Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
If the building site is slightly elevated on the lot, can strategically placed culverts around the basement, that taper off to lower ground, prevent leaking?
Preventing leaking making sure the walls are correctly poured and vibrated when they are poured. Sealing them correctly having the French drain in and using plenty of gravel. Getting the grade correct and water running away from the building is essential also same way with guttering getting the water away from the building will lessen the chance of anything leaking should something in the other process go wrong. The proper grading and guttering is not a replacement for proper draining and sealing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the building site is slightly elevated on the lot, can strategically placed culverts around the basement, that taper off to lower ground, prevent leaking?
Or don't stick it so deep in the ground. Better for drainage and termite issues.

We are going with 9' walls and my hole won't be 5' deep. Gives me 4' if level and I will add 1-2' of dirt to drain away from the house. So 2-3' of exposed foundation.

No reason to go 7 or 8' deep and have siding right down against the ground. Long downspouts too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by old_willys
Water table were I live is to high for a basement..

conditions permitting

When I was a kid. My dad wanted to expand his basement/root cellar to make more room for us kids.
The entire family kicked in helping.
He had a Company come in and shore up the house and install a conveyor belt system and we started hand digging after school , on the weekends and when ever we had any time we dug.
when we got finished my dad placed the concrete floor built the walls put up the drywall and painted.
My Brother and I had our own bedrooms and then we had a wet season hit and our basement became a shallow pond.

My dad ask anyone he could what to do.
Well we jacked the house back up, he placed 6 inches of gravel over the concrete floor and then placed another 5 inch concrete slab over the gravel. Installed a sump pump to pump out the water seeping into the gravel.
That pumped pumped on and off for about 15 years and then stopped never to pump to this day.

The ground water dropped and if and when the ground water rises again my sister will have to deal with it because it is her home now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
Preventing leaking making sure the walls are correctly poured and vibrated when they are poured. Sealing them correctly having the French drain in and using plenty of gravel. Getting the grade correct and water running away from the building is essential also same way with guttering getting the water away from the building will lessen the chance of anything leaking should something in the other process go wrong. The proper grading and guttering is not a replacement for proper draining and sealing
By pard owns a foundation company, says we will backfill with as much gravel as I can afford. Of course not all the way up either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The grass-fed basements are the best.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Water kills the grass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Here ya go. My estimate for our build. Basement is 55x24 plus we will have 30x34 attached garage with 4' walls.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No, just no

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a full basement, partially finished, poured concrete walls and floor. Tiled the finished area with ceramic tile. Very temperature stable and quiet. I also have a tornado room in the basement, heavy steel door, and the roof of the tornado room is my concrete front porch.

Finished area for my hunting trophies and some furniture, and one of my safes. Separate room for my reloading equipment etc. No sump pump, no leaks in 22 years. I do run a dehumidifier set to keep humidity to 55% or less.

Last edited by badger; 07/19/22.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by strikeu
anything underground will leak. period. end of discussion.

Alabama, basement leaked. Storm shelter, anything underground in Alabama will leak, unless you get a metal or fiberglass box
Virginia, daylight basement. leaked. fortunately we were renting so not my problem.
Washington, same type daylight basement leaked. this place we owned and had to rip out the wall covering 3 times in 15 years and try to seal it up. Finally sold it after patching the 3rd time, I'm sure by now the new owners know ...it leaks.

our final house in Alabama- Slab foundation. I can buy air conditioners all day for what dealing with a headache of leaking basement and associated repair costs.
Or just get a good contractor . Problem solved

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
"one of the very most efficient and affordable homes to build and maintain at least in this area is a berm house , which for those that don't know was basically a walkout basement with a roof."

I know of two of these. Very easy / cheap to heat and cool; but both had moisture / humidity control issues. Any suggestions?

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My small house is augmented big time by a basement IMO. Finished laundry room, & a small guest bedroom. Reloading room, work space, a vault room, & parking for at least a couple motorcycles & 2 medium size vehicles.

Looking back on build cost it was 8-10 percent of the total as I recall. Of course that could have increased substantially had we hit the solid limestone that's common here. We didn't.

Growing up I lived in 2 hoses with basements, & saw in my eyes how handy they were. Couldn't imagine not having one of my own. Should a tornado take my house, all I need is some trusses, sheeting & roof material & I'm under roof & secure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by strikeu
anything underground will leak. period. end of discussion.

