Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What are your thoughts about camper vans? I've got a few years to go until retirement, and I'm starting to think through things such as where I am going to live and what I am going to do. I can see my wife and me doing some traveling around to new hunting and fishing destinations, National Parks, etc. I don't think I want to live out of an RV for months on end, so I've been thinking that a Class B conversion van might be ideal for the occasional week or three trip from home.

Do folks with conversion van experience enjoy traveling and staying in their vans for a few weeks at a time? Do the vans and builds hold up well over time and miles? Do the components such as the fridge, A/C, water pumps, electrical systems, etc. hold up well? Do you find that they are roomy enough to be comfortable for a week or two? How long do you think the van and build will last before things start creaking and leaking unbearably? Do you wish that you had bought something bigger? Is traffic bearable? Is your spouse bearable in such close quarters?

And the big question in my mind, do you regret not just taking the amount of money spent on a nice van and using it to pay for plane tickets, hotel rooms and rental cars a few times per year instead of dumping it into and RV?

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope this thread gets legs in a good direction.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My suggestion to you is to rent one and take a trip to see how well you like it. Take it on a traveling vacation, you will learn a lot doing this.

Then if that does not meet your needs rent a larger one and do the process again.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No thanks. It's one more vehicle to maintain and pay for insurance and registration. When you park to camp, you're stuck there unless you break camp. I much prefer a small camp trailer. We recently bought a Casita trailer that can be pulled behind our Toyota Highlander. It cost a fraction of what a camper van costs, is more roomy, and we can park it and go somewhere.
That's not saying a Casita is roomy, just much more so than a van.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a Gretch Strada class B just a few months ago, still too soon to know how appliances will hold up. My wife and I have had a 24 ft camper trailer for quite a few years. No problems with its appliances so far. The pros/cons of a class B vs a trailer are:

Pros - much easier to drive long distances compared to pulling a trailer, driving it around town is much easier than I had expected. I wouldn’t want to try to drive or park a class C or especially a class A in much congestion. And no hitching, unhitching, stabilizer jacks, etc.

Cons - much tighter quarters. If I’m in the front of it and need to get to the back, and my wife is working in the kitchen, she has to move to let get get by. The living quarters in the trailer are much wider.

It really comes down to whether you’ll spend more time driving or camping in it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have rented Class B units several times. A Class A once. None were deemed big enough for a family of four for any more than a few days.

When the kids were gone, we used a truck/camper combo and took it to Alaska and back. The good news was that although marginal size wise, we did ok in it and it was good to have it on a pickup so we could take it places a larger RV could not go. But…. While on the road with this truck/camper we would stay in a motel every three or four days. That worked out good for us.

I thought about a class b but decided the problem of securing the unit before heading out to go someplace for a day or a few hours was going to be a chore.

Now have a 14’ semi custom camp trailer. Pull it with a half ton pickup. No problem to pull…. Once set up in a campsite, can take off in the pickup without packing up etc.

Now preparing a cargo trailer to become the main unit. Plenty of room in a 14’ cargo trailer….. the “gotta have” is room for 2 rocking chairs. Works….

Also….for me, another couple of “gotta haves”…..Get plenty of Solar and danfoss 12v refrigerator.

Edit to add: I like the trailers to be 7’ wide. Makes outfitting and sleeping arrangements much more convenient.

….. I know on one couple that got an RPOD and were quite looking forward to a lengthy camp. They lasted one night and came home. They did not fully think out the sleeping arrangement. Trailer had a double bed…. Husband had to get up multiple times at night…. Disturbing both wife and dog each time. Bed too short also. RPOD to be put up for sale after one night. Another problem was there was no “lounging” space in it other than the bed area. Bad case of “close” in rainy weather.

Last edited by TF49; 07/31/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you really want a motor home, look at Class C with at least one slide out a class B will be cramped for 1 to 3 week stays.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rock Chuck and TF49,

Both of you mentioned the hassle of breaking camp and packing up if wanting to go somewhere as being an advantage to a trailer. Let's assume that driving a Class B van is similar to driving a full-size pick up truck. What in particular is much different about gathering your stuff outside and putting it away in a trailer and taking off for the day in your vehicle vs. packing up your stuff into the van and taking off for the day in a vehicle that drives like many tow vehicles, although a Highlander would be much more pleasant to drive, especially around town? I can see where a trailer would be much roomier, though.

