Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Youse guys saying it was her fault for having blueberries in the tent. BS. Its not like that bear couldnt take the berries away. Youse guys think she fought the bear for the berries or something.

I got one better than she slept with the berries. Her real problem was she didnt sleep in the hotel. Bad move No 1.
Bad move No 2 was she didnt have a gun and choot it when it was huffing at her head.

That bear wanted meat.

Cause No 3. There is no grizzly bear season and the bears not asceered of humans aint freakin kilt.

Sheesh.
The problem, Jag, is that keeping a steak dinner and dessert in th same ziplock bag was just too tempting for the poor bear.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Im ust glad you growed up, MB.
He was pissed for awhile.

You guys should have come right away to get me!

But, we had to think about our options. We had more than you did and it took some considering!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Youse guys saying it was her fault for having blueberries in the tent. BS. Its not like that bear couldnt take the berries away. Youse guys think she fought the bear for the berries or something.

I got one better than she slept with the berries. Her real problem was she didnt sleep in the hotel. Bad move No 1.
Bad move No 2 was she didnt have a gun and choot it when it was huffing at her head.

That bear wanted meat.

Cause No 3. There is no grizzly bear season and the bears not asceered of humans aint freakin kilt.

Sheesh.
The problem, Jag, is that keeping a steak dinner and dessert in th same ziplock bag was just too tempting for the poor bear.

Crap. I didnt tink about that. Biotch gotta die fo dat.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
Did I read that right? Did they blow whistles at an enraged 400+ lb grizzly thinking it would do the trick?
I laughed so hard I snorted when I read that "ran out of their tent blowing a whistle", that's too much!!!!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Did I read that right? Did they blow whistles at an enraged 400+ lb grizzly thinking it would do the trick?

Yep. Made me laugh. Either really brave or REALLY STUPID. 🤪

Every place I’ve ever camped in a tent in bear country, I slept with a Glock 10mm loaded with 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore 220 gr Hard Cast Outdoorsman loads.
I won't even go into the woods of Kentucky without a weapon. We have some black bears, coyotes, and feral dogs, but I mainly worry about the two legged meth sucking snakes.

First thing that always comes to mind when I read a story like this. Why weren’t these tree hugging idiots armed ! 🤪
Only Feral Hogs, Coyotes, Snakes, and wetbacks here. But I’d never go unarmed. Even If I’m only stepping out on the back porch to piss at night, there’s a Ruger LCP 380 in my shorts pocket. 😬

Whole lot of stupid on this thread. Especially the Texans.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just like a woman.

Gets eaten til she can't take any more, and still complains.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That bear wanted meat.

Sheesh.

Damn Doc. You nailed it. Especially after spooking the bear off the first time.

This isn't to say bad judgement elsewhere doesn't exist. Pard and I were asleep in a tent (on a trail beside a salmon stream) on the Noatak when I heard some splashing, that stopped short of our tent, paused a bit, then resumed on the upstream side. It had reached our tent, crossed the stream to go around, and recrossed to hit the trail.

I nudged my Lab awake- he sat up, sniffed once, barked "BEAR!" and flopped back down again.

Helluva bear-warning dog.

Last edited by las; 07/23/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When you're in grizzly country, experts recommend wearing"bear bells" (yeah, that's a real thing) carrying a whistle, and bear spray. You'll know there's grizzlies in the area because the bear schidt is full of bells & whistles and smells like bear spray.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Remsen
Dear Grizz:

Thank you for doing your part to keep Montana free from Californians.

Extra points for being a bicyclist as well.

Did the bear eat the bicycle also?

Crap as a 17 year old in the summer of 69, me and 15 other guys hiked close to 250 miles or so in a couple of weeks, in Glacier and Waterton National Parks.... we were east coast kids in a Scout Troop.... and had enough sense to not sleep anywhere near your food...

and yeah, we had the presence of Grizzleys on the trip.... even having to scare a few off... and kept a bear guard up in camp, taking a hour turn
of staying up watch.. like a fire guard in the Army....

but then I learned back then also... you couldn't tell a Californian Much.... they knew everything.. and better than anyone else did...

May Ms Lokan Rest in Peace... sorry for her family's loss....

She should have stayed in California, in her suburban home. and cycled around her neighborhood...

250 miles in 2 weeks? That's nearly 18 miles per day. Are you sure it wasn't a Sourdough hike - 50 miles? I did a few of those back in the day (2 in the Ouachita Nat'l Forest and 1 in the Crockett Nat'l Forest) and our longest day was about 20 miles and we were all beat.

That's actually not that hard to do, tho tiring on a repeated daily basis. Fuggin kids thrive on that stuff! . A 10 hour hike at 2.5 miles per hour gives you 25 miles. Factor in rest breaks and that drops to 18 or so. BTDT.

A couple years ago my wife, two dogs (one a Dachshund) and another couple did a day-long 15 mile hike (Lost Lake Trail out of Seward). Encumbered only with day packs, it was IIRC, only about 8 hours. The dogs probably did a few more miles on side-trip hunting excursions.

