Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sharks are like a dog.

A friend went fishing offshore with me in Biloxi, he was trying to catch a Wahoo that would dart at his lure.

It had jumped once and sailed down the side of the boat, I told him he better stop speed reeling that lure straight back towards himself. To reel in with the rod-tip out to his side. Seconds later that Wahoo flies past him then me. As it passed to my right side it turned and snapped at my face about 3-4 feet away.
He was wide-eyed and I'm sure I was too.

It cleared the length a a 22+ foot boat stem to stern.

ol_mike, I'm not following the point of your post.

So it's not just me?

What the heck does a wahoo have to do with sharks being like dogs?

Teeth?

By that reasoning.............

mice are like a dog.

possums are like a dog

bats are like a dog

sheep are like a dog.

Women are like a dog..

smile

I don't like it when they bite either.

Nibble maybe?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fish story, We were way out of south pass, Louisiana ?80? miles, Venice, out at two big semi-submersible rigs, big floaters.
Cobalt blue water and a fish day, saw a huge whale bigger than the 36' Bertram.

We caught a 74 & 71 lb wahoo that day several nice yellowfin, nothing over 120 lbs, and a three I think Blue Marlin. Mahi, I don't even keep up with them.

Caught a smallish blue marlin maybe 175 lbs. it smacks into the side of the boat haulin ass and breaks 6-7'' off of its bill. The bill is stuck in a fuel vent on the starboard side, I told my buddy Steve who owns the boat, he said get it, it'll make a nice coffee table piece.

So Ted and I are working on the fish, he cut the line in front of the hook without telling me. < Fish was hooked near its eye, 12ot hook.
I lift the rod up and the $100+ lure we got in Kona slips off the end and is sinking. I toss my sunglasses step up on the stern going into dive position and Ted grabs me and says NO, my thought was what the hell are you doing I'm going to dive in and grab one our best lures.
Ted has an odd look on his face as he holds me back then points out why I shouldn't dive in. A huge Mako was down behind the boat and I hadn't seen it. I would have dove right into its face. He could very well have saved my life because it was after the marlin that Ted was holding onto what was left of its bill. Ted is about 6'7 or 8'' tall & 350lbs.

We had to spin a couple of circles with the boat so the shark would lose sight of the Marlin.
I was barely able to pull the marlins broken piece of bill out of the vent, he rammed it in there really good.

The sight and thought of that monster shark, my butt stays in the boat !!!

Great fish story, mike.

I've dove in after sunglasses more than once. One time, when I came up to the surface, there was a redfish tailing right in front of my face. Right near a bull shark, captain told me after I got back in the boat. smile

dirt, Was that before or after Croakies were invented? wink

Ol mike. best to never go in the water?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Took that pinky right off.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fish story, We were way out of south pass, Louisiana ?80? miles, Venice, out at two big semi-submersible rigs, big floaters.

We caught a 74 & 71 lb wahoo that day several nice yellowfin, nothing over 120 lbs, and a three I think Blue Marlin. Mahi, I don't even keep up with them.

Caught a smallish blue marlin maybe 175 lbs. it smacks into the side of the boat haulin ass and breaks 6-7'' off of its bill. The bill is stuck in a fuel vent on the starboard side, I told my buddy Steve who owns the boat, he said get it, it'll make a nice coffee table piece.

So Ted and I are working on the fish, he cut the line in front of the hook without telling me. < Fish was hooked near its eye, 12ot hook.
I lift the rod up and the $100+ lure we got in Kona slips off the end and is sinking. I toss my sunglasses step up on the stern going into dive position and Ted grabs me and says NO, my thought was what the hell are you doing I'm going to dive in and grab one our best lures.
Ted has an odd look on his face as he holds me back then points out why I shouldn't dive in. A huge Mako was down behind the boat and I hadn't seen it. I would have dove right into its face. He could very well have saved my life because it was after the marlin that Ted was holding onto what was left of its bill. Ted is about 6'7 or 8'' tall & 350lbs.

We had to spin a couple of circles with the boat so the shark would lose sight of the Marlin.
I was barely able to pull the marlins broken piece of bill out of the vent, he rammed it in there really good.

Great fish story, mike.

I've dove in after sunglasses more than once. One time, when I came up to the surface, there was a redfish tailing right in front of my face. Right near a bull shark, captain told me after I got back in the boat. smile

I won't wade across an ankle deep creek, bull sharks have swam from the Gulf of Mexico to far northern Alberta. I think that's what I heard

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Great fish story, mike.

Geno, that was after. I just didn't like them on that pair of glasses. Dumm. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Great fish story, mike.

I won't wade across an ankle deep creek, bull sharks have swam from the Gulf of Mexico to far northern Alberta. I think that's what I heard

They're definitely nasty, mike. I've had them come up right next to the side of the boat and take big fish off the line right when you're getting ready to pull them out of the water. Spooky stuff. Had a friend of mine go absolutely nuts when one did that down in Everglades National Park. We spent the rest of the day killing or trying to kill more bull sharks. Lol. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah, I've read more than once of a bull-shark taking fish off of a wade-fisherman stringer, alligators too. SCARY.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
[quote=Jim_Conrad]Same goes for mola mola. Wicked men at sea can = good times!
wink

KG….You always have interesting threads and I find that I can closely relate with so much of it. I’ll have to share my whale riding experience with you on your other thread but needless to say that you might be my brother from another mutha’. Those damn Sunfish are hell on props! Whenever I think about Mola mola I think about the animal’s immunity from UV sunlight. They float endlessly on the surface under the blazing sun without respite, no shade anywhere and yet you never here about them getting sunburned. 😁. Mola appear to almost defy the laws of nature…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yeah, I've read more than once of a bull-shark taking fish off of a wade-fisherman stringer, alligators too. SCARY.

A buddy I work with had fish ripped off a striker that was attached to his hip. He is still freaked out about it. Happened off the Carolina coast in October.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

A buddy I work with had fish ripped off a striker that was attached to his hip. He is still freaked out about it. Happened off the Carolina coast in October.
Always best to remember there are a lot of places left in the world where one is not at the top of the food chain.

In it is contentment

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sharks are very flexible too, surprises a lot of people on charters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Cartilage instead of bone has some very decided advantages at times.

In it is contentment

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Bullshark ?

How far north do alligators live up the East coast ?

Posted by Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Cartilage instead of bone has some very decided advantages at times.

Yes, it does.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
[quote=Jim_Conrad]Same goes for mola mola. Wicked men at sea can = good times!
wink

KG….You always have interesting threads and I find that I can closely relate with so much of it. I’ll have to share my whale riding experience with you on your other thread but needless to say that you might be my brother from another mutha’. Those damn Sunfish are hell on props! Whenever I think about Mola mola I think about the animal’s immunity from UV sunlight. They float endlessly on the surface under the blazing sun without respite, no shade anywhere and yet you never here about them getting sunburned. 😁. Mola appear to almost defy the laws of nature…
You'd have to share the NorthShore walrus with me. lol

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Supposedly professional "Shark researchers" were making quite the fuss about that on a hammerhead show last night.

Either they were really amazed...............................or they were told by the producers to ham it up.

I'll guess it was the latter.

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
While snorkeling down in Key Largo, taking in the coral reefs, I turned around to see three large barracudas staring at me within just a few feet away. unnerved me a bit.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.