Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Lots of Pacific veterans brought back/mailed home regular Jap skulls.
Tony Bell avant garde comic illustrator had one such skull on his fire place mantle in South Austin. From Okinawa.

[Linked Image from allthatsinteresting.com]

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Japanese+skulls+from+WWII&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad had a picture made of him holding 2 of them when he was in the Philipines.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Frank Phillips museum at Woolaroc Ranch has some real ones plus one of the best Colt firearms collection anywhere. Guy I worked with had a skull he mailed home from Vietnam, found it in a ditch in on the side of the road. He called him Charlie……….

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of Pacific veterans brought back/mailed home regular Jap skulls.
Tony Bell avant garde comic illustrator had one such skull on his fire place mantle in South Austin. From Okinawa.

[Linked Image from allthatsinteresting.com]

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Japanese+skulls+from+WWII&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

My uncle, who was on Guadalcanal, would probably have happily posed for that picture. He never said anything about the Canal until 40 years later when my sis got him to open up about it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A bit over 40 years ago old man Jack McBride had a skull there in the gunshop. It set on the glassed expensive shotgun cabinet in the back of the store. Story on itwas it came out of a midden up on Walnut creek that was then the very edge of North Austin. Matter of fact it was still country. One day someone me tioned to ol’ Jack that lt might be a good idea to not display it anymore. Hell it had become a fixture and most paid no attention to it. Well he took it home as it disappeard.

Naturally the back story of the piece was that it belonged to an Indian "princess” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Always guffaw at those stories!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I have seem some.

They were displayed next to some very well-done fake ones that were sold to people as real.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Remembering back, Texas Memorial Museum used to have some shrunken heads on display. But I’m sure in a moment of wokism they have been removed from display.

I think one of the greatest displays of human remains (for a kid anyway) was the cornucopia of remains at the old "Million Dollar Museum" in White City New Mexico!!!! Anyone remember that place??? Wall to wall junk and crap in what? Three buildings? Until you got to the "Indian" section. Their show piece was a mummified Indian baby! No schidt!!! Freaky as hell. Along with other mummy and semi-mummified remains and skeletons. All laid out for view!!!

The days of roadside Americana!!!

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Remembering back, Texas Memorial Museum used to have some shrunken heads on display. But I’m sure in a moment of wokism they have been removed from display.

I think one of the greatest displays of human remains (for a kid anyway) was the cornucopia of remains at the old "Million Dollar Museum" in White City New Mexico!!!! Anyone remember that place??? Wall to wall junk and crap in what? Three buildings? Until you got to the "Indian" section. Their show piece was a mummified Indian baby! No schidt!!! Freaky as hell. Along with other mummy and semi-mummified remains and skeletons. All laid out for view!!!

There used to be some mummified Indian remains at the little museum in Langtry when I was a kid, early 70’s. They were found in a cave on the Pecos river as I remember. Seems it was an infant and woman, been a long time ago. Old man ran the thing and pointed at the displays with a stick as he told the stories. Maybe someone else remembers the place. Had horny toads nailed to the wall on the porch. Sure do miss them horny toads, maybe one day they’ll make a comeback.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Won a fake one at a carnival when I was a kid. Think my mom must have thrown it away when I moved out of the house.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The next door neighbors had several hanging in the family room. Strange people, wouldn't have surprised me to have found them doing some voodoo schit.

I also remember seeing shrunken heads advertised in magazines when I was a kid.

I used to have my grandfather's old tobacco pouch--- made from the scrotum of a Comanche warrior. At least that's what grandpa claimed he made it from.

My ex wife stole it when I kicked her ass out. That bitch would suck anybody's nut sack, alive or dead.

Last edited by MickeyD; 08/04/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by CRJ1960

There used to be some mummified Indian remains at the little museum in Langtry when I was a kid, early 70’s. They were found in a cave on the Pecos river as I remember. Seems it was an infant and woman, been a long time ago. Old man ran the thing and pointed at the displays with a stick as he told the stories. Maybe someone else remembers the place. Had horny toads nailed to the wall on the porch. Sure do miss them horny toads, maybe one day they’ll make a comeback.

Yes! All that stuff came from the Shumla shelter site!!!! They just got around to backfilling a lot of that site this past year! 70 years of backfill!!! They did find one helluva Clovis in the backfill! 🤣.

There are the remains of a man that was excavated there that died from an intestinal blockage the size of a football! His remains are still at the Tx Archeological Research Lab in North Austin. They suspect he may have been a victim of Chaga’s disease. I was also a le to examine a bunch of the woven and twined sotol and yucca items out of that area! Awesome stuff. Mostly sandals.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Anyone got one?

Seen one?

Lol

Used to be as popular as ‘pet rocks’ when I was a kid. If your dad or crazy viet nam uncle had one, you were by default the sheeyyit!! Major cool points
Would Indian Scalps qualify?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Saw an episode of Pawn Stars where a guy brought in a shrunken head. It was fake but as I recall the "expert" said that a real shrunken head would be worth some serious cash.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
Aside

And if you knew about where one was

Did the female that lived there also have a crapload of peacock feathers in macrame wrapped wine bottles????

Yes, off the side of Hwy. 19 in florda - little roadside place 19 & 73, moderned up now they got essential oils/dream catchers and a couple of silver necklaces.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 8 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,109
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.