Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have a stack on for 10+ yrs and never a problem. Needed to buy another to store more guns and almost got a cannon until I read the reviews. Got a sports afield. Lifetime warranty and a back up key if the electronic lock goes south. I still prefer a combination lock but any safe I could find with one was more than double the price.

Home Of The Mollies

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 8 year old grandson playing around spun the wheel and stripped the shaft. Cannon safe was locked and unusable. It took several emails and photos and video evidence of the issue before they'd send a tech. Major PITA but they made it right.

I won't buy another.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
No idea on Cannon. Fort Knox here. Bought it 15 years ago as it had the highest fire rating I could find. Fire is more likely than burglars where I am. The 9V battery in the electronic lock lasts about a year. The electronic lock went out at about year 7, and I called Fort Knox gave them the model #. They overnighted me a new lock, no questions, no fees, even provided instructions on how to replace it. Would a dial lock have done that, no. I do like how easy the electronic lock is though.

2 Words.

Fort Knox.
Yep! I ended up getting the Fort Knox M2 Spartan series of the Ft. Knox line. Its no frills, extra heavy metal all around and the redundant lock electronic keypad and spin dial. So, there's no issue getting into the safe for a battery change.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 07/07/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at Dakota Safes. They're made in Catoosa, OK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dakota’s are nice. I had one of their midline brand Black Diamond series safes. That line was made in China but a quality safe and value for the money.

My current safes are Liberty and Fort Knox. One dial and one keypad. The Fort Knox is the nicer of two IMO but both are good American made safes. I’ve haven’t had a problem with a keypad and the convenience is nice but I’d probably just as soon have dial models for peace of mind.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Yep! An exclusive sold by Security Center Inc. SCI Tulsa Safes in Catoosa. They are the shop I purchased my Ft. Knox through. Deb English is great people to deal with for sure!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Yep! An exclusive sold by Security Center Inc. SCI Tulsa Safes in Catoosa. They are the shop I purchased my Ft. Knox through. Deb English is great people to deal with for sure!
I’m not sure about only being sold by SCI unless they have some sort of distribution agreement.

I bought a Black Diamond from Able Safes in Pinconning, MI and they also stock the Dakota line.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
LOL - since when did Stack On ever equal quality? I’ve seen thicker beer cans and yes, I have an older one too. They’re better than nothing, but they will only stop an honest man from getting into them. With almost no effort one can simply take the whole thing. Replaced mine long, long ago with a Liberty that weighs 1000#.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have had a Cannon for about 25 yrs, and no problems yet.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My first safe was bought 40 years ago from A G English. It’s a Security Products, has two recessed key locks top and bottom of the door. It sets in the garage and has beater truck guns and ammo. Gun room has a pair of American Security safes, one and ten years old. The keypad went out on the ten year old about a year after it was purchased. They sent a replacement keypad immediately and have had no further issues.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
IC B3

K
Ken_L Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I think older Cannon safes were made in the USA but a lot of the newer ones are made in Mexico. The Stack On safe I have which was made before the Cannon buyout was made in China. Of course not a Fort Knox by any stretch but it weighs 700 pounds and it's not going anywhere.

I am just putting my experience out there for others to make an informed decision and know what you are more than likely going to deal with if you have any issues.

Below is the e-mail I received from Cannon in regards to replacing my safe. As you can see not a lot of effort put into this process.

Eden Rodriguez (Cannon Security Products, LLC)
Jun 29, 2022, 3:43 PM PDT
Hello Kenneth

I spoke with management, and we will move with the replacement one you agree, but the carrier will not take the safe inside the home, it is only curbside delivery only.

Just reply to this email accepting (a simple YES, I ACCEPT will be enough), and confirm the address this safe will be shipped to. Once we receive your agreement, we will place an order for your replacement safe. It could take ( 3 ) to ( 4 ) weeks for you to get it.
Model Offered: TD18-40-GP-E-S-DS (same one you have)

Eden Rodriguez | Customer Experience Department
P: Cannon Safe (847) 665-1635 | GunVault (847) 665-1626 | Stack-On (847) 665-1602 |

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Bummer. My Cannon also failed right after I purchased it. Their customer service was considerably better though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fort Knox.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Speaking of dial locks. I have one on my safe that has been in our house for over 25 years. I open it quite a bit and I am guilty of spinning it pretty fast. Do these require service every so often?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Safes aren't much different than anything else we purchase. You buy cheap and you get what you pay for.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 48 gun and it has been good but with mostly scoped rifles it holds about 20 or so, bought about 10 years ago and just put it's 2nd battery in last year. Last year ts had sale on the 22 gun so I got one but you can only use the back row and if you use the front row the butt stocks hit the door and this one is mainly for my non scoped rimfires..

Last edited by DANNYL; 07/08/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In my family we have three American Security safes for over 20 years and not a single problem.

K
Ken_L Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Bummer. My Cannon also failed right after I purchased it. Their customer service was considerably better though.

How long ago was it that your safe failed? Just curious if after the buyouts of other brands by Cannon if they have changed their approach.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a 48 gun cannon with the battery touch button lock. Never have had an issue with it. Changed the battery twice in maybe 10 years. It has a crazy beeping pattern when the battery gets low. So far it’s been a good one, now it will probably not open tomorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Originally Posted by MadMooner

How long ago was it that your safe failed? Just curious if after the buyouts of other brands by Cannon if they have changed their approach.

Maybe 5 years?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 51 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,283
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.