Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by TheKid
I notice several on this thread and others who state that they have no payment but they list their vehicles which have over 1/4 mil on the clock.

I get it, I hate owing money and having to make a monthly payment. But are you guys supremely confident in a 20 year old vehicle with that kind of mileage? Don’t travel far from home?

I’m not knocking on anyone’s rig. I just have never owned a vehicle with that kind of mileage on it that wasn’t constantly in need of some little $200 fix to keep it on the road. And when I set off on a cross country trip hundreds or thousands of miles from home I really don’t want to have to work on the truck on the side of the road or hole up in a motel somewhere for a week or 10 days until the local mechanic can get her up and rolling again.

And for the record, yes I have a truck payment, for 18 more months. We like to keep one nice rig around in case we decide to hop in and drive across 4 states for vacation or a hunting trip.
Yup. Three out of four weekends a month I'm heading north to Camp and that is 120 miles away. I have no interest in driving something that I wonder if I'll get there
You should’ve bought a Toyota then!

The emperor appreciates your sentiment.

The UAW appreciates your sentiment, and your $$ that they donated to getting Biden elected.

Koneechiwa and arrigato or whatever. You like your rice steamed or fried?

MAGA

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d take a Toyota with 300K over a Ford/Chevy/Ram
With 175k any day of the week.
I own 10 Chevy/Ford/International 2500,3500,4500,6500 class trucks….only because Toyota doesn’t offer anything comparable.

HINO

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Well, partly because no car payments means being being able to spend "that" money on more enjoyable things, whether hunting, guns or whatever.

Of course, if you enjoy your vehicle as much or more than hunting, guns or whatever, then why not?

A guy’s budget is just that. His. Some like to not have kids and travel to Africa or Alaska and hunt, or vacation in enemy nations like Mexico.

Some guys like to put money into their property and fix things up, some like to drive fancy cars. None of it matters.

I just find it curiously amusing how many leap to the bait to brag about how all their stuff is paid off.

Of course there are also the 1%ers here that can’t help but boast of their personal wealth at any given opportunity.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, partly because no car payments means being being able to spend "that" money on more enjoyable things, whether hunting, guns or whatever.

Of course, if you enjoy your vehicle as much or more than hunting, guns or whatever, then why not?

A guy’s budget is just that. His. Some like to not have kids and travel to Africa or Alaska and hunt, or vacation in enemy nations like Mexico.

Some guys like to put money into their property and fix things up, some like to drive fancy cars. None of it matters.

I just find it curiously amusing how many leap to the bait to brag about how all their stuff is paid off.

Of course there are also the 1%ers here that can’t help but boast of their personal wealth at any given opportunity.
Dude, you own horses.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I notice several on this thread and others who state that they have no payment but they list their vehicles which have over 1/4 mil on the clock.

I get it, I hate owing money and having to make a monthly payment. But are you guys supremely confident in a 20 year old vehicle with that kind of mileage? Don’t travel far from home?

I’m not knocking on anyone’s rig. I just have never owned a vehicle with that kind of mileage on it that wasn’t constantly in need of some little $200 fix to keep it on the road. And when I set off on a cross country trip hundreds or thousands of miles from home I really don’t want to have to work on the truck on the side of the road or hole up in a motel somewhere for a week or 10 days until the local mechanic can get her up and rolling again.

And for the record, yes I have a truck payment, for 18 more months. We like to keep one nice rig around in case we decide to hop in and drive across 4 states for vacation or a hunting trip.
Yup. Three out of four weekends a month I'm heading north to Camp and that is 120 miles away. I have no interest in driving something that I wonder if I'll get there

The UAW appreciates your sentiment, and your $$ that they donated to getting Biden elected.

Koneechiwa and arrigato or whatever. You like your rice steamed or fried?

I like my rice with Red Beans.
Detroit is a scheit hole, and half of the parts in a Chevy come from places that don’t speak anglais.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
New trucks are really nice but they sure are expensive. I expect my old 6.0 power stroke with 260k miles to make it to NY and back towing my boat. And then it's off to MT in September and back. If the communist Canadian's would of let us travel through, we'd planned to drive it to Alaska and back this year. I keep threatening to buy a new gas 3/4 ton truck, but I just can't talk myself into it.

