Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legs are good.
Some of the nicest legs I have seen on women are at a mountain bike race.
Holy Smokes!!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not all that fussy. A good leg is a good leg.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, it's amazing when any young "sensation" doesn't self destruct. People aren't born knowing they're going to be pop stars. They just grow up, go to high school, and suddenly they have a whole lot of very professional, very slick, very ambitious greedy slimeballs treating them like nothing more than commodities to be exploited for the few short years they can be.

Think how mature you were at 16-21. Did you ever do anything stupid because someone egged you on? Now picture yourself with $50-100 million to do stupid things with, 20 butt kissing hangers-on (who only hang around you 'cause you're rich) blowing 24K gold plated smoke up your ass telling you how great you are and 100 photographers surrounding you 24X7 just waiting to catch you doing anything remotely stupid.

For folks like Brittany or Lindsey Lohan or Paris or any of those young women, what we call "reality" and "normality" is just a distant memory if they ever knew it at all. Now I know there is still a thing called personal responsiblity, but I don't think any of us are really in a position to judge unless you've walked a mile in their Guccis.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim,
You raise some good points.
I cannot even imagine what they go through.
However, it still does not excuse some of their behavior, IMO.

What is more distressing to me is why on earth so many people idolize these folks.

Last edited by 340boy; 10/19/07.

James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's just the nature of the publicity machine, people have always idolized and wanted to hear about the rich and famous througout history.

Medieval troubadors didn't sing about the peasants in the next shire, they sang of the lives of kings and dukes. In the 19th century the society pages of the newspapers detailed the lives of the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts, not the Smiths.

There have been fan magazines since the very early days of the silent movies. The rich and famous have always been boozing and snorting coke at orgiastic parties just as much as any pop star of today. Also losing themselves in booze, pills and self destruction just as much as today - Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe. The poem "Richard Cory" was written (I believe) in 1890:

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
And admirably schooled in every grace;
In fine we thought that he was everything,
To make us wish that we were in his place

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

It's sad, really. People idolize celebrities and want to be like them, but those are probably some of the loneliest and unhappiest people around.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
may be the same reason this spurrious (sp?) post has gotten 600 hits in 12 hours --- can't help rubbernecking a train wreck... it's human nature.

FWIW, I think show biz is absolutely corrupting.

How many "stars" still have ok lives? will smith, harrison ford, springsteen,dylon,bonnie raitt, damn few. these all had someithing to SAY and thus their own agenda.

how many more were in it just for the attention and flamed out: spears,lohan,anna smith,hilton,monroe, and on and on. sucked dry for the 2-3 years until the next one comes along.\

then there's those bridging the gap (cobain,elvis) that probably would have ended up that way anyway.

there's also the ones , who, the joke's been on us the whole time: alice cooper, ozzie.

it's a messed up way to make a living, that's for sure, and a death trap for most.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I met and recognized a well known celebrity entertainer when we were both pumping gasoline at adjacent pumps. I greeted him with the friendly recognition of a fan, and he showed obvious displeasure at being recognized in public. I agreed politely to drop the conversation, to let him continue on his way without further annoyance from me. He didn't like that, either.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Actually, it's amazing when any young "sensation" doesn't self destruct.

Yah...that's what really got to me this season of America's Got Talent. I don't remember her name, but one of the finalists was a sweet, innocent, pretty fourteen-year-old farm girl with a very engaging manner and attitude who could sing like an angel. She certainly had the talent to win the million-dollar grand prize, but I really didn't want to see her do it, because whenever I looked at her I had visions of Spears and Lohan and Hilton.

Luckily, she didn't win--the winner was a ventriloquist who did impressions of famous singers. The fourteen-year-old (Julienne something?) will certainly be famous someday, but I'm glad she's going to have a chance to grow up first.

Ah--here she is.

I think it's the smile that gets me.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A skank she is, but she's from Kentwood, on high ground north of the lake. So not really a swamp skank. A sad case of a not too bright girl manipulated by her WT parents, ground up in the fame machine, and now passing the stupids on to the next generation.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
A skank she is, but she's from Kentwood, on high ground north of the lake. So not really a swamp skank. A sad case of a not too bright girl manipulated by her WT parents, ground up in the fame machine, and now passing the stupids on to the next generation.

What's a WT?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
I'm gonna guess WT=White Trash ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as gullible guys go ga-ga over scarlet starlets, the entertainment industry will churn 'em out, and the gossip industry will keep us all apprised � ad nauseam � of their prize-winning goofinesses.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't get why people worship stars like Spears. Yea, I guess she had an alright voice, and performed what could be called entertaining to middle school girls, and yea, she did look good doing it. Ok, that makes her a good performer, she made it big, good for her. Now we have all these mindless puppets trying to be just like her, following her every move. The media is full of Britney, and everything she does. SO FRIGGIN WHAT...why should any of us care. Why do we put so much importance on stupid stuff like all this instead of going about our own lives and thinking about/trying to get educated on things that impact our on lives? If you like her music, listen to it, go to shows, buy CDs. If you're that big of a fan, send her an email, try to get a backstage pass. If you think shes that good looking, find some pics online. But no, we're so caught up on this Hollywood BS that we turn people like her into gods and drive this crazy schit into kids brains. Personally, I couldn't care less about her and the rest of these no talent idiots that think they're God's gift to mankind.
Sorry, topics like this have been on my mind a lot lately, since I'm trying to get things worked out for my future, like wife kids etc....and it really pisses me off. I hope I can put some moral into my kids.

U
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
U
that's exactly the issue Rooster. Kids eat this stuff up and unless you live in a cabin in the woods, they'll be exposed to it over and over.
Very difficult to try to explain the moral decay and self-destruction of these starlets to your kids. They seem glamorous to kids at first and end up serving as a bad example in the end. No different to a little girl than a little boy who has to find out his sports hero is a cheater (or dog electrocuter)

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Spears is MUCH smarter than folks are giving her credit. She is going through a rough patch in her life and she'll be back. I've known plenty of good, smart folks hit rock bottom and do some stupid stuff. I myself hit the bottle a number of years ago and I'm not exactly proud of what I did. Had I had more cash and more things available, I'm sure I'd have gotten into drugs.

Spears without the aid of a trainer put herself through a rigorous workout routine as a young woman that gave herself one of the best bodies in the business and fame. You can't get a body like that by starving yourself or fad diets..

I admire her for what she accomplished and I hope she makes a comeback.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can't really blame the kids though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Calvin, it's not about Spears, personally, I have no respect for her, but that's irrelevant to this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park outta the girl.......

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm WAAAY too old to be a fan of her or any other person these days.
Does seem like she has had a rough last few years tho from the cover on the tabloids at the local supermarket.
Maybe mostly her own fault? I dunno.

I have prayed for the gal, her son, and her future a time or two tho.............that she'd be OK and have a happy & good life, know and find real love... and gain some normalcy..whatever the Lord deems would be normal for her life.

I know if one of my daughters was in her place I'd still love her, but be praying hard..Jim

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 44automag, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 15,490 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,334
Posts18,546,234
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.