Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My office in 1975 and 76:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on your retirement.

I've never been to Alaska and only met 4 people that have, that I know of. Two of them went for vacations and loved it. One lived and worked there for several years. The 4th person hated it, but he didn't go for a vacation. Mr. Rollins was sent there in '41 and stayed until '45. RIP Mr. Rollins.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having lived previously in Idaho for 3 years I think you will like it there, if I hadn't decided to move back to Ak I would have probably stayed there. I've got 3 kids that live Idaho, 2 in Mtn Home and 1 in Twin Falls so I do get to spend a little time there every now and then. I'm about 4-5 years out from retiring myself and I'm not sure what our plans are for the future but if we move, Idaho is near the top of the list, along with Wyoming and Montana. Good luck and have fun in your retirement.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get to pull the pin next summer. I'm moving further north where the sub-zero winters keep out all but the hardiest of riff-raff and have no desire to ever go back to the L-48 to live. Although my current boss has kinda twisted my arm into taking him and his wife on a tour of deepest-darkest Appalachia in the next couple years. I figure a fall trip with a ride on the Cass Railroad would be a good trip ending.

Tsavo, what detachment were you last with?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tsavo
After 25 years living here this time, we left Alaska on 28jUN22, maybe for good. Arrived in Idaho yesterday. Plan on settling in and making our final stand in Idaho due to La Familia. Figure time was right to get out while the getting was good.

Wife and I are retired and have payed our dues. I know better than to say never say never and having moved back up to Alaska more than once we plan on making it stick this time and plant permanent roots.

As an Alaska State Trooper, I was fortunate to serve all over the state So far, sure do like Idaho and being surrounded by like minded individuals with similar beliefs and values. Alaska has been good for us, after 40 years accumulated in the Great Land it was time to
get back to the road system and closer to civilization.

I try to never look back, but Alaska definitely gets into your blood and will always be missed. Ever grateful for our time in the Last Frontier. I think I know what is coming and pray for you SourDoughs who will stick it out. TS
What is your definition of civilization?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by johnn
After 25 years living here this time, we left Alaska on 28jUN22, maybe for good. Arrived in Idaho yesterday. Plan on settling in and making our final stand in Idaho due to La Familia. Figure time was right to get out while the getting was good.

Wife and I are retired and have payed our dues. I know better than to say never say never and having moved back up to Alaska more than once we plan on making it stick this time and plant permanent roots.

As an Alaska State Trooper, I was fortunate to serve all over the state So far, sure do like Idaho and being surrounded by like minded individuals with similar beliefs and values. Alaska has been good for us, after 40 years accumulated in the Great Land it was time to

I try to never look back, but Alaska definitely gets into your blood and will always be missed. Ever grateful for our time in the Last Frontier. I think I know what is coming and pray for you SourDoughs who will stick it out. TS

No reply, no suprise, most people get civilized confused with malls, theaters, paved roads & the like. Been here awhile and on the rare occasion I travel and would like to do more... people always ask "what is it about Alaska?" Difficult question to answer as its one of those, "if you don't know you won't get it".

Finally came up with answer, "its the most civilized place on the planet".

Usally ends the conversation with some quizzical looks.
Bottom line is, civilized is how people treat each other, more so, how strangers treat each other.

That was reinforced today at Freds, when the clerk engaged me in conversation, asked if I found what I was looking for? And very sincerely let me know that if I can't find something in the store to ask a clerk, he then said, sure we're supposed to say that, but I mean it, and I believe he did.

There are good people wherever you go, but Alaska is different, seen plenty leave and return, they may miss the outdoors stuff, but inevitably they say, "its the people". It would be easy to say they miss their friends, nope that's not it. Its Alaskans they miss, capable. Helpful friendly people operating on a face value basis.

I ain't leaving any time soon.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No reply, no suprise, most people get civilized confused with malls, theaters, paved roads & the like. Been here awhile and on the rare occasion I travel and would like to do more... people always ask "what is it about Alaska?" Difficult question to answer as its one of those, "if you don't know you won't get it".

Finally came up with answer, "its the most civilized place on the planet".

Usally ends the conversation with some quizzical looks.
Bottom line is, civilized is how people treat each other, more so, how strangers treat each other.

That was reinforced today at Freds, when the clerk engaged me in conversation, asked if I found what I was looking for? And very sincerely let me know that if I can't find something in the store to ask a clerk, he then said, sure we're supposed to say that, but I mean it, and I believe he did.

There are good people wherever you go, but Alaska is different, seen plenty leave and return, they may miss the outdoors stuff, but inevitably they say, "its the people". It would be easy to say they miss their friends, nope that's not it. Its Alaskans they miss, capable. Helpful friendly people operating on a face value basis.

I ain't leaving any time soon.

That's what I tell people also.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.