-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coming in late too. I've used a #1 7mm Rem mag for years on pronghorn, deer, and elk. Initally, I think the thought of being single made me a better shot. At least I put more conscious effort into assuring that rests were snug and breathing and trigger squeeze well deciplined. The barrel is getting rough now, but it still shoots, and I've never once wished for a repeater. If I've had the drop on the animal (which is normally the case in big sky country) I stick a second cartridge between my trigger hand fingers and can have it dropped in probably a second later. The real time consumer is getting back on target and executing a proper trigger squeeze.

If out with a bolt action, I still load and shoot single, just because I don't want to induce run out by cycling cartridges through the magazine and action. Likely being anal, but I've never seen the bench boys stacking rounds in a clip

Just starting to work up a Shiloh now (a 45-90 tricked out Long Range Express). Got the big octagon barrel, so it weighs a ton. The wait was initially reported at 14 months but ended up being 24. The wood, workmanship, and wood to metal fit is the best of anything in the safe and well worth the wait. Looking forward to blowing some serious smoke, and hope to break it in on an 400 yard elk someday. Have a good fall out there. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 11/09/07.

1Minute
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I began hunting with single shots in 1987. I have over 30 one shot kills, 90% with Encores & 10% with bolt guns (Ruger 77 & Wby Mk V). While I do not possess any magical shooting prowess I must say I much prefer the s.s. over the bolt gun.

I don't think Encores are high end guns but I do like mine. My current heartthrob is a Wby Mk V but my Encore two barrel set in 7 Wby and 280 Rem is sitting on HOT standby!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hunt almost exclusively with singleshots - preferably very old ones and loaded with black powder and paper patched bullets. I do not fine it to be a handicap.

From a 10 days ago in Wyoming...
[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like hunting with single-shots. It gives more of a sense of accomplishment. Usually, I'll hunt with a bolt-action repeater until I 'get my buck', then switch over to a single. I'm just slow enough with a bolt-action to make me focus and concentrate on shooting well. I'm not as good with an autoloader. With a single, I have to be good.

_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brent your rifle looks alot like a Ballard or Meacham Hi Wall. Is it? What's the caliber?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
DD, it is neither. It is an original made 120 yrs ago and restored with some help from Ballard and many other people. It was pretty boogered when I got it. The wood is untouched however.

It is .38-72-300

Brent

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I hunt with single shots (#1 and Encores) as well as Levers and Bolts. I do not view single shots as a handicap at all. The particular rifle or hand gun that I may hunt with is simple the one I want to hunt with that day. My single shots are #1 in 7MM Rem, 270 Weatherby and a new #1 in 6.5x55 and Encores in 223 Rem, 7mm08, 308 and 260 with 15" barrels. I have levers in 45-70, 450 Marlin and 358 Win. I have bolts in just about everything under 30 cal. and some I have two in. I'm 62 years old, shot my first deer at age 12 with dads Model 94. I have hunted most seasons since except for a couple when I was in the military. Only once did I need two shots and that was a close in running shot with 270, deer stopped about 20 yds away and I put another one through the lungs. Lost a deer about 5 years ago when on doe management on my lease. I shot the deer in the shoulder at about 70 yds, deer ran into the next county leaving a good blood trail.

Have never kept records, but don't consider single shots be be a handicap. Most of my shots have been at less than 100 yds. Even antelope in Montana and South Dakota. I will be hunting a different lease in Jan and will be using my 257 Roy and 7SAUM and maybe the #1 Swede if it works out ok.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BrentD
DD, it is neither. It is an original made 120 yrs ago and restored with some help from Ballard and many other people. It was pretty boogered when I got it. The wood is untouched however.

It is .38-72-300

Brent

That is one nice lookin rifle. I read that the 38-78-300 can be made from blown out 30-40 Kreg brass. Is that what you do?

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Error on my part, I meant 38-72-300.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nope, mine are made from squeezed down Hornady .405 Win brass. One stroke in the press and a nice perfect case ready to go. If there are a few minor dimensional differences, the reamer I borrowed/rented was made for using this particular brass with RCBS dies. Works like a champ.

Brent

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finished up the season last weekend, deer, elk and antelope all taken with a No. 1. I shot the elk with a No. 1 in 375 H&H, the deer and the antelope both fell to a No. 1 in .243 AI. This makes three years since i've carried a bolt action.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been hunting and shooting single shot rifles for nye on 30yrs. I hunt elk, bears, antelope, muledeer, whitetails, javelina, pasture poodles and other critters with them. Never felt handicapped nor hampered by using single shots. I feel they make you a far better hunter. Don't own a bolt action centerfire, Just Ruger #1's, Browning 78's, TC Encores, Model 1874 Sharps, assorted flintlock and percussion BP guns.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shot a buck and a doe with my T/C pro hunter 20 gauge slug gun last Saturday. I shot the doe on a quick reload.

The Hornady 20 gauge SST slug ammo is very accurate at 100 yards with 3 shot groups less than 1 1/2 inches,but bullet performance was less than stellar.

Doc

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunt occasionally with one of my antique rifles. Sometimes it's a lever action repeater, and sometimes an old singleshot rifle.
Last year it was a Ballard Union Hill in .38-55 that I took this 5x4 mulie with. Midrange vernier rear and globe front. Took him at a bit under 150 yds. from a seated position.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Antiue Marlins and single shot rifles!
NRA Life
OAC Member
HAMF Member
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,596
Posts18,511,323
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.