-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That asswipe should ask for a refund of his law school tuition...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is nothing new in this Op-ed. It's based on the same crapola I was handed as an undergrad in the mid-70's. I had a Poly-Sci prof that dismissed the 2A as simply pertaining to the right of states to form militias. He barely gave it 30 seconds' worth of discussion. I should have known then that something was up, but I was young and swallowed it.

One thing that really irks the snot out of me in all this is the assertion that none of the framers saw this as an individual right. This is a bald-faced lie. Quite to the contrary, you have all the states' constitutions that were written at the time and all of their framers-- all talking about the individual right to keep and bear arms. The only confusing part is that they allied this concept with the right to form a common defense. Both are natural rights of Man. Both are enshrined in the 2A and in the states' constitutions.

I disagree with anyone who calls the author of the Op-Ed stupid or deficient. This is was an intelligent, albeit malignant attack on basic natural rights. The man is not a dullard; he is a fiend.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shaman
One thing that really irks the snot out of me in all this is the assertion that none of the framers saw this as an individual right. This is a bald-faced lie. Quite to the contrary, you have all the states' constitutions that were written at the time and all of their framers-- all talking about the individual right to keep and bear arms. The only confusing part is that they allied this concept with the right to form a common defense. Both are natural rights of Man. Both are enshrined in the 2A and in the states' constitutions.

Very well put.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob is at risk of getting monkey pox.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
He simply ignores the Constitution. There certainly is an individual right, and there are no restrictions on arms, in the Constitution.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Tallahassee paper has always been ultra liberal. Bob Reid has always been an ultra liberal dhimmicrat. Anti gun, pro government, and part of the local Tally lefty political machine. The writer and publisher are not a surprise here.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just more commie propaganda.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The commies believe rights are privileges, and privileges are rights. With the recent 2A court decisions hanging in the air, the followers must be fed the pablum.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
Personally I no longer give a schit what the leftards come up with. I will not submit. The way they railroaded Bannon, the hyena J6 committee, that idiot Biden Those jackasses are not my rulers and they can go FuQ themselves.
Bravo sir... I couldn't possibly agree more..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'll bet he's 110% for abortion.
No doubt!

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The first sentence in the second para-giraffe 🦒 loses the entire argument. As I mentioned earlier, every other amendment to guarantee the rights of individuals, the word “people” is used. Can’t mean one thing here and mean something else in other amendments.

Years ago, “The American Rifleman” published rough drafts and concurrent writings of the framers and it was clear that they intended to guarantee the “People” …..you and me, the right to have guns for any reason…..self defense, defense of the country, hunting or anything else.

Last edited by navlav8r; 07/26/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dear Bob,

Greetings and a hearty GFY from Atlanta, Georgia!

One thing that gun grabber like you assumes is that if you ban guns, that society will be safe and peaceful and that nobody will intimidate or coerce or oppress other citizens. Note that I use the word "citizens". In the United States, we are citizens and our government obeys us, not the other way around. Europe has subjects, we are citizens.

As a citizen, I want the ability to protect myself. Subjects rely on the State to protect them. As we have seen over the past three decades, even in our marvelous form of government, the State protects those it approves of and punishes those it disapproves. The State is not tolerant. Neither are criminals.

No guns, no violent crime? Dream on! Just the opposite, big fella. No guns, no fear for criminals. Strength in numbers. 4 young athletic men meet you and your wife on the street and decide to rough you up and grab your stuff. No gun, what are you going to do? My prediction is you are going to give up your stuff and hope you don't get your ass beat to a pulp. What if the 4 thugs decide to beat your ass to a pulp, beat your wife into a coma, and abduct your daughter. If you had CCW, that probably has a different outcome.

You see, Bob, by banning guns, you are denying law abiding citizens the opportunity to defend themselves. Even the probability that a home might be armed is a deterrent to crime. No crook wants his ass blown away. In your world with no guns, might makes right. Physical might. Men with knives are suddenly invincible, as are baseball bats or chains.

In your OP/Ed piece, you are really quick to "expand criminal liability" to gun owners. How about really applying the law to violent criminals? I want to live in a "peaceful society", as you put it, too. How about Chicago? Strict gun laws. 836 gun related homicides in 2021. How many arrests and convictions? What is your deterrent for people illegally owning guns? If we can't close our borders to illegal drugs, don't you think the cartels might just start gun running? Then only the bad guys have guns.

Hey, Bob, how about you go down to the ANTIFA rally and hang out. Maybe things start getting sporting and some young longhair with a giant skateboard starts smashing your skull in? If you had an AR15 platform in .223, you could come out of that one alive.

