Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A buddy about 40 years back had a snub 5-shot stainless S&W .44 Special revolver. IIRC some kind of limited edition. One of the nicest revolvers I can recall, his primary carry piece.

It got stolen in a vehicle break-in, broad daylight, sad deal.
Was he forced to leave it in the car as he went into the Post Office or something?

Yes.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My S&W 24's and 624s will be the last handguns I get rid of, to my mind they are not the least or the most but just right........with Mackay Sagebrush warm loads for the 44 Special it will do anything I need done with a handgun.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A buddy about 40 years back had a snub 5-shot stainless S&W .44 Special revolver. IIRC some kind of limited edition. One of the nicest revolvers I can recall, his primary carry piece.

It got stolen in a vehicle break-in, broad daylight, sad deal.
Was he forced to leave it in the car as he went into the Post Office or something?

Yes.
Yep, that's the predictable result of such policies, i.e., more guns in criminal hands. As usual, unintended consequences of leftist policies.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This was a crappy way for Mike and Taffin to have a "fight" in the pages of a magazine. Pure b.s.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Guess Mike never read Sixguns by Keith ? Own both a 329 44 Mag and Colt New Service in 44 Special, find that 44 Russian level loads are nice to shoot in both. Doubt anything shot with a "Keith" 44 Special load in either would be any less dead than with a 44 Magnum.

Often wondered how much real difference there is between a late production New Service and an Anaconda ?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just an old time gun rag fake controversy article dreamed up by the magazine editor. They've been doing that since before I was born and I'm 60 years old.

I like my 44 special. I bought this 44 in deference to a 45 Colt on purpose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Just an old time gun rag fake controversy article dreamed up by the magazine editor. They've been doing that since before I was born and I'm 60 years old.

I like my 44 special. I bought this 44 in deference to a 45 Colt on purpose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I don't know. Seems like he's making a legitimate point. The notion that .44 Special ammo was particularly accurate has been around forever. He's making the point that, like any other caliber, it depends on factors having to do with the particular gun much more than the characteristics of the round itself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My handgun shooting has included a Ruger flat-top Bisley 44 Special (5" bbl, blued) , and a S&W 629-3 44 mag (4" bbl) , among others.

I loaded them both with NOE 432-265 cast bullets (265 grain. WFN design) to ~1000+ fps. Very pleasant to shoot. Accurate enough for my needs (~ 2" at 25 yards, but did not try to work up a "best accuracy" load for either).

In the end, I sold the Ruger Bisley flat-top 44 special, and kept the S&W 629-3 , 44 mag. My justification was "soft", but I figured I'd keep the one that would be easier to feed (easier get brass) and sell at a layer time (figure more than a few people wouldn't know what a 44 special was, or something like that. As I wrote, my logic was "soft"). I could load up the 44 mag faster, if desired.

My reloads made them the "same" cartridge (265 grain cast at ~1000 fps). It either proves the 44 special can be loaded UP, or that the 44 mag is useful loaded DOWN. I just wanted one "big bore" revolver, so I sold the Ruger flat-top 44 special. Good gun. Good cartridge. Just simplifying things, not making any statements.

I have sold off my 357 mags, and most of my 38 specials, for the same reason: simplifying , having less in number but shooting the keepers more.. A moderately-loaded 44 mag (or bumped up 44 special) -IMHO- is a more effective hunting /defense round than a 357 mag. My article might've had the title, " The 38 special, 357 mag, 44 special and 45 Colt aren't so special or "magnumy". ". (might even include the 22 long rifle too in that title). I had a stainless Ruger Redhawk (5" bbl) in 45 Colt. That's gone too. Wasn't any more special than a moderate 44 mag load. Poof, it is gone. Simplify.

As one poster wrote, "...he has to write about something.". I'm ok with his title, premise and results.

I've been paring down my guns the past 10+ yards, and keeping only the ones I will shoot-and shooting them more. The keepers have to earn their spot. The S&W 629-3 with a 265 grain cast (or 240 grain jacketed) at 1000-1100++ fps meets my needs and is very versatile. It (the load, and the handgun) has been the reason I have sold many of my other handguns as it covers a lot of bases. Nothing is too special to me. Use it, or loose it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've always thought a good 44 special made an ideal home defense revolver. A .429 bullet at medium velocity does damage without a ton of muzzle blast compared to most magnums.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gotta stir the pot once in a while. I recall Ross Seyfried writing one denigrating the .458 Win Mag.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are special to me!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by lastround
They are special to me!

What is special about them?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Gotta stir the pot once in a while. I recall Ross Seyfried writing one denigrating the .458 Win Mag.

I read this a lot and I don't understand why people feel the writers are stirring the pot.

