Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
[quote=mrmarklin]I'm not John, but the best glass is made by Schott of Germany. It's a Zeiss subsidiary.

They make several grades, depending on use.

https://www.schott.com/en-gb/products/optical-glass-p1000267

Ok. I'll bite and ask you just one question.

Why do you think it's the best?
AFAIK
All the Alpha manufacturers use this brand. There must be a very good reason, because they charge a lot for their scopes. Schott is the world’s premier glassmaker, mostly used in high end applications.

That's the operative word (or anagram): AFAIK.

And again, I say that how the glass is shaped, polished, coated, etc is more important. Also critical are the optical design and the assembly of the riflescope. The exact provenance of glass is a closely guarded secret, veiled in secrecy on purpose.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BillyE
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Glass matters in a binocular. Mostly just marketing in a riflescope.

You gotta be schittin me
laugh laugh laugh
Nope! Once you’ve spent over the $4-500 mark or so, glass doesn’t matter much. It’s all good enough. If that concept is lost on you, you’ve been duped by decades of riflescope manufacturer’s marketing too. What matters far more is a scope that works and holds zero. There are some scopes out there with remarkable glass, yet as a reliable and functional aiming device, they are garbage. Damn near all scopes these days have good glass, so focus on what matters.
Read FTR’s post. Very educational.

I’m thinking you have never used serious glass in serious conditions. I call BS.
I just mounted a S&B 3-27 PM II on my recently purchased precision rifle. It’s a revelation. And I own several Alpha scopes including S&B, Kahles, Zeiss, etc.

I agree that most scopes over $500 have good enough glass. But there’s a reason that Alpha scopes are used by military snipers. I like to varmint hunt and I’ve hunted with others who use moderately priced glass. There is absolutely no comparison In what I observe with my bins and what I can shoot at with my scopes. They can’t even see the varmint.

You’re wrong. I’ve used all the Swaro Z series, and the X5. Pretty much all Nightforce lines. March. Zeiss. Khales. Want me to keep going?

I’ll take a lower end Nightforce SHV over a Swaro Z6 any day, despite the Swaro costing more than twice as much! Does the Swaro have better glass? Absolutely. But I’d rather have a scope that’s reliable and actually works, with glass that’s good enough. The difference in glass is minimal, the difference in function and reliability is huge.

My point is…. Don’t just buy a scope because of good glass alone. Nearly all of them have good glass. Buy one that works and will hold up too. That’s more important.

You can have reliability AND good glass. Nobody is saying that reliability is less important than a image quality.

That’s true. You can have reliability AND good glass, Just don’t assume that high end expensive glass also automatically means reliable too. Swaro Z series is a perfect example. And when forced to accept a trade off, choose reliability. Again, I’m talking about your average big game hunter. Not a specialized target application.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 07/29/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=mrmarklin]I'm not John, but the best glass is made by Schott of Germany. It's a Zeiss subsidiary.

They make several grades, depending on use.

https://www.schott.com/en-gb/products/optical-glass-p1000267

Ok. I'll bite and ask you just one question.

Why do you think it's the best?
AFAIK
All the Alpha manufacturers use this brand. There must be a very good reason, because they charge a lot for their scopes. Schott is the world’s premier glassmaker, mostly used in high end applications.

And again, I say that how the glass is shaped, polished, coated, etc is more important. Also critical are the optical design and the assembly of the riflescope. The exact provenance of glass is a closely guarded secret, veiled in secrecy on purpose.
S&B states it uses Schott glass. What kind do you think Zeiss uses? It’s not a secret and can be found out.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AFAIK

Acronym; if we are into busting balls.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
(snip)

If you're using a riflescope to shoot at 100 yards a few times a year, for 5 seconds, then yeah, a $3500 riflescope is not going to benefit you. A $4-500 scope will definitely "be good enough", and spending more on binoculars is definitely "a good thing."

But for some people, spending a lot more on a riflescope has its place and the manufacturers have provided some amazing designs with great capabilities.

I certainly won’t disagree with that well thought out response. You have unique needs. I was speaking to the masses, and your average big game hunter.hunter.
It really is all a question of "suitability" or using what is proper for your purpose.

My point was that it's not all cut and dried; there are people who need far superior rifle optics for specific shooting purposes and the manufacturers have stepped up to meet that need and as such should not be maligned. Glass type does make a difference in certain situations, and a great example is the mirage taming properties of ED glass, and especially Super ED and pure fluorite crystal glass.