So, Bob, while you are doing your own (incorrect) interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, without the 2nd, the others are all in jeopardy.

I have found that gun grabbers by and large are Beta males and Facebook Karens. they talk big and bold, but never would personally take action in any dangerous or meaningful situation. They want LEO's to respond and take care of things. How'd that work out in Uvlade? Maybe a teacher or principal with CCW would have stopped that cold.

I'm sure in your retort you are going to try to pull on the heartstrings and tell me if there were no guns, the Uvalde school murders would have never happened, right? BTW, note "School murders" is what they were. Murders are caused by murderers. One should be linked to the other. You and your people want to call them "shootings," to link the murders to inanimate objects (guns). The guns were not enchanted. They did not grow little legs and run wooden to the school and go off on their own. The wacko in question could have done the same with machete, an axe, a big assed kitchen knife. Bob - would you feel better if the murderer walked in with a 5 gallon can of gasoline and a Bic lighter and burned the place and all the kids and the school to the ground?

See, bad people can find endless ways to cause harm, and you are out to take the only means the public has to protect themselves from such harm. More than 81 million American's are lawful gun owners, and you want to strip that right away from them. You'd take away the right and opportunity for 81 million law abiding citizens to defend themselves, or even to enjoy shooting sports. I'd bet you're the same type that wanted to abolish the Pledge of Allegiance in schools or pray before a HS sporting event because 0.00001% were "Offended". 81 million, Bob.

Go Chase an Ambulance.

All the Best,

Hatari

Originally Posted by 79S
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/o...nned-national-basis-opinion/10126597002/

Bob Reid has been a practicing attorney for over 46 years and has been a resident of Tallahassee since 1989. Reid’s practice has involved, among other matters, both state and federal constitutional issues.

There is no mention in the Second Amendment about an individual right to own and bear arms. The purpose of the Second Amendment was to placate those former colonies (and soon to be States), who feared the potential of a federal government acting like the King they just overthrew. The bulk of the military that fought the Revolutionary War was state militias (the modern equivalent of which is the National Guard) acting under the command of federal forces.

The single common factor in all the recent mass shootings was the use of semi-automatic weapons (fully automatic weapons have been banned for many years). All semi-automatic weapons, both rifles and handguns, must be banned on a national basis. It is self-evident that these weapons are not needed for either personal protection or for hunting. Restrictions on the private ownership of weapons are not prohibited by the Constitution. With the elimination of semi-automatic weapons, there should also be a ban on high-capacity magazines.

This is not dissimilar from the current structure of our military forces. Recent interpretations of the Second Amendment by the Supreme Court are simply mental gymnastics designed to achieve a political end desired by a very vocal but small minority.

These prohibitions should be coupled with a national buy-back program of semi-automatic weapons, but the refusal to sell these weapons or magazines to the government would not itself be a crime. Rather, if a crime is committed using a prohibited weapon or magazine, the owner or immediate seller of such a weapon or magazine would be equally liable for any crime committed with such weapon or magazine, regardless of who pulled the trigger. Simple, if you keep these weapons, keep them safe and locked up.
This criminal liability should be expanded to include any crime committed by a weapon whose owner failed to safely store and lock their guns. Think of all the guns that are stolen from unlocked cars! Ownership of a weapon designed to maim and kill another person should require the same level of responsibility as ownership of other property that can cause serious injury or death, like an automobile.
There will be those who strongly disagree with this approach. Those individuals should ask themselves what price is too high to pay for human life? Does a human life not mean anything? Is it really all right to hold onto extreme ideas of personal freedom when the result of such ideas leads directly to the mass destruction of human life? What kind of society do we want to live in?

The Constitution expressly allows Congress the right and authority to dictate the jurisdiction of the federal courts. To make sure the will of a majority of US citizens are implemented, Congress could remove from the jurisdiction of the federal courts the ability to rule on the constitutionality of a ban of semi-automatic weapons (similar to the removal of jurisdiction over habeas corpus during the Civil War).

The only way to avoid minority rule is for the majority to support and vote for those representatives, at all levels of government, local, state and federal, who also share the same view of society. The foundation of our society rests on all aspects of our lives, including our right to live a peaceful life while being responsible for our actions. Based on polling data, we believe we know what that majority wants.

Now is the time to make clear what kind of society we really want. It is time to speak up now by voting in November, our future depends on it. Putting the Genie back is the bottle will be a long process, but we must start sometime.

Bob Reid
Bob Reid has been a practicing attorney for over 46 years and has been a resident of Tallahassee since 1989. Reid’s practice has involved, among other matters, both state and federal constitutional issues.