I'm not being argumentative. I'm trying to understand the pros/cons of each set up.

Thanks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Riverc
If you really want a motor home, look at Class C with at least one slide out a class B will be cramped for 1 to 3 week stays.

Does it matter whether I would consider the coach to be more of a sightseeing vehicle as opposed to a camping/living vehicle? I can definitely understand that bigger is better once parked and living from the RV for days or weeks. But what about if the journey is as important as the destination?

In other words, would you feel the same way if you were parked only for a day or two at a time and then driving to the next destination? For example, what if I wanted to visit the Smokey Mountains and then drive over to Nashville to hit a few bars/restaurants and see a music act? Or drive to Gettysburg for a day or two and then to Antietam for a day or two? This is where I think a van would be more convenient. I guess a lot depends on how I would intend to use it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Def try renting one before you buy. We have a truck camper, pop up roof style. Previous camper was an off road style pull behind pop up. Wanted to get to more remote places and not have a trailer. Just got back from a month going thru Idaho, Washington, BC, Alberta, Yukon and Alaska. We did hotels 3 nights, nice long showers and laundry. Yes it is a bit tight when inside. Bed is roomy. We have a rear and a side awning and unless bugs are bad, lots of time sitting outside if we are in camp. Takes us about 15 minutes to set up or take down when we get to or depart a camping spot. Add 15 to 20 minutes if we decide to take it off the truck if we are at a camp for a few days. As others have said, one less vehicle this route. Our preference is camping in off the grid places, not at all fond of RV parks. Water capacity is a consideration that varies with your lifestyle. We carry a spare jug. We also have 2 solar panels on the roof and dual batteries so power is not an issue. We took our off a few times when we were at places for a few days, not a big deal with our setup. (The leg jacks are powered).

Last edited by Razz; 07/31/22.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Coal: After owning a Toyota Chinook camper and an Alaskan Camper on an F350 ponder the following:
Honey I can't find the eggs?
Ooops I forgot to buy them.
OK you clear the counter tops of all the dishes. Make sure to get the pots and pans off the burner top. I will go outside and retract the awning and move the furniture away from the vehicle. When I am done with that I'll disconnect the electrical, pull the freshwater hose and disconnect the sewer hose. Maybe this time nobody will steal the bikes while we are gone. Should be buttoned up and ready to leave in 30 minutes. Maybe we should buy that Suzuki Samurai or Geo Tracker as a tow behind?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Originally Posted by Riverc

Does it matter whether I would consider the coach to be more of a sightseeing vehicle as opposed to a camping/living vehicle? I can definitely understand that bigger is better once parked and living from the RV for days or weeks. But what about if the journey is as important as the destination?

In other words, would you feel the same way if you were parked only for a day or two at a time and then driving to the next destination? For example, what if I wanted to visit the Smokey Mountains and then drive over to Nashville to hit a few bars/restaurants and see a music act? Or drive to Gettysburg for a day or two and then to Antietam for a day or two? This is where I think a van would be more convenient. I guess a lot depends on how I would intend to use it.

Only you can decide what will be best do your research visit some Rv Forums...rv.net.com and irv2.com both should have a Class B Forum. Good Luck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There is an upcoming RV show in Hershey, PA September 14-18. They tout it as being the largest RV show in the country with more than 1,300 RVs on display from over 40 manufacturers. I'm planning to attend for the first time.

I'm doing some research now just so I'm not the guy who shows up at the show who doesn't know the difference between gray water and black water. I'll probably try to find an exhibitor there who rents different types of RVs and give that a shot before buying anything a few years down the road.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rock Chuck and TF49,

Both of you mentioned the hassle of breaking camp and packing up if wanting to go somewhere as being an advantage to a trailer. Let's assume that driving a Class B van is similar to driving a full-size pick up truck. What in particular is much different about gathering your stuff outside and putting it away in a trailer and taking off for the day in your vehicle vs. packing up your stuff into the van and taking off for the day in a vehicle that drives like many tow vehicles, although a Highlander would be much more pleasant to drive, especially around town? I can see where a trailer would be much roomier, though.

