Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Im going down a path I have never been on before and I have a LOT of questions. Good news is I am only going to start with one. When switching out the bcg to a lightweight bcg, is it necessary to switch out the buffer spring to what is advertised as "lower power" spring?

I have a diamondback db15 300blk 16" barrel which has the mid length gas system. I just want to make sure that in my quest for ultra lightweight, I don't mess up its reliability

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don’t do it.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Don’t do it.

Don't do the buffer spring, or don't try to make it lighter with a lighter BCG?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both/either reduce reliability

Sean
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by SeanD

Whats the best route to take to make it lighter but still reliable/accurate?

Last edited by Rlhunter0403; 08/02/22.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What is the weight loss objective - where are you trying to go, and to what purpose?

There's no wrong answer - but there is the probably of wrong advise if the objective is not known.

This isn't about talking you out of it, but hopefully giving input that has value, rather than a guess at what the desired end state is.

Your best source of easy weight loss is the barrel - going with a skinny profile barrel will net more loss typically than a lightweight BCG.

And, as noted above - you're most likely going to run into reliability issues without some investment in specialized buffers, buffer springs and gas management.

IMHO - most shooters going with lightweight BCGs are trying to increase cycle rates to cut down on competition times vs the weekend p-dog hunter.

The next easy weight cut is the hand guard - assuming a free floated tube or rail?

Going with the smallest diameter handguard, and no quad rails will pick up a few more ounces of savings, especially if you can use an alloy barrel nut.

If you can find a minimalist buttstock - a few more ounces shaved - all things I'd do before going to the BCG route.

Switching the upper to a "slick side" will have some savings, again - we're shaving fractions, not pounds.

JMHO

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/02/22.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
300 BLK with a mid-gas system. Interesting. Might not want to stray too far off the design specs. I'm just thinking out loud, it might be on the verge of under-gassed.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
What is the weight lose objective - where are you trying to go, and to what purpose?

There's no wrong answer - but there is the probably of wrong advise if the objective is not known.

This isn't about talking you out of it, but hopefully giving input that has value, rather than a guess at what the desired end state is.

Your best source of easy weight loss is the barrel - going with a skinny profile barrel will net more loss typically than a lightweight BCG.

And, as noted above - you're most likely going to run into reliability issues without some investment in specialized buffers, buffer springs and gas management.

IMHO - most shooters going with lightweight BCGs are trying to in crease cycle rates to cut down on competition times vs the weekend p-dog hunter.

The next easy weight cut is the hand guard - assuming a free floated tube or rail?

Going with the smallest diameter handguard, and no quad rails will pick up a few more ounces of savings, especially if you can use an alloy barrel nut.

If you can find a minimalist buttstock - a few more ounces shaved - all things I'd do before going to the BCG route.

Switching the upper to a "slick side" will have some savings, again - we're shaving fractions, not pounds.

JMHO

The objective is to make it a good lightweight deer/hog hunting rifle. Currently as it sits, its is 6lbs 13oz ready to hunt. Since the 300blk isnt a long range cartridge anyway I didnt put a magnified scope, only a vortex red dot (crossfire). I know sub 7lbs ready to hunt is pretty dang good, but as all of you know one can't help but think "how light can I get it?". Ultimately, if I could shave 1lb off I think I could be VERY happy with that

Last edited by Rlhunter0403; 08/02/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
In the AR game, that's fairly light.

Keep the rifle as is and build a lightweight rifle using the latest components. It will keep you shooting and you will end up with 2 rifles.

Pay attention to published weights and don't hesitate to call the manufacturer and ask if you can't find it.

Now the caveat, you'd be surprised how hard and much more expensive it is to build a lightweight AR.

I built a low 5lb rifle yrs ago using a Plum Crazy polymer lower and a heavily skelentonized upper, magnesium buffer tube, carbon handguard and a pencil barrel. It was crazy light but was crazy expensive, at least 1/2 the cost of a quality build more expensive than the most expensive rifle I had built to date.

I have seen 4lb rifles, but those guys are anal and the majority are extremely talented with access to a machine shop, you couldn't put a price on those rifles.

