Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My old 6" M19 likes 14.5 grs. of #2400 under the 158 gr. XTP. I'll chronograph it but I'll hazard a guess the 4" barrel will run around 1200 fps with that load. If it shoots well and gives me about that much velocity I'll not fiddle around looking for another load.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Nice looking revolver. Can you disable the safety?

Yes. And after being plugged it is hardly noticeable that there was ever a hole and lock there.

Where did you get the plug for safety? Or did you have your gunsmith do it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s hard to beat a S&W 357 - no matter which model. That’s a nice one.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington40x

Yes. And after being plugged it is hardly noticeable that there was ever a hole and lock there.

Where did you get the plug for safety? Or did you have your gunsmith do it?

I have not done that yet. It's likely to happen at some point in the near future. From looking around there are at least a couple guys making a plug/lock delete kit. It looks to be a simple project and looks good when done. About the same as taking the crossbolt safety off a Marlin lever action and installing a plug. Pretty simple and really looks clean from the outside.

The only thing I have done is change the front sight. Standard issue is the typical S&W red ramp front sight. I swapped that out this morning for an SDM Super Sight with a smallish green fiber optic insert. The green fiber optic dot is a big improvement for my eyes over the old dull red ramp insert. With S&W's DX front sight system changing the front sight blade is a piece of cake.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ran across one I couldn't walk away from. This is the M686 SSR Pro Series. My only S&W with the internal lock. An L frame without the full underlug barrel. I really like the feel and balance of that. I'm a sucker for slab sided barrels...

Good lookin' gun, MOGC. May your bullets fly straight. smile

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

👍👍

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only thing I have done is change the front sight. Standard issue is the typical S&W red ramp front sight. I swapped that out this morning for an SDM Super Sight with a smallish green fiber optic insert. The green fiber optic dot is a big improvement for my eyes over the old dull red ramp insert. With S&W's DX front sight system changing the front sight blade is a piece of cake.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote]

Good move on changing the front sight. I did the same on my M-69 with a HI-VIZ green fiber optic. Mucho improved. I wish I could do the same with my M-19, but it is older and doesn't have the removable front sight.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I just remembered, the first and last one I saw a few years ago at a Texas gun shop, had a canted front sight.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
That’s a sweet wheelgun. I have been thinking about the same model.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had a bunch of good .357s, but my favorite was a 686 4" CS-1, a contract overrun for the Customs Service. It had an all-black .1" wide front sight (slightly narrower than normal), a round butt, and lordy, was it slick. I could shoot DA with it better than I could SA, even with magnum loads. I had Pachmayr Compacs on it, because they fit my hands pretty well. It was a sweet rig. I never should have let that guy talk me out of it. It was a perfect size for carrying, and I did carry it quite a bit back then.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've had a bunch of good .357s, but my favorite was a 686 4" CS-1, a contract overrun for the Customs Service. It had an all-black .1" wide front sight (slightly narrower than normal), a round butt, and lordy, was it slick. I could shoot DA with it better than I could SA, even with magnum loads. I had Pachmayr Compacs on it, because they fit my hands pretty well. It was a sweet rig. I never should have let that guy talk me out of it. It was a perfect size for carrying, and I did carry it quite a bit back then.

Shame that one got away, ratsmacker. I can understand the reverence, though. I've got a few .357's. But, an immaculate no "-" 4" 686 is particularly close to my heart.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That will shoot well.

Good grab.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Shame that one got away, ratsmacker. I can understand the reverence, though. I've got a few .357's. But, an immaculate no "-" 4" 686 is particularly close to my heart.

None better, IMO. cool

I took a year off paper pushing and worked a gun section of a great LGS. We got some of the first 686s that were shipped, and I picked one out of the twenty guns. It's butter smooth and still tight.

I,too, prefer the Pachmayrs to the stock concalo big grips.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

MOGC Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The gun here, the 686 SSR Pro comes with two sets of grips. A set of S&W marked rubber finger groove Hogue grips and the wood grips pictured. The wood grips that came on the gun feel really good. I haven't shot it yet, the weather here is hovering around the 100* mark about every day with humidity to match so going to the range doesn't have much appeal right now. But I suspect the wood grips on the gun are going to be pretty good under recoil. I never cared for the finger groove Hogues. Hogue grips with no finger grooves feel good to me but I don't match up well with the finger grooves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
That will shoot well.

Good grab.

Have not heard of a single one of those that didn't shoot well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think that was a good grab. Looking forward to your shooting report. I haven't heard anything negative either, but no actual experience.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.