On the trip home:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My toughest hike ever was humping out a pack of camp/sheep meat that exceeded my own weight of 150#. It took me two 14 hour days to cover 18 miles, but that included over the top of 5300 foot mountain from 2500 on either end. (I used to be much taller...... smile. )

John Muir was reputed to cover 30 miles a day, tho I have to admit, I don't think he ever saw much scenery except his boot laces. Or else fell down a lot..... smile

Back in my back-pack hunting days, I several times carried out 100 or so pounds of meat/camp, 10.5 miles from one of my favorite hunting spots. It was mostly downhill, but still it was only about a 6 hour hike.

I was young then.....

Last edited by las; 07/23/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by losttrail60

Yep. Made me laugh. Either really brave or REALLY STUPID. 🤪

Every place I’ve ever camped in a tent in bear country, I slept with a Glock 10mm loaded with 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore 220 gr Hard Cast Outdoorsman loads.
I won't even go into the woods of Kentucky without a weapon. We have some black bears, coyotes, and feral dogs, but I mainly worry about the two legged meth sucking snakes.

First thing that always comes to mind when I read a story like this. Why weren’t these tree hugging idiots armed ! 🤪
Only Feral Hogs, Coyotes, Snakes, and wetbacks here. But I’d never go unarmed. Even If I’m only stepping out on the back porch to piss at night, there’s a Ruger LCP 380 in my shorts pocket. 😬

Whole lot of stupid on this thread. Especially the Texans.
Spoken like a true authority....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by viking
She was luckier then that Timothy dude up in Alaska.. If I recall there was recordings of that attack that will never be released.
There are.

Wow,

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Roughly How many grizz are there in Montana? 800-1200? Does the FWS STAZI even know.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
10Glocks that is an interesting story. I live in N.Carolina and I never heard of "Bear Lady."

She was 5 foot 11 and when she was young, worked as a prostitute in Las Vegas. In the NC swamps at age 73 she lived in a broken down trailer with no running water and no electricity. Good Lord imagine the heat in August.

Here is an article on her.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/article_8edc7b00-83cc-5aa7-9998-a5671bc00b89.html

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That prostitute thing was just a theory suggested by a niece.

Here's another story.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/what-killed-bear-lady/

The similarities between her and Timothy Treadwell are many. She called the bears "my bears." She got way too familiar with them. She actually let them come into her trailer. She hand fed them. And was warned many times that these bears would kill her if they got hungry enough. There is some disagreement as to the cause of her death, but there is no disagreement that her body was eaten after she died. "He said it’s even possible that the bears carried her into the woods, thinking they were protecting her." Yeah, that's what they did. :rollseyes:

The one thing I do agree with it that there is a substantial amount of bear poaching going on there. I actually carry a handgun when I'm out in that area as much for self protection from the poaching redneck as I do bears. I remember some poachers getting arrested for baiting bears with barrels of fish and peppermint candy. You can use bear hounds in NC, but can't bait.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by viking
She was luckier then that Timothy dude up in Alaska.. If I recall there was recordings of that attack that will never be released.
There are.

Damn.

That fox doesn't even flinch.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 264mag
When you're in grizzly country, experts recommend wearing"bear bells" (yeah, that's a real thing) carrying a whistle, and bear spray. You'll know there's grizzlies in the area because the bear schidt is full of bells & whistles and smells like bear spray.

Never heard that one before.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I am not afraid of bears, I am only afraid of being attacked by bears. For reference.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's what sharing a tent with Gruff is like.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Well between all the chow in the area, and a couple of funky snatches from bicycle riding all day long out and about in the lovely wilderness.
Where you are most def not top of the pyramid food chain wise in the land of drizzly bears.
And not having a BFP ( Big fuuucking pistol) to at least have a minimal chance of dumping a couple of rounds into Mr. Olafatory aroused Grizzly fuuucking Bear...

You pretty much are asking to be fuuuucking attacked and killed...

People are fuuucking morons and like to feel they have a special bond with wild animals that no one else has, it's just them with this special bond and no one else.
They love to talk about it also...
Then they cant anymore when they are 6 ft under or in a urn.
Cause Boo- Boo and Yogi ate the fuuuck outta them at Jellystone NP...

Homie don't swim in the fuuucking ocean either, you become part of the food chain when you do that stupid schit.

Jaws back in the day and then seeing shark nets with holes in them big enough to drive a VW thru, and hammer heads swimming out side the net at the beach down at Ft Sherman 1 day.
Convinced me swimming in the ocean was a thing of the past for homie.

At least on land you can carry a big fuuuucking gun in apex predator land....
The ocean you options are pretty limited to a 12 ga bangstick or a pitiful azz spear gun.

Plenty of people right now swimming in the ocean on the east coast getting fuuucked up by sharks also....

Some of em probably stupid azz fugging women on rag time leaving a good scent to zero in on.

People are fuuucking stupid.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I see a lot of these people on tiktok

Tripods set up 25 yards from a grizzly sow and a cub. Standing there narrating and shooting the shît with another aloof homo photographer.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bicycle as your primary mode of transportation? Nothing to eat but lentils and a potato stuffed into a saddlebag?

I'd say the bear did her a favor.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,684
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.