-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
An interesting observation and not a PSA or anything Earth shattering but...

My GF likes songbirds so we have plenty of feeders including two suet feeders. I like shooting all the squirrels and chipmunks that also seem to like the feeders so it's a win-win situation.

Lately, the crows have taken a liking to the suet feeders so it has given me new and exciting target opportunities. Yesterday a large group of crows descended on the suet feeders and the shooting began. After there were six on the ground they decided something wasn't right with the suet and flocked off.

Since the GF doesn't like little bodies littering the backyard I dutifully broke out the bucket and pooperscooper. Wholly Crap it looked like a crime scene in the backyard. Must have been three quarts of blood on the ground. Didn't know crows bled out like that.

I've shot plenty of crows with a shotgun but drilling them with a .22 is a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Fun times...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
An interesting observation and not a PSA or anything Earth shattering but...

My GF likes songbirds so we have plenty of feeders including two suet feeders. I like shooting all the squirrels and chipmunks that also seem to like the feeders so it's a win-win situation.

Lately, the crows have taken a liking to the suet feeders so it has given me new and exciting target opportunities. Yesterday a large group of crows descended on the suet feeders and the shooting began. After there were six on the ground they decided something wasn't right with the suet and flocked off.

Since the GF doesn't like little bodies littering the backyard I dutifully broke out the bucket and pooperscooper. Wholly Crap it looked like a crime scene in the backyard. Must have been three quarts of blood on the ground. Didn't know crows bled out like that.

I've shot plenty of crows with a shotgun but drilling them with a .22 is a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Fun times...
I shoot a lot of pigeons at work. 177 cal air rifle, they're a nuisance and its a lot of equipment that isn't conducive to a 22lr or .17 . Occasionally crows land as well making targets of opportunity. Shot one a while back a little low ,watched him fly off about 30 yards and go down. Left a blood Trail better than some deer ive shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a lot of crows coming to my suet feeder in the several weeks but they've disappeared now. They were feeding their babies. I have 5 routinely come, and it appears it's a momma, daddy, and three nearly-full sized, loudmouth babies. The babies would sit on the fence and squawk with their mouths wide open and the momma and daddy would feed them. I started throwing bread and peanuts to them and got to the point the momma and daddy would nearly come to me to get the food. They've moved off now so I assume the babies didn't need that kind of attention. Never shot any of them, I actually liked them.

Birds that need to be shot are starlings and brown headed cowbirds. The brown headed cowbirds lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and they hatch first and kick the remaining eggs out, and the birds whose nest it is is tricked into raising the cowbird. If the songbird senses the cowbird egg is foreign and kicks it out of the nest, the female cowbird that laid it will tear the nest up completely and destroy any eggs in it. Nasty ass little birds. They flock in by the dozens in early spring. Sometimes with starlings. Killing a brown headed cowbird does every other bird in the area a favor.

Any bird carcass gets tossed behind the fence. The opossums clean them up at night. Never had a carcass laying around the next morning.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here in north Georgia crows are a pest. They routinely eat songbird eggs and kill nestlings so they are a nuisance in addition to the noise they make. So I thin the herd every chance I get along with the squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits that destroy our flowerbeds. They will not be allowed to win.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 07/24/22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Actually have a crow season here in Oregon
Crow Statewide Oct. 1 - Jan. 31, 2023

We're at about 4,500 elevation, so have mostly ravens. Some crows though in the summer months.

Yet to meet a hunter anywhere that's eagerly awaiting the season.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/24/22.

1Minute
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Shooting a crow with a 222 REM hollow point, feathers everywhere.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crows here took a real beating from West Nile virus. Ravens seem more common. I let them slide in the yard just like the rabbits and squirrels. In the field, different story for all of them. Crows, like Yotes, need to be kept “honest” with regular pressure, lest they get too pushy.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.