I'm not being argumentative. I'm trying to understand the pros/cons of each set up.

Thanks.
You have to secure stuff either way so that's a wash. Do you know if you'll have a camping spot when you get back from a day trip to town? Taking down an awning every time you leave isn't all that much fun.
What does a decent used camper van cost these days? I'll bet you won't get much for less than $40k. A small late model trailer, under 20', will be much less and insurance might run $100/year. How much is insurance on a camper van? $800 to 1000/year? Most of that's liability and there is none on a trailer.
Some trailers have slideouts for extra room. Those add weight, though, so you have to consider your tow vehicle. Our Casita weighs 2800 dry, under 3500 loaded. Our Highlander's rated for 5k. It handles the Casita nicely. Mileage sucks when towing but I'll bet it still gets better than a camper van.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rock Chuck and TF49,

Thanks.

Couple good responses above.

I usually set up the trailer in one spot and stay there 2-4 days. While there if I want to go somewhere, I pretty much just lock up the trailer and leave in the pickup. Might secure the folding chairs…. I don’t use any awning and the interior I just leave set up and as it might be….…. Leave dishes, chairs, bed etc as is….jump in the truck and take off.

I don’t need an electrical hookup at all and never use any sort of sewer connection. So, no time consumed with utilities. Trailer is all selfcontained. Don’t have to relevel the rig when I return. Don’t have to set up the interior or kitchen upon return.

Works for me, but….ymmv

Btw.. Seems most rv and trailer manufacturers try to cram too many features into a “too small” space. No place to lounge and spend time comfortably if the weather is lousy. One can take a toy hauler and then outfit the “vehicle space” to suit. My go to trailer right now is a 14’ toy hauler with a front kitchen and the rear set of for convenient sleeping and lounging. I love the rocking chair and ottoman and the end of the day.

The couple I mentioned that had the RPOD thought the dinette area was most unsuitable for lounging. Seat backs to upright and no place to put your legs up.

Last edited by TF49; 07/31/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back to your original question on Class B’s….. I started thinking seriously about a Class B a couple of my years ago when it looked like driving up to Alaska again was in the plan. If I was driving to Alaska again, I would be reluctant to fuss with a trailer….. we put almost 9000 miles on the truck on our last trip. A Class B for that might be just right.

A small, maneuverable Class B would be pretty good for a long road trip. Especially if we spent time in motels once in awhile. We stayed in one area and rented a cabin for a week and could have done our sightseeing in a small Class B just as well as the truck/camper.

But, for most of my current outdoor camping, I end up going places even a small Class B cannot negotiate…. Narrow, rough roads. Does not take much rough road to tear up a RV.

Anyway, my last trip to Alaska, I flew, rented a car and stayed in motels.

If you plan on staying at a particular destination for a period of time and don’t need to go to town or go somewhere to sight see….. and the roads are good…. Maybe a Class B is just the ticket….IDK.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Again, rent one for a week. See if it meets expectations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A cargo van for the win, I've been in one off an on for years. When I was drilling, I had to have a place to stay 5 nights every three weeks. It's stupid to keep a house up for that.

A class B isn't going to be a house, there's no point in wasting a bunch of money on anything that size pretending it is. JMO

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
23-25’ class C

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
To me they make more sense for today. You give up some room, but the upkeep and everything else involved is smaller, too. I had a older couple in the family that got one that had everything you need to be comfortable and clean, but in a tighter package. For two people, it was perfect for them and easy to drive and park. In a pinch you can sleep three, but crowded, unless you get a tent that adds room to the awning area. They would camp some times and rent a cottage or room sometimes on long trips. That's the way I'd want to travel myself.

Last edited by reivertom; 07/31/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 16 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.