Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I feel fine most of the day. Lately, when I get on the freeway and am going 60-70mph, I sometimes get this wave of dizziness in my head which really freaks me out when it happens and I have to grip tight on the wheel until it passes, which happens after a couple seconds. It comes out of nowhere without warning and I can't see a pattern. When I am driving around town at low to medium speeds, no problem. When I'm walking around or up and down stairs, no problem. When I'm at my desk or watching TV, no problem. It only happens when driving and at highway speeds. I don't get it. I was in the Navy and deployed on 4 ships and never got sea sick. Done about 100 scuba dives off boats and never got motion sickness. Since it started happening, I have been taking more back roads to avoid the issue. Any thought? This is weird.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do you wear glasses? The one and only time I tried to wear progressive lens bifocals, the distortion of my peripheral vision while driving almost caused me to wreck my car at intersections. Cars driving up to a stoplight on either side appeared to be turning into my lane of travel. I went back to regular lined bificals and the problem went away.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have marginal vision. I've had a prescription for several years but never wear glasses.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does it seem to happen when you’re looking at things up close that are passing quickly or off in the distance?

Sounds like vision-induced vertigo. Binocular vision disorder will do that. It can be corrected.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vertigo.

Go see your doc, most likely a problem with your inner ear.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You’re suffering from Bidenitis! It causes the nerves betwix the eyes and a sshole to get crossed up and it gives you a s hitty outlook on life in general!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
You’re suffering from Bidenitis! It causes the nerves betwix the eyes and a sshole to get crossed up and it gives you a s hitty outlook on life in general!
LMAO you dick I actually copied that and Googled it grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Happens to me too. Scares the hell out of me. Almost always on the interstate. Maybe anxiety and or stress from all the morons playing Richard petty while sending emails. It the traffic not the speed, I think, hope.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
So I feel fine most of the day. Lately, when I get on the freeway and am going 60-70mph, I sometimes get this wave of dizziness in my head which really freaks me out when it happens and I have to grip tight on the wheel until it passes, which happens after a couple seconds. It comes out of nowhere without warning and I can't see a pattern. When I am driving around town at low to medium speeds, no problem. When I'm walking around or up and down stairs, no problem. When I'm at my desk or watching TV, no problem. It only happens when driving and at highway speeds. I don't get it. I was in the Navy and deployed on 4 ships and never got sea sick. Done about 100 scuba dives off boats and never got motion sickness. Since it started happening, I have been taking more back roads to avoid the issue. Any thought? This is weird.

could it be some anxiety brought on by the speed of cars beside you ?

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dont try bump drafting at Daytona...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Saw this online "binocular vision dysfunction". Never heard of it but may be related.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you actually get dizzy or does your view of the road change?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Do you actually get dizzy or does your view of the road change?
No I feel a WAVE of dizziness in my head for about a second that catches me off guard and I have to grab the steering wheel to "ground" me. I never swerve or anything but it scares the crap out of me when it happens.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
hows your blood pressure?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had sumtin maybe similar about 5 or 6 times happen to me.

It'd just come outta the blue, always on a high speed 2 lane.

Just all the sudden It'd be like I was sitting still and the road was coming at me at a intense speed, maybe sorta like a video game.

First time it happened I tried driving through it, shut my eyes, shook my head, couldn't shake it off.
I gripped the wheel as hard as I could and did my best to negotiate the scene coming at me.
Didn't pan out, couldn't do it, everything was outta control.
First car that was coming at me was unbearable, I was ready to let go of the wheel and turn and duck, I had to get off the road.

Parked the truck, took a walk, I was fine, just couldn't drive.

My buddy took over driving and I was OK, the weirdness ceased.

It happened again and again over a period of about 3 years, I'd just get off the road immediately, wait a couple hours and everything would be OK, I could continue on.

There were two common denominators, one was the high speed two lane roads, the other was....well, I quit smokin' that schit and trying to drive, hasn't happened since.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
hows your blood pressure?
It's on the higher side and I take Lisinopril. But I can't seem to reconcile why it only seems to happen when driving at highway speeds. And I don't think it's road rage or anything because I have had it happen when there's hardly any traffic. Does seem more common with traffic though but I may be imagining that.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't tried this but I may take some drives as a passenger vice the driver on the highway. If it doesn't happen when I'm not actually in the act of driving, maybe I have some neurological schit going on. Not sure why the speed would matter on that but who knows.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Is it while you’re going through shadows of trees alongside the highway as in late in the afternoon or early morning? That can induce flicker vertigo.

We were all screened for it on our initial flight physical because we could have been assigned to rotary wing aircraft. Helo pilots have to deal with sunlight flickering through the rotors.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have had the same phenomena happen to me for a few years now. My doctor and I finally narrowed it down to Vertigo caused by a combination of an inner ear problem and my failing vision. The vision has been corrected by glasses. The inner ear was a result of an ear infection that changed the shape of the ear drum in some way. I can replicate the vertigo by standing on my deck and looking up at the sky. Immediately feel the world start to spin and have to grip the railing to keep from falling down. Doc mentioned a surgery that could be done on the ear to correct the drum issue but the odds of hearing loss afterwards has kept me from going that route. For now, I have learned to deal with it by looking down at my gauges when it occurs. That usually helps. Eventually I will need the ear corrected.

For what it's worth, I also take Lisinipril for blood pressure but the vertigo started long before that medication was added to my breakfast.

Last edited by Colorado14er; 07/28/22.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.