Life is good live it while you can.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The last new truck I want was made in 2007 or before the major emissions crap on modern diesels took affect. My delivery vehicle for towing a trailer with skid steers and 8k Kubotas is an F-450 and it needs a $1200 def computer board. My new backup to the Ford is a 2007 3/4 ton Chevy with the big 8.1L 496 (iirc) so hopefully like my earlier Chevys it’ll be just as bullet proof. The emissions crap and variable valve crap makes all the money that a new truck costs tough to swallow. Without a substantial warranty I’d think twice before spending the better part of $100,000 on a new truck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a big Apache from the local Rez.
That will sock someone in the eye for a 12 pack and a bag of skins
Don’t get much cheaper than that

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Backroads

Dude, you own horses.

Haha no kidding. smile

I’m sure as hell not bragging about having anydamnthing paid off lol. [bleep] black hole those things are.

But if I did I wouldn’t feel compelled to tell our readership here about my financial situation.

When I win the the lotto the only way anybody would know is a whole of of “I’ll take it” posts in the classsifieds. wink

MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I hope that's not a jab at a green tractor!

The ONE time Gruff pays for paint....

I’ve spent money on a lot of stupid ideas. That one might prove to be the worst. Time will tell, as long as I keep pouring the fluid to her she keeps working.
Leaks are generally cheap to fix....

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
36 more payments, and this bad sumbitch is all mine.

[Linked Image from whattayagonnado.files.wordpress.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me either. I am single live alone, use my truck for work and I want to be confident its not going to be broke down. I always traded for new truck every 4/5 years but My last truck I drove for 10 years 125k miles. That last four years was a PIA. Expensive as well. I drive to my hunting lease in AL 8 hrs away often in the season and I don't want headaches. I buy new and take the special depreciation deduction which makes sense to me financially all other things considered.
Unless forced to I will never drive a truck older than 4/5 years. Others can do whatever they find works for them. Everyone has different incomes , priorities and needs. Based on all things I consider , I buy new. I usually wait for a good sale like GMs 10-12k off sticker. I also finance more or less depending on the interest rate I can get. I buy when the deal is right so I get forced into buying when it isnt. I only keep one vehicle in my household so likely different situation from households that need more vehicles.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Debt is so prestigious though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Debt is so prestigious though.

It is when you can handle it comfortably. It's the only way to keep your credit scores high

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

The Ford Foundation has had a More Pernicious Effect on America ..
It Funds a vast array of Marxist and Neo Marxist Organizations all chipping away at America’s Foundation..
The UAW isn’t even in the same League…

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was told as a young man that payments on a new vehicle you can afford are whatever you can pay off in 3 years. You can't buy much in 3 years for 700 a month anymore. A worn out truck will cost that now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most expensive car I've ever bought was $27,000

Can't see paying a fortune for something I'm going to get soaking wet with with sweat and also drive down the road eating my lunch in.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I will keep driving my 30 + year old Land Cruiser.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It actually keeps appreciating in value and I like driving it.

One question...

People offer to buy your LC how often?

Every week?

Every day?

2 or 3 times a days?

Well pretty frequently. I don't go to town much as I don't like crowds, but it is a rare month that I have not had at least one offer to buy it or trade for what they are driving.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No payment here. Fixed income pretty much prevents that. I drive a 2006 Lincoln Town car. Bought it from a dealer for $8000 cash. Original window sticker was in the glove box. $40000.
Great car for a fat old man.....like me!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I will keep driving my 30 + year old Land Cruiser.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It actually keeps appreciating in value and I like driving it.

I always pay cash for mine. After I buy a LC, I start a monthly savings to get a newer one every so often. Their value appreciating helps a lot. I have two now.

The Lexus 570 cost more and depreciates faster. I tried to tell my wife that, but noooo!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 14 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.