Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
But is it more expensive per square foot? Seems like if you had a ranch with the same square footage as a two story, including the basement, that had the same total floor space, the ranch would be more expensive.
Generally speaking a basement is the cheapest square footage he will add. If unfinished or minimally finished. Now if you fancy it up as a main living quarter of course you can spend however many dollars a square foot you can afford..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On slab is a big value hit here, few stick builds don't have a basement.
A lot of double wife's and modulars are on a basement.

Know in much of the country they are rare, but I can't imagine not
having one.

Its where the mechanicals live. Where a water heater,
washer, water softener can be out of the way, where it can live
without fear of a leak ruining the house.

Where we store wood and coal, and burn the dirty stuff without
having that mess in the house.

Where you tie the kids up if you want to go away for the weekend, and
don't want to bother with babysitters.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The older suburban homes built in far west Texas often had basements, and I'm talking 1920s construction and maybe up into the 40s. Anything built after WWII probably will be on a slab.

We always had swamp coolers in El Paso. I sure wish they'd work in this part of the country.
Got to ask what are you guys calling a swamp cooler? Water evaporator with a fan?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
my wife....

won't even go into my basement gun/reloading room

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
You can have one here, but you got to have subsoil drains inside and out in pea gravel to a well with a pump. You best have emergency generator too. Outside walls have to be sealed. It’s expensive to do it correctly. You only see basements in commercial building down here.

The Houston Medical center basements flooded in 1976 from a freak 12” rain on June 17. I was working down there, lucky my truck was parked on 2nd floor of parking garage. We made a bunch of double time fixing pumps that were damaged. Electricians made even more.
Footing drains in and out, sump pump and sealed walls are the norm here.

Some won't put in a sump pump but that's pretty fuggin stupid in my opinion, saves maybe $1k at most. Takes less than $3k to do the pump, drain tile and spray the exterior of the walls.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
The older suburban homes built in far west Texas often had basements, and I'm talking 1920s construction and maybe up into the 40s. Anything built after WWII probably will be on a slab.

We always had swamp coolers in El Paso. I sure wish they'd work in this part of the country.
Got to ask what are you guys calling a swamp cooler? Water evaporator with a fan?

Only works in low humidity areas.....SW USA

Big in Utah...PIA upkeep/maintenance

But when humidity rises...swamp coolers no workie

I use whole house AC...220 unit & a 110 mini split unit

Fuggin 92* today

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I watched the home being built next to mine and it took the builder 6 months to chisel out enough rock to put in a foundation. The equipment had to be repaired about every 3 weeks and it took a few days to weld up all the cracks.

So I guess your question on why some homes do not have basements, could be because the homes are built on a rock pile.

All the homes in our neighborhood is slab construction.

Now a subdivision near by has a home that has a partial basement. It took them 1 1/2 years to chisel out the hole for the 1/2 basement for the home.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here ya go. My estimate for our build. Basement is 55x24 plus we will have 30x34 attached garage with 4' walls. Forgot, 55x10 covered porch with room under that porch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/19/22.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by ldholton

Only works in low humidity areas.....SW USA

Big in Utah...PIA upkeep/maintenance

But when humidity rises...swamp coolers no workie

I use whole house AC...220 unit & a 110 mini split unit

Fuggin 92* today
Understand .. 103 here and over 80% humidity.. real AC is struggling

Last edited by ldholton; 07/19/22.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd like a basement at our cabin.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana338
I watched the home being built next to mine and it took the builder 6 months to chisel out enough rock to put in a foundation. The equipment had to be repaired about every 3 weeks and it took a few days to weld up all the cracks.

So I guess your question on why some homes do not have basements, could be because the homes are built on a rock pile.

Now a subdivision near by has a home that has a partial basement. It took them 1 1/2 years to chisel out the hole for the 1/2 basement for the home.
2 or 3 days at the most with a big hoe and a breaker.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Best place to built a walk in basement vault/safe-----(conditions permitting)

In an empty corner...only have to frame 2 walls & the roof/cap.....door of course

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Water table were I live is to high for a basement..

Ted
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They started putting basements in in Utah due to the Freeze in the winter and have the pipes so deap.
it was easier just to bring the pipes into a basement.
Where I am in Commyfornia there are no basements.
I was going to dig one in as I am on a mostly raised foundation.
I was talking to Realtors and Contractors and found out that going down did nothing for your home value where I am at but going up did.
I still wanted the basement and after fighting the boulders in my back yard knowing that they get bigger the deeper you get. I gave up on the Basement idea.

Now I am just trying to get out of Commyfornia.

Last edited by funshooter; 07/19/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by old_willys
Water table were I live is to high for a basement..

conditions permitting

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

I hope whoever is doing that provides the Vaseline. We got three Rock breakers I know a bit about this and that is horrible it should be a lawsuit involved.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

2 or 3 days at the most with a big hoe and a breaker.

Evidently D. R. Horton does not know how to build a house

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Best place to built a walk in basement vault/safe-----(conditions permitting)

In an empty corner...only have to frame 2 walls & the roof/cap.....door of course
Best place to put a vault door and make a concrete vault it's actually in the back of your basement underneath your front porch. Dig everything full depth where you have 8 or 9 ft 10 ft if you want basement walls and front porch wall is the same height. Take a few extra steps and seal the concrete cap that is your front porch is an awesome place for gun vault. One thing people don't realize when they put a safe in the basement if your house ever catches fire all the heat ashes and cold settle around your safe and make it into a oven.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
anything underground will leak. period. end of discussion.

Alabama, basement leaked. Storm shelter, anything underground in Alabama will leak, unless you get a metal or fiberglass box
Virginia, daylight basement. leaked. fortunately we were renting so not my problem.
Washington, same type daylight basement leaked. this place we owned and had to rip out the wall covering 3 times in 15 years and try to seal it up. Finally sold it after patching the 3rd time, I'm sure by now the new owners know ...it leaks.

our final house in Alabama- Slab foundation. I can buy air conditioners all day for what dealing with a headache of leaking basement and associated repair costs.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.