The 4 1/2lb Ar15 Article

3.25lb AR15

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Darryle
In the AR game, that's fairly light.

Keep the rifle as is and build a lightweight rifle using the latest components. It will keep you shooting and you will end up with 2 rifles.

Pay attention to published weights and don't hesitate to call the manufacturer and ask if you can't find it.

Now the caveat, you'd be surprised how hard and much more expensive it is to build a lightweight AR.

I built a low 5lb rifle yrs ago using a Plum Crazy polymer lower and a heavily skelentonized upper, magnesium buffer tube, carbon handguard and a pencil barrel. It was crazy light but was crazy expensive, at least 1/2 the cost of a quality build more expensive than the most expensive rifle I had built to date.

I have seen 4lb rifles, but those guys are anal and the majority are extremely talented with access to a machine shop, you couldn't put a price on those rifles.

The 4 1/2lb Ar15 Article

3.25lb AR15

I have a Del-Ton light weight 16" carbine length barrel with an A2 front sight on a Tennessee Arms polymer lower. It has an AR15 BCG instead of the M-16 BCG and a standard GI collapsible stock. It's just under 6 lbs without a rear sight. Putting a plastic Magpul rear sight and it's just 6 lbs. I supposed I could take off the A2 flash hider and put on a thread protector and get back under 6 lbs. Everything beyond that is going to get pretty expensive.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KWG, did you ever get that barrel to shoot last year? Did the handguard make any difference?

Romans 5:1
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently put together a new one in 5.56. Faxon 16” pencil barrel, ALG handguard, KE arms polymer lower, larue mbt2, full auto BCG, H2 buffer, holosun RDS on reptilla mount. It’s 5.51#. There are better ways to reduce weight than going to a lighter BCG.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
KWG, did you ever get that barrel to shoot last year? Did the handguard make any difference?
Yes I did. The free float hand guard made a difference. Another member here turned me on to Unbranded. An AR parts vendor and I picked up several free float hand guards. But, it was a Midway barrel and after using my pistol (10") bore scope I see the rifling was a bit rough with machine marks so I could never get it to shoot like I thought it should. I haven't spent the money yet but my next barrel is going to be a Ballistic Advantage stainless. As I recall, 79S who lives in Alaska has the BA stainless barrel and he likes the way it shoots. I have 2 other BA barrels and they shoot well. Just because it's a bargain doesn't mean it's a real value.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You’d be better off starting from scratch than replacing parts probablyGonna be expensive to save ounces for sure

Look up aero thunder ranch lower
You could mill that area out and lose some ounces.

Carbon handguard and if they make it a carbon pistol grip

Titanium parts and pins

Wilson combats minimalist stock or something like it from carbon fiber would help I’m sure

Smaller Barrel profile and go with a shorter barrel pinned and welded if you need a muzzle device. Although losing the muzzle device would save weight as well.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I recently put together a new one in 5.56. Faxon 16” pencil barrel, ALG handguard, KE arms polymer lower, larue mbt2, full auto BCG, H2 buffer, holosun RDS on reptilla mount. It’s 5.51#. There are better ways to reduce weight than going to a lighter BCG.

This is the way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Start with this link to AR parts weight database. This will give you a good idea on how to save weight. Just weigh your easily replaceable parts and find where to shave weight. If your rifle is functioning fine right now I wouldn't mess with the BC, Buffer, buffer spring.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been looking at the POF Prescott Rogue in 6.5CM that weighs 7 lbs. That's a very nice weight for a spot and stalk hog rifle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403

Get rid of the heavy handguard and go with a old military style split handguard. Way lighter.z

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403

Get rid of the heavy handguard and go with a old military style split handguard. Way lighter.z
Add in the delta ring, end cap and heat shields and there are lots of rails that are lighter.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Start with a lighter barrel and light accessories (grip, stock, hand guard, sights/scope/mount.

Leaving the buffer, BCG and spring matched to the gas port is how you maintain reliability. It’s a system that works well but the weight is needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.