If you look through a riflescope in excellent conditions and for shorter distances, you are totally correct that one would be hard pressed to find much of a difference between "good enough" and "top of the line". Certtainly not one justifying multi kilobucks in the price.

But when the going gets tough and the distances increase and the criticality of the picture is extreme, that's when the $ difference comes into focus (if I can be excused for the play on words.)

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
AFAIK

Acronym; if we are into busting balls.

Thank you for the correction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s true. You can have reliability AND good glass, Just don’t assume that high end expensive glass also automatically means reliable too. Swaro Z series is a perfect example. And when forced to accept a trade off, choose reliability. Again, I’m talking about your average big game hunter. Not a specialized target application.

Be careful what you say, there are people that have extensive experience with equipment you know nothing of...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I will gently disagree with you.

I will also make an observation here. People get hung up on glass for some reason, but what is even more important is how the glass is made into a coated lens and then placed inside a riflescope.

I have to remember this is a hunting forum, and as such high-end riflescopes are not very popular here as most members seem to like Leupold or Barska products mounted very close to the barrel. These members look through the scope for an instant before taking the shot. They will shoot maybe 5 times during the year.

If you think that applies to the vast majority of members here then you're either ignorant or a complete moron.

You are the quintessential biden voter; you rephrase my statement and then argue that. I said "most members", which means anything above 50%. You stated that I said "the vast majority of", completely different. And for that display of cognitive dissonance, you are now on my ignore list.

You were wrong in your first post, which I bolded (those were your words, not mine), and you're even more wrong with your 2nd effort. Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Nice line up Shrap! 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Nice line up Shrap! 😊

See any Z5’s ?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Nice line up Shrap! 😊

See any Z5’s ?

You apparently got the good ones. I bought four z5 5-25X52 and fooled with a friend's z6 5-30X50. I would not buy another z5 5-25X52 or buy a z6 5-30X50 because of my experience.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Be careful what you say, there are people that have extensive experience with equipment you know nothing of...

I don’t like calling others out, but you did that to me, and made a completely misinformed statement.

It may not have happened yet, but one day you will likely need to take your own advice. I used to be you. Had stacks of Swarovski scope boxes also. Had them on most all my favorite rifles. I used to think they were the greatest hunting scope on earth. And they are, until they aren’t, which happens if you actually use them and dial them and hunt hard with them. They definitely seem great, on paper and to the eye. No one does it lighter, clearer, with a better eyebox and FOV. And then I started actually using them. And a sheared turret revealed the cheesy plastic internals. Then they all got sold. The things a riflescope needs to do above all else, track accurately, hold and return to zero, and stand up to field use, they just do not do well. They can’t due to their design (plastic turrets and paper thin tube walls) and once I understood that, I moved on. But you should enjoy that great glass!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I’m sure this will surprise some and others not so much. Anyway it’s a good review of a few top so called alpha scopes optically.

https://www.kineticsecuritysolutions.com/pages/optics-comparison

Last edited by Xycod; 07/29/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don’t like calling others out, but you did that to me, and made a completely misinformed statement.

It may not have happened yet, but one day you will likely need to take your own advice. I used to be you. Had stacks of Swarovski scope boxes also. Had them on most all my favorite rifles. I used to think they were the greatest hunting scope on earth. And they are, until they aren’t, which happens if you actually use them and dial them and hunt hard with them. They definitely seem great, on paper and to the eye. No one does it lighter, clearer, with a better eyebox and FOV. And then I started actually using them. And a sheared turret revealed the cheesy plastic internals. Then they all got sold. The things a riflescope needs to do above all else, track accurately, hold and return to zero, and stand up to field use, they just do not do well. They can’t due to their design (plastic turrets and paper thin tube walls) and once I understood that, I moved on. But you should enjoy that great glass!

You may shoot more at targets than I do, but there is no way in the world you would shoot more varmints. Those rifles get taken out to the field and shot extensively. You do have to dial the scope as you shoot different ranges, and they continue to work.

I gave examples with real world experience, not hyperbole. Don’t tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about…

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Don’t tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about…

Like you did to me? Once again, might want to consider taking your own advice.

Good luck with your great glass!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
real world experience isn't always babied rifles in padded hard cases going to the 'field'.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Xycod
I’m sure this will surprise some and others not so much. Anyway it’s a good review of a few top so called alpha scopes optically.

An interesting study. I’d like to see what happens in low light.
Most big game is crepuscular.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought most were ungulates.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Xycod

An interesting study. I’d like to see what happens in low light.
Most big game is crepuscular.

Then again, lots of huge bucks are killed at midday.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.