Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think they can make more hooks.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What to the cool, rich fisherman have against pliers?

I carry an assortment with me when I go. I don't purposely fish for sharks but sometimes I catch a small one. Even the little ones have sharp enough teeth to cut the heck out of you if not get a finger. The big ass pair of pliers is for holding the shark by the bottom jaw while I get the hook out with the needle nose. Then I pitch him back in the water. If I ever got one I didn't want in the boat with me I would just cut the line but that will never happen because his teeth would take care of my leader long before it came to that.

As an aside, if I catch a stingray, I flip him over on his back and put a dipnet over his tail. Use the two plier method to extract hook. Then scoop stingray up with dipnet and pitch him back in the water.

Don't even have to touch either.

Last edited by RJY66; 07/25/22.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sharks are like a dog.

A friend went fishing offshore with me in Biloxi, he was trying to catch a Wahoo that would dart at his lure.

It had jumped once and sailed down the side of the boat, I told him he better stop speed reeling that lure straight back towards himself. To reel in with the rod-tip out to his side. Seconds later that Wahoo flies past him then me. As it passed to my right side it turned and snapped at my face about 3-4 feet away.
He was wide-eyed and I'm sure I was too.

It cleared the length a a 22+ foot boat stem to stern.

ol_mike, I'm not following the point of your post.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cut them off. Tie on another wire and hook and proceed with all fingers aboard.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Love to see him jaw grab a bluefish.

I see dumfuks try to unhook them using their fingers all of the time. I'm surprised more people don't lose fingers. Sometimes those Blues chomp down so hard on the lure that I need 2 pairs of needle nose. You wedge one pair in to spread the jaws open and the other pair to get the lure unhooked. The power of their jaws is incredible.

I watched this dude catch this shark one day and he knew what the hell he was doing. He used channel locks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by StoneCutter; 07/25/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higginez
Two in the pink and one in the drink!
Sunofabish.

That one got a good laugh out of me!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Play with shark, get bit. I kill everyone I have to catch. When the sharks and jacks are bad, I fish single strength 8/0 hooks that'll straighten out before you get the varmint to the boat. Sometimes when were catching big kingfish and using double strength hooks, I just cut line and give the varmints the sea witch, hooks and leader.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sharks are like a dog.

A friend went fishing offshore with me in Biloxi, he was trying to catch a Wahoo that would dart at his lure.

It had jumped once and sailed down the side of the boat, I told him he better stop speed reeling that lure straight back towards himself. To reel in with the rod-tip out to his side. Seconds later that Wahoo flies past him then me. As it passed to my right side it turned and snapped at my face about 3-4 feet away.

So it's not just me?

What the heck does a wahoo have to do with sharks being like dogs?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All 3 of them live in the ocean?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ol Mike, people have no idea how high a Wahoo or King can jump straight up - until they see if for themselves they would never believe it.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sharks are like a dog.

So it's not just me?

Ever have a redfish/mahi-mahi/tuna try and bite you? The shark attacked the guy, bit and spun his finger off. A wahoo will when gaffed or on the deck will sling its head around and purposely try to bite you.

Another friend Todd was trying to hit a wahoo in the head with a nylon mallet that we used for a knocker outer. Probably luck but the wahoo dodged the mallet 2-3 times then sunk its teeth into the handle. They played tug-a-war for several seconds as we laughed.

I've seen King Mackerel bought onboard still 'green' sliding on the deck biting the leaning post legs as they slid past it. Fast slashing bites. Ever see a snapper/grouper do that?
I heard about a Barracuda flipping off of a small gaff, it bit the back of a fishermans ankle and foot really bad, ended the trip.

And, one more, I was walking downstairs on the Production deck on an Offshore drilling rig south pass, Venice, La.. BJ Hughes hand Tommy had caught a huge eel 5-6' long. I thought it was a hose hanging partially overboard [dark but not good lighting in that spot] it sprang into action like a cornered dog trying to bite me. Scared the hell out of me.
A Production hand walking the same way saw it happen, said I did some great high-steppin. It was mentioned in the weekly Safety Meeting, no leaving big eels unattended.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Dogfish... try wiki.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Ol Mike, people have no idea how high a Wahoo or King can jump straight up - until they see if for themselves they would never believe it.
It still really has nothing to do with his statement about sharks being like a dog.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dogfish... try wiki.

So do catfish, and batfish, and lizardfish.

What does that have to do with a wahoo jumping past a boat and sharks being like dogs?

In it is contentment

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Offshoreman

Offshoreman,

Yes, speaking of speed, seeing a wildcat Marlin swimming so fast it shoots through one wave and through the next at lightening speed. Watching them greyhound as on their side is equally amazing and they sometimes really air one out the length of a house.

I read that big game fish miss the lures very often because they're going so slow and they aren't used to that.

We caught a lot of fish -fishing with high-speed trolling methods. Dragging lures 20 knots, the hook-up is a thing of beauty, boom a Penn Tuna Stick is laid down - drag screaming. Sure miss that and a fridge full of tuna/wahoo.

Posted by Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Dogfish... try wiki.

So do catfish, and batfish, and lizardfish.

What does that have to do with a wahoo jumping past a boat and sharks being like dogs?

ATTACK

Posted by Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
When the guy grabbed the shark it turned and bit him, grab a biting type dog and it will turn and bite you. Point being > know that a shark ''knows'' to bite you, know that a dog knows to bite you.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When the guy grabbed the shark it turned and bit him, grab a biting type dog and it will turn and bite you. Point being > know that a shark ''knows'' to bite you, know that a dog knows to bite you.
Where does the flying wahoo fit in with biting sharks...................or dogs?

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 3' dogfish (mudshark) bite in half a black mouth salmon that I had almost reeled in.

I got to keep the front half of the salmon.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I had a 3' dogfish (mudshark) bite in half a black mouth salmon that I had almost reeled in.

I got to keep the front half of the salmon.

Dogfish are a big reason I don’t bother mooching anymore.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.