Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tide_Change,
Great pics. I've been to the buttes a number of times and have some good sized chunks of both black and mahogany on my picnic table. Wish I had the skill of 1 minute to nap them up

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Great pictures!

lightman
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice Tide Change! I am hunting this fall in an area near Mammoth CA that should have obsidian. I’ll keep an eye out for it when trekking around.

A side question: were those shrubs sage? What types of sage do you have up there?

We have bucketloads of white and big or mountain sage around here, as well as some black and purple sages.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Nice Tide Change! I am hunting this fall in an area near Mammoth CA that should have obsidian. I’ll keep an eye out for it when trekking around.

A side question: were those shrubs sage? What types of sage do you have up there?

We have bucketloads of white and big or mountain sage around here, as well as some black and purple sages.

Yup - sage, though I'm not sure what specie.

Valsdad might chime in, I think he eats that stuff occasionally. Great source of fiber. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been there many times

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://projectilepoints.net/Materials/Winterset%20Chert.html

Chert. Winterset chert. Supposedly it's found in Madison County but all I find is pieces. Although I have found some pieces about the size of a tennis ball. It's nothing near as interesting as obsidian but it is the primary stone used in arrow heads and spear heads in this area. I wish I could find a deposit locally but I have not.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What amazes me is knapping was a skill that everyone could do at one time—Iam sure most started as babies.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Great work 1minute.

Kamenstein..........................what a great Chinese name for a tool company.

Kamenstein... Chinese Jews from Hoo Flung Poo China..

big family... not to be confused with the Kammenstein Chinese Jews from Hong Kong...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sagebrush?

Yes.

Around Oregon's Glass Buttes one will find 5 species. Low sage where the soil is less that 18 to 20 inches deep. Soils get very wet as spring snows melt due to shallow bedrock or a clay layer, the ground will drain though. Never any taller than knee high and typically half that. Pronghorn like extensive stands are they're able to open it up and run through that ground.

Wyoming Big Sage on soils from 2 to 3 feet deep. Usually gets about waist high.

On the deepest soils, 3 ft to infinity is Tall or Basin Big Sagebrush which can be 4 to 8 ft tall. In the early days settlers looked for extensive stands of big sage. Makes great farmland if water is available.

Next is Mountain Big Sage usually in areas exceeding about 4,500 ft in elevation. About the same stature as Wyoming but with a different growth form with all of the flowering stems emerging from the top of the shrub's canopy.

Last is Silver Sagebrush found in small basins that have no drainage. These will hold standing water in the spring a phenomena the other species cannot tolerate.

None of them are truly palatable to stock and/or most wildlife. Too many nasty chemicals. Pronghorn and Sage Grouse are the exceptions with sage often making up to 80% of their winter diets. Chew up a leaf or two and one will understand.

Cattle will eat sage bark and the dead twigs if they are indeed desperate, but it's a weight losing starvation deal.

The only thing approaching a tree out there is Western Juniper. Also some Mountain Mahogany that's classified as a shrub rarely exceeding 15 ft in height. Mahogany though is great winter forage for deer and elk.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/11/22.

1Minute
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My wife’s father was a anthropologist professor and spent the summers teaching flint knapping. I have a couple buckets and a crate but not sure it isn’t discard.

I also have several tiger stripe knives he made with antler handles. They turned out very nice.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 1minute
Tide Change:

Did not know you were a knapper.

Might have been out of town but should have given me yell. We were up on the Steens fishing and just hanging out for a week+, and once out of the house/office, I'm completely out of touch.

Just took some points to a lady that runs a nearby gift shop yesterday. Seems out of towners will pay $15 an inch for knapped points. She wanted 20 to put on her shelves, and I sold two 3" points to a guy while I was there. At $90 for the two, I at least paid for the gas. They look really fine glued into a shadow box, but she wanted free standing striped transparent rock. Might get about a $900 check from her at the end of the summer.

We have several dispersed sources in the region with a variety of color. The largest lumps I'm aware of are in an obsidian flow at Paulina Lake with boulders the size of pickup trucks. One is not supposed to gather there, but it's mostly low-quality stuff I don't care to work anyway. The best material is really fine glass and even though a lot is striped there's no obvious grain when working it up. Have a fair amount of black stuff in the yard and scored some good chunks during our recent septic tank replacement.

Some of my endeavors when I have nothing else to do. I have to hammer these out of cobbles, as I don't own a rock saw. Most folks in the business have saws and cut out nice thin blanks before flaking off the surfaces. A great and challenging hobby requiring total concentration. One has to break off about a thousand pieces without really breaking things entirely. A relaxing way to escape the world's issues but it can get frustrating when one halves a 90% complete piece.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If there's a coin in the pic for scale it's a quarter. Sorry about that Chinese made ruler in the last image.

Have a good one,

Absolutely great work.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You do better work than most of the Indian rocks that I have found. My collection is small though. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Great thread and information! Thanks

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 61 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,313
Posts18,526,294
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.