Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just for balance...I have owned several axis rifles and zero issues. They are generally pretty good.

But yes, like any manufactured item, they send out some that suck.

HR IC

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Just for balance...I have owned several axis rifles and zero issues. They are generally pretty good.

My old man has a couple, and he's never had any problems whatsoever with his, either. That's actually why I bought the pair I had. It just left a real sour taste in my mouth getting 2 duds at once.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trigger on mine was improved a lot with an M Carbo trigger kit. They're around $20. There's a you tube video re installation. Not hard to do and worth doing IMO.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

My old man has a couple, and he's never had any problems whatsoever with his, either. That's actually why I bought the pair I had. It just left a real sour taste in my mouth getting 2 duds at once.

I would feel that way too, given the same scenario

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
Remove the rifle from the stock.

Sand down any and all points that touch the barrel. Check fit and keep sanding until a business card will slide all the way back to the recoil lug/nut.
Dont worry about forearm flex. Just pull the rifle down into the bags at the mag location. Tuck your hand up close to where the bag and rifle contact.

Remove the rings and bases. Clean ALL of the screws and all the bases with nail polish remover.

When you put it all back together use BLUE LOCTITE on ALL OF THE SCREWS including those for the rifle.

Use colored nail polish on top of all the screws and a drop at the ring and scope contact to check for scope movement and any screws that come loose.
This is from Formidilosus a forum member here. It will cure most of your accuracy issues from the start.

For the bolt>> remove it from the rifle and drop the mag. Now wrap some very fine steel wool around a shotgun cleaning brush or one that will fit your chamber and stick that into a drill and slowly spin it in the chamber.
DO NOT PUSH IT INTO THE RIFLING JUST THE CHAMBER.
Another way is to wrap 1000 grit sand paper around a bore brush and so the same thing. Just a little bit for both techniques. You just may have a rough chamber and its grabbing hold of the brass just a bit.

Be patient GO SLOW.

From start to finish about 45 minutes.

Try a Burris Fullfield ll 3x9x40.

Best
HD

Was Waiting to hear back from savage befor I tackle any work on the chamber.

“The warranty is one year from the date of purchase. The evaluation from the gunsmith is at no charge and we will reach out to you if there is a charge for repairs.”

Looks like I’ll be getting to work on my own

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dre
Any good after market parts For these things ?

https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?193-Savage-Axis-FAQ-s

Last edited by 308ld; 08/27/22.

Ed
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would improve the trigger and replace the barrel with a factor take off if you can't smooth out the chamber.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,074
Posts18,501,526
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.