Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Not sure what Mormon crickets are, but they are plowing them off the roads with graders in ID...

Unreal video.

https://katu.com/news/local/video-mormon-crickets-plowed-off-idaho-highway

Google Fu Per Wiki:
The Mormon cricket (Anabrus simplex) is a large insect that can grow to almost 8 cm (3 inches) in length. It lives throughout western North America in rangelands dominated by sagebrush and forbs. Despite its name, the Mormon cricket is actually a shieldbacked katydid. It takes its name from Mormon settlers in Utah, who encountered them while pushing westward, and for the prominent role they play in the miracle of the gulls.[1]

Although flightless, the Mormon cricket is capable of traveling up to two kilometers a day[2] in its swarming phase, during which it is a serious agricultural pest and traffic hazard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Not sure what Mormon crickets are, but they are plowing them off the roads with graders in ID...

Unreal video.

https://katu.com/news/local/video-mormon-crickets-plowed-off-idaho-highway

Google Fu Per Wiki:
The Mormon cricket (Anabrus simplex) is a large insect that can grow to almost 8 cm (3 inches) in length. It lives throughout western North America in rangelands dominated by sagebrush and forbs. Despite its name, the Mormon cricket is actually a shieldbacked katydid. It takes its name from Mormon settlers in Utah, who encountered them while pushing westward, and for the prominent role they play in the miracle of the gulls.[1]

Although flightless, the Mormon cricket is capable of traveling up to two kilometers a day[2] in its swarming phase, during which it is a serious agricultural pest and traffic hazard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those are some bigguns!

I reckon we just have regular Jiminy crickets down here... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
Originally Posted by longarm
Sam and 1minute,
Good Gawd, that is terrible! Sorry to see it.

I collect yellow jackets and hornets. Well, normally I do.. there just isn't anything yet. Last year was a poor year as well for me but this year I have less than a 10th of what I had this day a year ago in the freezer. It's a complete wash for wasps here.
I've heard folks mention bug populations dying off but I didn't pay much attention to it until that drive last night. Normally I would expect my windshield to be completely pasted with moths and gnats and midges and whatever.. Just nothing.
Gotta ask, what do you do with frozen wasps?

Schmidt
Their venom is used in the making of immunotherapy shots for those folks who are very allergic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some portions of our Hwy. 205 south have the same look as that depicted in the cricket video. As the mass moves on, the tire track paths are a different color due to the bodies integrated into the pavement.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/23/22.

1Minute
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Valsdad
I have 35 years collection records here of vespids... Even the bad years have been nothing like this so far. It's a head scratcher.
Last night's drive really made me start to wonder..

Anyway how did your garlic turn out this year?
Dano

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bugs are bad where I live.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not as well as hoped.

Good plants, small heads, even though I used large cloves for seed. Last season's was great. I moved to another bed for rotational purposes in the garden. Topped off the bed with a good dose of my chicken coop litter compost, like I had done to the other bed last year and was hoping for a banner crop again. No such luck.

Could a rather cold spring have done it? Last frost was about the 20th of June. Still had warm days as is usual with all our sunshine, but nights stayed cool for a long time.

Funny you ask, as I was thinking of asking if you have a couple of heads I might start over with, I'd sure appreciate it. Any variety. I've got some but wonder if they'll just get smaller next season?

Need any taters? I think I'll have way more than we'll need. Something like 50 plants out there between the two gardens.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We have plenty in KY if you need some.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
5G. There, I said it. Lol

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to the Liberals, bugs have moved out of Oregon.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
My windshield is covered with dead bugs, 8 mile ride thru irrigated fields to get to town picks up most of them.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
come to So Dakota we have enough for the whole country

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So far, mosquitoes have been almost nonexistent around my neck of the woods. I’m not complaining.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skinner
So far, mosquitoes have been almost nonexistent around my neck of the woods. I’m not complaining.
That's been about the biggest benefit of this drought.

But, it also means our little tree frogs didn't get much breeding done either.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Judging from the Swat-a-thon I'm having at my place, I'd say they are all in my kitchen.......

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.