol. I had young kids back then and I wanted to see them grow up so I quit drinking for over 10 years. My kids are grown now so I drink a little (maybe a lot) now and then. Figure I'm worth a whole lot more to them dead than alive and I'm good with that.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Feeling pretty good, and I ain’t going back. Bread, sugar, grains, seed oils are out. Healthy fats, fresh veggies, meat, eggs, dairy, fish are in.

Those with non-genetic high cholesterol (about 85%) could significantly improve their lipids if they dropped carbs and do what you speak of.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had a mitral valve repair in 2014 when I was 59 and have had AFIB issues ever since. Have good days and not so good days. Past couple of years have been rather rough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
The five year mortality rate for heart failure is 50%. For you southern boys that means half y’all are dead in five years. That’s worse than most cancers.

P
I’ve had congestive heart failure for 15 years. Still humming along. Takes 3 well salted tomatoes to actually put +1 tibial fluid on my shins.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P
I’ve had congestive heart failure for 15 years. Still humming along. Takes 3 well salted tomatoes to actually put +1 tibial fluid on my shins.

If you grew really good tasting maters, like we do Out West, they wouldn't need salt at all. wink

Of course, in some places our water is so bad the maters basically come pre-salted!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've had a leaky valve since the 1960's- - - - -it got me DQ'ed from playing football, but Uncle Sam still said it was OK for me be an anti-aircraft target for Jane Fonda. Fast forward to the early 1990's for two stents. A couple of years later it's "atrial fibrillation" and a 3 day hospital stay go get the electronics adjusted for a heart rate below 200. Last week- - - -same problem- - -rapid heartbeat, this time in the 130's. A stronger rate control medicine seems to be handling that problem, somewhat. Now a "home EKG" monitor seems like it's going to be my pocket pal for a little while.

So far, no open chest procdeures like bypasses, or a pacemaker. I choose to live every day to the fullest- - - -there's no guarantee tomorrow's going to get here! Anybody who doesn't like that- - - -check out the sprig of mistletoe attached to my back belt loop!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
No heart, so no heart issues here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have fun today.

Had a little syncope episode last year, got 2 days in a hospital and lots of tests. They couldn't find anything wrong.

Tomorrow may not happen for anyone.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 23 invisible), 1,744 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.