Alabama, basement leaked. Storm shelter, anything underground in Alabama will leak, unless you get a metal or fiberglass box
Virginia, daylight basement. leaked. fortunately we were renting so not my problem.
Washington, same type daylight basement leaked. this place we owned and had to rip out the wall covering 3 times in 15 years and try to seal it up. Finally sold it after patching the 3rd time, I'm sure by now the new owners know ...it leaks.

our final house in Alabama- Slab foundation. I can buy air conditioners all day for what dealing with a headache of leaking basement and associated repair costs.
Or just get a good contractor . Problem solved
Yep. Drain tile inside of footing and out plus a sump pump solves a lot of issues. I know of one buddy that has 2 pumps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
"one of the very most efficient and affordable homes to build and maintain at least in this area is a berm house , which for those that don't know was basically a walkout basement with a roof."

I know of two of these. Very easy / cheap to heat and cool; but both had moisture / humidity control issues. Any suggestions?
Any idea if outside of walls were sprayed with waterproofing?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/19/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think construction techniques have a come along way. Most of Michigan has a high water table and gets a decent amount of snowmelt and rain. Our primary home was built in 2000 and has never had water in the basement. Our second house was built in 1961. At that time basements were dug and then backfilled with the same dirt. It’s a heavy clay soil and that house and most of my neighbors homes built around the same time all get water after a heavy rain. The newer house was backfilled with a sandier mix of dirt that drains. The older house with the clay soil when it freezes while retaining water creates a hydraulic effect. It hasn’t caused structural problems but does let water in when the ground is saturated.

It has a sump pump that prevents any flooding or standing water but it’s obviously not carpeted and not suited for a living area or storing items directly on the ground.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You’re using the ground’s constant temp to your advantage. You essentially build a basement but instead of framing a floor system and walls on top, just frame a ceiling/ roof instead.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Bwana338
I watched the home being built next to mine and it took the builder 6 months to chisel out enough rock to put in a foundation. The equipment had to be repaired about every 3 weeks and it took a few days to weld up all the cracks.

So I guess your question on why some homes do not have basements, could be because the homes are built on a rock pile.

All the homes in our neighborhood is slab construction.

Now a subdivision near by has a home that has a partial basement. It took them 1 1/2 years to chisel out the hole for the 1/2 basement for the home.
I hope whoever is doing that provides the Vaseline. We got three Rock breakers I know a bit about this and that is horrible it should be a lawsuit involved.
My thoughts exactly. Our county sits on heavy rock and 1 subdivision in our town had 3 or 4 houses built on rock. Big hoe, breaker and pad the rock base after you get it out. Bet he wasn't a week on each.
Around here they blast out and haul it off in Euc’s.
Blast close to existing homes and you will have issues.
In an existing development it sure can. When a developer has to deal with rock in a new development, commercial or residential, any blasting that has to be done is done before the first footers are poured. Of course it depends on just how much rock is involved as to how they deal with it.
Around here, if you have cedar trees you know you have lime stone underneath them. It’s a given.
But you are right, When TVA built the Tellico dam the blasting cracked the foundations on houses up to 4 miles away.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Without actually seeing it to know if there's an issue the first thing I would do is a good dehumidifier and see if that takes care of your issue. And maybe I attic fan ventilation system in the roof

Last edited by ldholton; 07/19/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can pay for a lot of juice for a/c for the cost of a basement.

In this dry climate, a swamp cooler works very well. However, a few years ago, my mother got generous and paid for a/c for our house. I couldn't turn her down.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you can get a cheap piece of property that us solid rock, I mean really solid rock outcrops you hire a guy like me to come in with an Ingersol tracked drill like used on highway cuts or I could easily just use an compressor with an old shaft sinking hammer used for sinking mine shafts and do it by hand. You line drill the perimeter of the basement and put in a few lines across the interior and it can be blasted or easily chipped out with an excavator hammer. The precise line drilling with drill steel will do a fine outline and make busting up the rock much faster as well.

There's also no need for sumps or the like. Dig or drill a spot for a gravel dry well and slope the floor to drain to a trough with an small grate atop and there's never an issue. I know a lot about this and did it as an profession.

The construction guys sitting in excavator cabs chipping away at rock wasting time and money are laughable. Get someone who has real time drilling, boring, and working with ground.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Or just don’t buy a fugking Rock . Fugk that

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.