Everything Venturino points out in that article is true. It might not mesh with people's preconceived notions but it's all fact.

If a shooter doesn't understand why he's using a certain type of equipment or technique, he's probably not worth listening to.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

I read this a lot and I don't understand why people feel the writers are stirring the pot.

Everything Venturino points out in that article is true. It might not mesh with people's preconceived notions but it's all fact.

If a shooter doesn't understand why he's using a certain type of equipment or technique, he's probably not worth listening to.

Spot on.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mike's kind of a one size fits all handgun reloader. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but he uses standardized fare for handguns that he obviously doesn't for BPCR or what most of us do in our centerfire rifles.

It's not difficult to explain why so many shot mediocre, but it doesn't make much sense to go to the trouble of measuring a revolver throat and not fit it, whatever it measures. Even more so to expect obturation cure the ills where the pressures aren't real great to begin with. And Mike knows this.

I'm not in the "inherent accuracy" camp either, but like Mike am in the fit, dimension and platform camp. That doesn't mean I'm not stirring the pot, because there's plenty who disagree (with evidence).

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a 3" S&W 624 Lew Horton 44 Special was nothing special in the accuracy department with a lot of loads.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by HawkI
...it doesn't make much sense to go to the trouble of measuring a revolver throat and not fit it, whatever it measures. Even more so to expect obturation cure the ills where the pressures aren't real great to begin with. And Mike knows this..

One important potential variable overlooked (or at least not commented on) in Mike V's article ( "44 special not so special ") is the possible presence of "thread choke" in his 44 special revolvers ( first 1/2" or so of barrel being constricted down due to tight fit of threaded barrel cranked into the frame) . It's great to take throat measurements, but to fully get useful data for best accuracy is to push a soft lead slug from the muzzle into the barrel 1-2" ,them push out measure bore/groove diameter ahead of frame threads. Then push another soft lead slug all the way through the barrel (and feeling if there is any more resistance in passing through the barrel/frame section), and measuring bore/groove of that slug-then compare bore/groove diameters of both slugs ( " 1"-2" deep" slug vs " fully through the barrel" slug).

If there is thread choke constriction, it will offset any "benefit" of matching bullet diameter to throat size, as the bullet gets squeezed down going through the frame area, then is "too small) to seal gases going down the barrel-likely resulting in reduced (" inherit "?) accuracy.

The solution to "thread choke" is to either fire-lap the barrel to lap open the constricted area to true bore/groove diameter, or have a gunsmith do a "Taylor throat" job which reams out the constriction. In my view, taking only throat measurement , without analysis of potential thread choke, is wasted time (and money in ammo).

Mike V's follow up article could be: "Those not-so-special 44 specials get thread choke measurements, treatment, and re-tested for accuracy. Was it the cartridge itself, or the manufacturing process the basis of my complaint about my 44 special's mediocre accuracy?"

My guess is that there was was an issue with "thread choke" in a couple of those revolvers he owned. If you don't measure for thread choke, all you can do is test unknowingly-and leave a lot of potential accuracy on the table.

Don't blame the cartridge itself, blame the dimensions of the cylinder throats, bore/groove diameter (consistency of ALL areas of the barrel as well as relationship to cylinder throat dimension, degree of throat/bore mis-alignment, degree cylinder carry up/ " cocked" rotational movement, then there is finding a reloaded round for best accuracy. They all work together.

Not knocking the author, but maybe his evaluation criteria was incomplete by not including thread choke impact on accuracy. What if each of his revolvers shot <1" groups at 25 yards after thread choke treatment? Would that make them "special"? I enjoyed the article, but he isn't the only gun writer that omits possible thread choke issues when reporting on revolver accuracy.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I don’t think I’ve shot a full box of Specials. Now 44 mags loaded a little bit faster (1000-1100) oh yes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had two Smith 624s, sold them both. The 29s and 629s do the same plus more. Still shoot 44 special in them as I use up the reloads. Probably best in the future to just use 44mag brass.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by lastround
They are special to me!

What is special about them?

JWP,
The reason for my statement is this:
I own three Ruger RedHawks in 44 Magnum and two Smith & Wesson 44 Magnums, a 629 and a 29. I shoot all of those revolvers but not as much as I used to due to the fact that I’ve reached the age of 78. I’m really beginning to feel the effect of those years. I still like to ride out into the woods and look for varmints and other targets of opportunity. I like shooting the larger calibers and still cast my own bullets. On those trips I usually take along my 24, my 624, or my 5.5” Blackhawk (a 44 special) maybe even my GP 100 with a 3” barrel because they are lighter to carry, accurate for the distances I’m going to shoot, and they are fun to shoot. And I like them. That makes them special to me.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.